Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best treatments for MGD. Moisture chamber glasses..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best treatments for MGD. Moisture chamber glasses..

Hi

I've had MGD/blepharitis for a couple of years now and it's making my eyes red and dry, when it's really bad my eyelids can be swollen.

Currently I'm treating it with warm compresses and lid massage to get the oil flowing from the clogged glands. But I am dying to get better treatment.

There's is some treatments i would like to know a bit more about. Especially moisture chamber glasses and lipiflow.

Lipiflow really sounds great with it treating the root of the problem but I'm not sure if it does.

I am most interested in finding out how moisture chamber glasses work. Are they a treatment option for MGD?.. If so, how will they provide relief?

I've seen a range of goggles on the dry eye shop with varied prices and I'm really considering to order one.

Would very much appreciate your answers.

Originally posted by Marcus from Scandinavia View Post

I am most interested in finding out how moisture chamber glasses work. Are they a treatment option for MGD?.. If so, how will they provide relief?
    Moisture chamber glasses aren't so much about treating the disease(s) but rather protecting us from the symptoms so that we can get on with our lives. They aren't specific to any particular type of dry eye (Sjogrens, MGD, LASIK etc).

The point of moisture chambers is to
    (1) eliminate airflow over the eyes. For anyone with a compromised tear film, air movement over the eyes (not just wind but even slight movements from heating, a/c or just moving around in a room) contributes to evaporation and breaking up the tear film more quickly - and can perhaps stimulate hypersensitive nerves according to some theories;
    (2) increase humidity around the eyes, which is helpful under many dry eye conditions and especially during say computer use when you aren't blinking as much as you should be.

It could also be beneficial in some environments by keeping out allergens. When you have a poor tear film on your eyes, your corneas aren't as well protected from stuff floating around in the air as they would be otherwise.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
      Moisture chamber glasses aren't so much about treating the disease(s) but rather protecting us from the symptoms so that we can get on with our lives. They aren't specific to any particular type of dry eye (Sjogrens, MGD, LASIK etc).

The point of moisture chambers is to
      (1) eliminate airflow over the eyes. For anyone with a compromised tear film, air movement over the eyes (not just wind but even slight movements from heating, a/c or just moving around in a room) contributes to evaporation and breaking up the tear film more quickly - and can perhaps stimulate hypersensitive nerves according to some theories;
      (2) increase humidity around the eyes, which is helpful under many dry eye conditions and especially during say computer use when you aren't blinking as much as you should be.

It could also be beneficial in some environments by keeping out allergens. When you have a poor tear film on your eyes, your corneas aren't as well protected from stuff floating around in the air as they would be otherwise.
      Thank you.

How will the glasses increase the humidity around the eyes?

Im just trying to figure out what differs these moisture goggles from normal ones...

Comment

How will the glasses increase the humidity around the eyes?

Im just trying to figure out what differs these moisture goggles from normal ones...
        Good questions....

If you seal off the air immediately surrounding your eyes, the humidity increases. There is moisture in your eyes and also body heat will produce a little bit and if it's under a seal, there is nowhere for the moisture to go.

With different types of glasses and goggles it is all a question of degree. Even with normal glasses, you will have a small amount of protection. Then if you get something with a curved, wraparound style frame you get more protection and more humidity. (For example, some computer glasses like Gunnars, or wrap style sports sunglasses.) Then if you add any kind of shield or foam that helps to close off the gaps between the frame and your skin, you get more protection.

The extreme end would be something like swim goggles, but it is not safe or practical to wear something that is completely airtight. So the best "moisture chambers" are the ones that leave a small gap at the top, bottom or sides to allow some air exchange and also to prevent too much fogging of the lenses.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you. I get it now

I have decided to order both moisture chambers and Tranquileyes goggles.

I think I'm gonna go for the onion goggles. They are quite cheap and rather small (I have a rather small head so I prefer smaller seizes..

But, I just wanna ask concerning the different moisture chambers. The difference in prices can be quite big. Is it just the design/brand/model that decides it or does the more expensive ones have some extra functions that benefits your eyes?..

Comment

I've been reading about the different goggles on the dry eye shop and I'm choosing between onion goggles and Wiley-X AIRRAGE.

Which is smallest and would be most suitable for a small head and mainly indoor use?

Comment

But, I just wanna ask concerning the different moisture chambers. The difference in prices can be quite big. Is it just the design/brand/model that decides it or does the more expensive ones have some extra functions that benefits your eyes?..
              You can get really good coverage with a cheap product. The cost determines the quality as a pair of glasses/goggles overall but not specifically as a moisture chamber. So for example, in terms of protection, the onion goggles are just as good as something that costs $100-200. The difference is...
              - how they look;
              - durability;
              - no removeable eyecup (for example 7Eye and WileyX glasses have removable foam eyecups that can be replaced) and
              - fewer options on sizing. Onion Goggles are only one size and even if they are the right "size" that doesn't mean they will form a perfect seal for you because it depends on your facial bone structure too.

