This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• request for advice re carpets

I have come to the conclusion that the carpet I have at home could be a major contributing factor in my dry eye problem...it's very old, and shedding badly - I get thick layers of dust settling all the time in spite of regular vacuuming.

In an ideal world I would of course rip it all out and have wooden floors....unortunately, I live in an apartment block and it's a requirement of the lease that all floors have carpets because of the noise factor for neighbours...I have no choice!

I think I need to replace it, and am wondering what would be the best type to get - some say completely man-made is best, but I have read that these carpets often contain formaldehyde and other chemicals which contain toxic vapours which could be just as bad.

the other option would be to go for a wool/nylon mixture.

Does anyone have any experience/views/ideas....anything at all would be appreciated as I just don't know where to start - and it's going to cost a fortune

I'd go for bare floors. Hardwood, linoleum, tile........something you can wetmop clean. Do you have pets? Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Cork or marmoleum can be pretty quiet...and very clean. And environmentally friendly!

Comment

Lucy - no, I don't have pets, and I don't have any option in my choice of flooring...I HAVE to have carpet, it's a requirement of my lease - no way around it.

lboogie - even cork would not be acceptable.

what to do???

Comment

I have a berber carpet in my house, and it is a tight weave. It may trap dirt and dust deeply over the long run, but it also seems to vacuum well and have a pretty solid surface with the fibers twisted down rather than frayed upward. So, that might be something to consider.

Also, can you have the air ducts (cold air return and heat registers) cleaned where you live? I just had mine done, and I think it was the first time this 1947-year-old house had it done. It made such a huge difference. I wish I had done it when we bought the place eight years ago!

--Liz

Comment

Working...
          X