This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving -is it possible

I am eager to start driving again but my parents believe that because of my dry eyes it is impossible. Looking for proof that it is indeed possible. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Kim
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

2 pairs of Wiley-X or 7EYE "climate control" glasses. One pair with clear lenses for night, and the other pair with dark polarized lenses for day. That way, you won't have to deal with AC or heated air upsetting your eyes. I'm assuming you'll be wearing your new scleral lenses, so good vision's not a problem.

Try out the models of glasses to see which ones give you the most peripheral vision---Wiley's, maybe---and which ones hug your face and keep out the breezes.

That, and a driver's license, and some earplugs to wear while you're parents are telling you it's impossible....

I have always driven, even with my worst symptoms, by using Panoptx. Not to say I haven't been uncomfortable at times...I usually can't drive for long hours, and I usually get some sort of headache on road trips, but heck---around town, doing errands, no problem.

Calli

Comment

driving

Thanks Calli
      If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Wiley-X Brick for me. I occasionally have to push them a centimeter or so away from my face to let them defog if it's very humid.

I also usually have the a/c only coming out through the lower vents not blowing at my face. On the other hand, if I still lived in Florida, I'd probably be having it go full blast on all vents.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I Drive!

Well, DES can certainly make driving uncomfortable. I think it is absolutely something you should experiment with. I am a -3D myope, so naturally I have to wear glasses when I drive. During the day I wear my Wiley-X JP2s, which have proven to be very helpful. As Rebecca mentioned, fogging can indeed be a problem, so I often have to crack the windows, fiddle with the A/C and pull the glasses away from my face. The frequency with which I do this depends on the weather and how much I am sweating. You do have to be careful, as fogging can obscure your vision dramatically if left unchecked. Still, definitely worth the hassle, in my opinion. Driving without any protective eyewear can start to suck pretty quickly. I generally minimize my use of heat in the winter and A/C in the summer. I set the climate control to blow air on my feet when possible (and not my face) and don't use the recirculation function with my A/C (usually a button near your climate control) because that keeps drying out the air again and again instead of cooling fresh air. In my opinion this keeps the humidity up a little bit. One last tip: don't leave your artificial tears in the glovebox in the summer. They will be way too hot to use for a while when you get back in the car! In the end, you will have to decide for yourself if your eye pain is too intense to operate a car without dangerous distraction/visual impairment. I encourage you to give it a shot and wish you the best of luck!
          Eli

Comment

I drive all the time--but w/my drops always handy! I usually don't go too far as my eyes will get too dry but short distances I am ok.

Now when I go to Louisville -a 2 hour drive to my doctor-my parents drive.. Fortunately, my drive to work is less than 15 minutes. When I lived in LA it was really hard as the traffic out there is horrendous.

Good luck!
            Jenny

Comment

I drive but I can never depend on driving cuz i just can't trust my eye..But in good eye days when I do no problem occurs except that my head rarely aches. So my opinion is to try and see what happens. I haven't tried the glasses because I'm in Egypt but they seem to be very helpful.
              "Give me a firm place to stand, and I will move the earth!", Archemedes.

Comment

Working...
              X