This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather connection

I notice a difference with weather. For me it is less what is going on inside like air or heat but what the outside weather is. I have been tested for everything under the sun. I have lived in 3 places since this which is Ca,Fl,and MI. Ca is where this started my dry eye/bleph. There I had constant dryness/pain and blepheritis that could not be controlled both inside and outside the eye. In MI in the winter or even colder days I get such severe eye pain and migraines from the pain and pressure. On warmer days now that is spring/summer I have less head aches and much less eye pain then on a cold day it is worse again. When in FL I use maybe 2 or 3 drops daily and have much less pain/scratchy. I always know something is wrong with my eyes but the difference is amazing. The inside of course with heat/air does not help and can never be directed at me like a fan feels like torture but the outside will often determine how I feel to extremes. Does anyone else see that?

Gina, I know this will sound crazy, but I have trigeminal neuralgia plus the Lasik/dry eye issues. My hubby has always said that he thinks I have 'arthritis' in my eyes. He is elaborating it to the weather somehow and every once in awhile someone will bring up a comparable subject.

I can understand living in several different places would be a big change. Here in Mich, we have the worst winter weather which makes blowing furnace air, car heaters the pitts. I feel better without the heat on and I'm lucky that A/C running 24/7 in hot weather does not seem to bother me more than I'm normally bothered. I know A/C takes moisture out of the air, but i am ok as long as I keep up the drops. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

This is my first summer with dry eye, and I find that I have trouble being outside. I wear moisture goggles 24-7, but I think I will have to go to goggles to maintain the moisture on my eyes. I have evaporative dry eye so the wind really does me in. Someimes when I'm wearing goggles, I feel like my tear production stops. DO you need air to make tears? Silly question I'm sure. Does anyone have any advice for the upcoming summer months.

Melissa
      pianolady

Comment

Melissa, A/C does not bother me. What I really mean is that air conditioned air does not contribute to worse dry eyes. I cannot be near a vent, obviously. But, some folks are bothered when the moisture is taken out of the air. This is odd, because when I'm outdoors I'm most comfortable in moist, warm air. I do wear my goggles alot both in and outdoors. I must say I need glasses for correction, so I have glasses on or my RX goggles.
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

UK weather...........!

Well, here in the UK, we're not as fortunate as you are with our weather. Generally, I'm better in the fresh air, and the more I'm outside the better, but I cannot tolerate severe heat/sunshine, which effects me very quickly. Sunbathing is out of the question, so I guess it's lucky for me I don't live in a sunnier climate, although if the weathermen are to be believed, we are actually going to get a heatwave............I hope they are, as usual wrong!!

Comment

Hi Gina,

I hate the dry heat and severe summers in Southern Ca. I used to like being outside but ever since this dry eye thing started, I can't stand it. I go out just long enough to do what's absolutely necessary. Water my plants and get the mail, take care of the animals, and that's about it. One of my previous optometrist told me to move to the beach, that my eyes would improve because of all the moisture in the air, that was his answer to my dry eyes as if I could just go spend a million $'s on a new house,lol. Then he wanted me to get Lasik after all my dry eye complaints. Needless to say, I no longer go to him.

I also can't have the fan directly hit me or heater for that matter and get bad headaches from the heat and sun. It never gets very cold where I'm at, so don't know if my eyes would be any better in the cold. I do a little better when it's raining though.

Comment

Hi. Thanks. I know everyone is different in how they response. In any place I know something is wrong but in dry climates and with the cold it is horrid. Before I left for Fl it was the start of winter and I was in crying eye pain with migraines. I get to Fl and I had eye pain but no crying and no migraines. Then I come back at the end of winter to Mi and I am back crying with migraines/eye pain. Now this week it has been hot in MI and my eyes are doing better. Always pain but not the extreme. So cal I don't know though because it is spring always but I think being so dry and the wind was torture on me. I have no clue but what I do know is I have been to 10 eye docs and like 40 apts in 1.5 years and up till a few weeks ago crying pain. Too much to worry about with all of lifes elements that can effect health.

Comment

well found hypothesis GinaJ for your discovery on weather connection. Well i fink that my dry eye were partly due to weather!!... I can't resist too cold weather while too hot weather irritates me....during these kind of weather I develop more mucus...

Well, sometimes I say to myself... maybe i should be tornado from x-men....Control the weather
                If I have to choose between being happy and sad, I''ll choose being happy....... and you?... so.... stop choosing being unhappy (yeah its hard but....)....stop depressing........ live!!!

Comment

oh btw... aircon doesn't bother me... anytype of aircon i mean.. i feel the air cleaner with air con and it is good for my dry eye.. However:
                  1. air con vents directed toward my eyes irritate me!!
                  so, naturally, a fan directed toward me will have the same irritating effects... and with long term exposure I may develop headache and inflamed eyes..
                  2. when the aircon is dirty.. then eventually its bad!
                  3. when you put your aircon to "dry" mode which suck all humidity from the room, then its hell...!!!
                  If I have to choose between being happy and sad, I''ll choose being happy....... and you?... so.... stop choosing being unhappy (yeah its hard but....)....stop depressing........ live!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X