If you take a fairly small glasses size I think the onion goggles are a really good idea to try. Also the Dustbusters (even cheaper) - they don't have the same kind of close-fitting thick foam, but for some people they will fit better, and they're available in both clear and dark lenses.

I'm choosing between onion goggles and Wiley-X AIRRAGE.... Which is smallest and would be most suitable for a small head and mainly indoor use?
              I'll have to go try some on to remind myself. They are quite different from each other but both relatively small. I am also expecting, in a couple of days, a new small frame from WileyX which I have not tried yet. If it is really good I will ask them to make it available with clear lenses too. If I don't post again here re: sizing in the next day or so would you please email me to remind me (Mondays are really busy days for me). Thanks.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Need some guidance

I was just looking in the shop the other day and many questions about what would be convenient for me arised.

1) Which are the mostly recommended for using for example at job, in the street, etc and which are the mostly recommended to use at the privacy of your home? I ask this because in the photos most of the glasses don`t seem to be ridiculous or flamboyant but I`ve read post where people feels unconfortable using them in public.
                2) Are there any untinted glasses with the characteristics of the Bora, the Briza, Cape or Churada? (I think those are fine to use on the street but not at an office or on your home as thay are tinted)
                3) Does any of those glasses "produce" moisture or all of them are based upon on keeping moisture from not "escaping" the chambers? What`s the difference between goggles and moisture chambers?
                4) The night protection items are mostly recommended for what kind of dry eye problems?
                5) Do they ship products to South America?

btw my problem is that my meibomian glands do not produce enough oil (they are not clogged or inflamed, they simply do not produce enough oil) due to the use of accutane. I suffer mostly from dry eyes when I use the computer. Warm showers are wonderful for my eyes.

Also, which are the most recommended tears for people that lack of proper production of oil in their eyes?

I would be grateful if anyone could give me some guidance with the googles and moisture chambers.

Comment

Hi there,
                  Originally posted by Ro dri View Post
                  1) Which are the mostly recommended for using for example at job, in the street, etc and which are the mostly recommended to use at the privacy of your home? I ask this because in the photos most of the glasses don`t seem to be ridiculous or flamboyant but I`ve read post where people feels unconfortable using them in public.
                  I think that the only glasses most people would be truly comfortable in in an office environment are:
                  Ziena Oasis
                  MEG (not in my shop, it's on the seefit site)

Everything else, whether cheap or expensive, is going to look unusual if it has a clear lens (or light-adjusting lens when it's clear, for indoors).

Of all the others, I would rank them roughly as follows in terms of how dorky they will look in an OFFICE ENVIRONMENT

(Best to worst)
                  Dustbuster
                  Wiley-X
                  7Eye and Moisture-Release Glasses
                  Onion Goggles
                  Evader I/II These win the prize for

2) Are there any untinted glasses with the characteristics of the Bora, the Briza, Cape or Churada? (I think those are fine to use on the street but not at an office or on your home as thay are tinted)
                  All of those are available in 24:7 NXT photochromic lenses, which go clear when you are indoors. Or, if you purchase the glasses from a local dealer you could probably get them to put clear plano lenses in them if you wanted.

3) Does any of those glasses "produce" moisture or all of them are based upon on keeping moisture from not "escaping" the chambers? What`s the difference between goggles and moisture chambers?
                  The only ones that produce moisture are the new Tranquileyes Moisture Release Glasses.

Personally, I refer to any enclosed eyewear that enhances humidity as a 'moisture chamber' whether it is glasses, sunglasses, goggles or whatever. You'll find the term
                  'moisture chamber' used a variety of ways in different places though, including for Tranquileyes night moisture goggles.

4) The night protection items are mostly recommended for what kind of dry eye problems?
                  Doesn't really matter what type. Most definitely aqueous deficient, but a lipid deficient dry eye often needs protection just as much. Recurrent corneal erosion patients and lagophthalmos patients are two additional groups that can benefit a great deal.

A few exceptional situations are not appropriate for certain night products. Floppy eyelid syndrome (rubbing corneas on your pillowcase) would need something more rigid like the Medtronic bubble eye bandage. Certain types of lid issues such as Graves disease patients and some with bell's palsy have to be very cautious even with Tranquileyes because of the possibility of the pads (or mask or whatever it is) rubbing on their corneas if their lid is not properly secured. - People with ingrown eyelashes can't wear things like Tranquileyes that touch their lids. And there are a host of other special cases... too many to list here.

