This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with dry eye better outdoors?

My dry eye is drastically better outdoors, like when skiing or doing yardwork, yet it seems I am the only one. Anyone else?
    Eric

Yeah, I think it's generally true for me, but with the caveat that if the air's polluted (smoke or smog), that bothers me.

I'm pretty sure I blink more, and make more tears when I go outside. If I'm doing something physical like gardening or hiking, I hardly notice my dry eyes. If I get too much sun or wind (or too many hours), though, my eyes get raw.

C

Comment

I am near nothing at home, but different story outdoor.
      Sensitive to wind, even air movements especially in winter.
      Worse at night.

Comment

I totally confirm that. Being outside brings me considerable relief, especially when there's no wind.

Comment

I improve drastically when I go outside. It really is the strangest thing because I could sit there with my face in front of an air con unit and my eyes would feel terrible but if I go outside I can have the harshest wind in my face and my eyes will feel fine.

I think I also make more tears when I'm outside. Also I think there is something about the 'artificial' air indoors which makes my tears evaporate quicker as apposed to the 'real' air outdoors.

Other than those theories I have no clue as to why it happens! Think I should ditch my desk job and get a job as a gardener...

Comment

yes, noticed this too, much better outside.
            just keep swimming...

Comment

I asked my ophthamologist about it and she said that most people do better outdoors, but from what I read here it seems the opposite.

The whole reason I brought it up is because I feel so good outside. The dryness kicks in within 10-15min of coming indoors or getting into the car. I wonder if I have the ability to produce tears outside, then what is the problem inside.

Eric

Comment

Hi Eric, I have wondered the same thing so often. I just got back from walking for an hour. I live near the desert, the wind is blowing today and the air is bone dry, and yet my eyes are better than when I left home.

I have wondered if indoor allergens, for me dust and dog, might exacerbate the irritation. I have tried air filters, they didn't seem to help. But on days when I can leave the windows open and have a breeze blow through the house, my eyes seem to improve.

It's a mystery to me.

Lynda

Comment

air conditioned in-door of coz not good...

car, bus, train, all with air con plus trapped place usually dryer than the outside environment!

Best at home saying no air con, no fluroscent light on.
                  Sensitive outside with wind, and direct sun light

Shopping Mall just depends on its air condition state, summer it is large and dry, worse than outside. Winter it is better than outside.

Worse get on the bus, and it is hard to instill eye drop in the middle of the travel and many time I am terrible when go down the bus.

Comment

Exception to the Rule

Maybe I am the exeption to the rule. I am considerably worse when I am out of doors, so as a result I am becoming more and more house-bound, which is terrible for my state of mind. I find that my eyes are so photo-sensitive that I cannot bear to be outside even with sun glasses on. The wind also poses a problem. I wish I could share if everyone's fortune that there is some relief when outside. Additionally, driving is becoming more and more of a challenge due to the outside lighting conditions.

Comment

I'm much better outdoors. In fact, my eyes feel normal outdoors - except in bright sunshine and really hot weather. Even wind is fine (Aqueous deficency is not my major problem) and seems to stimulate my tears. Inside it's the opposite, fans and air con are bad, but again, a hot room is always worse for me.

I don't understand why but the differences i can figure are:
                      1. Air quality (which suggests allergies)
                      2. Lighting (office lighting kills my eyes as i'm very photo sensitive)
                      3. I'm not usually focusing a lot when i'm outside so my eyes are more relaxed.

Comment

Ditto - I too am better outdoors ; does,nt matter whether its rain snow or sun
                        I but it down to an allergic component to my DE , dust mites maybe ,
                        Also we are caravaners and i'm always much better when away in the caravan - again the great outdoors
                        Central heating/air con blow fan heaters all make things worse.

Comment

Working...
                        X