Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any idea why my dry-eye symptoms only occur in the evening?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea why my dry-eye symptoms only occur in the evening?

I have been suffering with DES for over a year now and it's really getting me down

My eyes tend to be fine during the day, but every evening without fail they just burn up and I cant do any reading, watch tv, computer, etc...

As far as im aware, I have no allergys, no other illness, or family history of illnesses. I'm only 21 which is relativley young for DES and Blephitus I've been told.

Can you offer any suggestions as to why the symptoms only occur in the evening? Myself and my doctor are confused and any ideas you may have could help greatly!

Hi there
    This is something I have noticed also. I tend to think it is an accumulation of use, tiredness and exposure to drying agents such as draughts, central heating etc. The mysteries of this ailment are many and varied!
    Barry

Comment

In Dr Latkany's book he says sleeping if vital as it promotes healing, I think that symptoms get worse during the day due to the 'wear and tear' of the day. Probably the earlier we get them in the day the worse the damage is or something.
      just keep swimming...

Comment

I have the very same problem -- it's so frustrating. I'm comfortable all day, then, at 6:00 without fail, my eyeballs burn with a fiery fury. Then, suddenly, they erupt in tears. (Especially difficult and embarrassing because I cannot wipe them -- I'm a quadriplegic.) What works to soothe them is a cold, wet cloth pressed hard against them. I've also been applying eye drops twice a day (tried several varieties) -- with no appreciable effect. I typically massage my eyes with the wet cloth at least twice throughout the evening.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Comment

I too experience this problem. I get a couple fairly comfortable hours when I first get up in the morning (tolerable discomfort) and then it's downhill from there. I absolutely must do my warm compresses before noon because my eyes are simply too irritated after that to put heat anywhere near them. The only thing that's helping me so far is to try to get a 1-2 hour "nap" late afternoon. I've become good at "listening to TV". My evenings are still terrible and I have to apply cold compresses fairly regularly to make it to bed time. If I can't get that 1-2 hour break, even the cold compresses don't help and my irritation spills over to the next morning.

The doc I'm currently seeing says he is absolutely convinced it's an allergy -- but I'm not having much luck with allergy meds. I do think if we can find a way to take "eye-breaks" during the day, it lessens the evening "crash". During weekends, I have no problem building in mini-naps every couple of hours if needed -- even a half hour. But obviously a very difficult routine to keep up in the long-term if a person actually wants to have a life.

Comment

Why dry eyes in the evening

It has been one and a half years. Can you people please update your eye condition and let me know why dry eye symptom only worsen in the evening. When i wake up, my eyes were good for the whole day. But from 7pm onwards, my eyes burn and the symptoms become worse and i feel like i wanna go to sleep although physically i am not tired at all.

Comment

Originally posted by chelvis7 View Post
              It has been one and a half years. Can you people please update your eye condition and let me know why dry eye symptom only worsen in the evening. When i wake up, my eyes were good for the whole day. But from 7pm onwards, my eyes burn and the symptoms become worse and i feel like i wanna go to sleep although physically i am not tired at all.
              when will this be answered?? ):
              Pritesh.

Comment

Any one help out with why the nights are worse

Comment

My eyes are also worse at night 7 pm onwards then after 10 pm it’s eye drops every 15 mins

Comment

Mine are also worse at night simply because they have had enough exposure to everything. In the morning they have been rested and the damage has had a chance to be repaired from the day before. Often computer use is killer so if you have been on computer at work all day they will have been exhausted by days end. I do not work and rarely use the computer during the day but mine are usually toast come evening regardless of what I have done all day but are better if I stay off of the computer.

Comment

Hi SirDryEye
                      Warm compress might be more helpful than drops, or rest your eyes for 15-30 min. in such situation.

Comment

Working...
                      X