This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricks to watching tv

anyone have any tricks to watching tv? I really miss my tv watching days!
    Kim
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Always make sure the top of your tv is slightly lower than eye level. If its above eye level more of your eyes have to open which accelerates drying and causes eye strain. This is a good tip for monitor users too.

Comment

I bought some panoptyx that were clear. Before my upper plugs were in I would wear them when I watched t.v. Onion goggles would probably help also.

Comment

I second the low-view approach, but ...

Looking a bit downward to the TV and computer screen made a huge difference for me when I was most symptomatic; but I favor using protective eyewear as a long-term proposition, because prolonged craning of the neck either upward or downward can trigger muscle tension responses that produce problems of their own. . .

Alas, our eyes were meant to be fairly open when we view things, and so while resorting to measures that help reduce the lid aperture can help our eyes, these same measures may also strain the spine. . .

This is yet another reason to love protective eyewear, because it can help us sustain normal postures even as we struggle with DES. . .
        <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

I've had a lot of calls and emails from people who wear onion goggles for TV and reading... I'm sorry Kim, if I remember right they don't fit you

Other than that, I don't have any useful personal experience or examples to share because I rarely watch TV anyway and when I do, I abuse my eyes . My vice is occasionally watching West Wing CDs after Chaidie's in bed... at that time of night my eyes are running ragged, my sclerals are screaming for removal, and my lids are screaming for a ricepack. So what do I do? I sit there with my lids lowered, head tilted back, blinking constantly and overdosing on NutraTear.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Tv

Yep onion goggles don;t fit. I have a small head (LOL!)
            If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Blink rate

It is very important to remember to blink at a regular rate when watching TV or using the computer. Your blink rate will go down significantly to three blinks or even two a minute without even knowing it when doing these two activities. This is very bad for us Dry Eye Syndrome peeps. One way to improve your blink rate is spend 5 minutes a day consciously blinking every 3 seconds. This a full blink with your eye being closed momentarily. This will help you to do it regularly the rest of the day. It took me about a month or two for it to became a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by kcoffiner View Post
                anyone have any tricks to watching tv? I really miss my tv watching days!
                Kim
                The use of a humidifier directly under your eyes (or near them so the humidity reach your eyes) is key. I use one about a foot underneath my face when I'm on the computer (as in right now), and the difference is nothing short of a miracle. I can be on the computer all day while before 2 minutes would have had lasting consequences. I plan on finding a solution for TV and reading in other rooms as well, such as purchasing a smaller, more portable humidifier.

Comment

Working...
                X