5) Do they ship products to South America?
                  Yup we ship anywhere. The shop should automatically show you Express, Priority and First Class rates depending on location - if it doesn't just email service@dryeyeshop.com - and we can do Fedex if you prefer, just put a note on the order.

Also, which are the most recommended tears for people that lack of proper production of oil in their eyes?
                  Depends on your philosophy of artificial tears in general. Different doctors have different opinions about this. My personal bias: I am a strong believer in (among other things) Dr. Frank Holly's research with high oncotic pressure and I have seen Dwelle benefit people with all different sorts of dry eye including people atrophied MGs who have no oil at all.

There's the osmolarity school of thought which has a great deal of good science behind it... the idea being to improve the osmolarity of the tear film.

Then there's the simplistic approach of, gee, missing oil, let's add some. That would be any of the drops with a lipid. Soothe XP, Systane Balance (a number of people here seem to really like that one), one or two others that I can't remember off the top of my head.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca, thanks for your quick response,

there are some doubts I still have

You were very clear about glasses in an office but

1) Which would be the better goggles or glasses to use in terms of helping your tear stability and not thinking about the looks. If you are going to use them at home or with nobody looking at you which would be the best?

2) Do lenses matter or what`s important is the frame? Can I buy one of those glasses that change depending if you are out or indoors like the Bora, the Briza, Cape or Churada and put them black lenses to only use outside? Of outside lenses...which would be the less and the most flamboyant, strange or ridiculous?

3) Those Tranquileyes Moisture Release Glasses are to use where? Is there a big difference with the other goggles? I can`t find them at the shop. Which are they?

4) What are the main risks of using night protection articles?

5) What does it means "high oncotic pressure"? Regarding the osmolarity school...are there tears from this school? I have to "choose" one of these schools or they can be complementary? How do you "choose" your school? You have to follow the one that makes your eyes feel more comfortable or are there other considerations?

thanks for your time again

Comment

The only ones that produce moisture are the new Tranquileyes Moisture Release Glasses.

How does these glasses release moisture? Would you say that these goggles are the absolute best when it comes to increase humidity? (cause they release moisture).

Comment

Originally posted by Ro dri View Post
                        1) Which would be the better goggles or glasses to use in terms of helping your tear stability and not thinking about the looks. If you are going to use them at home or with nobody looking at you which would be the best?
                        The most effective for tear stability is that which gives the closest seal. It doesn't mean it has to seal to the skin all the way around (not practical because of fogging) but it needs to come close to the skin most of the way around.

The closest seal means, usually, the deepest eyecup. That includes the Onion goggles, the 7Eye and Wiley-X, the Ziena, and probably the Evaders. But which of those is best depends ENTIRELY on how if its YOUR face, for example, some people will have a perfect fit with Onion Goggles and a big gap all around with one or two 7Eye frames, or exactly the opposite. So you don't really know until you try on the frame. This aspect is very frustrating for people who don't have local dealers and especially who live outside the US because you pay for the products, the shipping, and customs... all before you know whether it'll fit. Just have to go with your best guess.

2) Do lenses matter or what`s important is the frame? Can I buy one of those glasses that change depending if you are out or indoors like the Bora, the Briza, Cape or Churada and put them black lenses to only use outside? Of outside lenses...which would be the less and the most flamboyant, strange or ridiculous?
                        What's important is the frame + seal. Lenses are just a matter of what works best for you. I don't usually stock any strange looking lenses unless they are the darkest that's available because I try to cater for people who have extreme light sensitivity.

For indoors, you'll want either clear or light-adjusting lenses. Any other lens will be too difficult to read through at work.
                        For outdoors, if you are not light-sensitive then the light-adjusting lenses are good because you can wear them indoors, outdoors, etc. But if you are light sensitive, and need sunglasses outside, won't get dark enough so then it would be better to get a grey or copper lens instead. The sharpview grey and copper lenses both look fine, like any other high quality sunglasses.

3) Those Tranquileyes Moisture Release Glasses are to use where? Is there a big difference with the other goggles? I can`t find them at the shop. Which are they?
                        Here's the link again
                        http://store.nexternal.com/tdec/new-...wear-p399.aspx

4) What are the main risks of using night protection articles?
                        Depends on the product.
                        Tranquileyes: Infection, especially if you're not caring for the foam properly, if you have any other conditions going on with your eyes etc. It's basically holding a sponge on your eye so you need to be careful using it. Slight risk for certain types of users with eyelid problems that the foam can abrade the cornea. Some people get skin reactions to the foam.
                        Onyix/Quartz: Only thing I can think of is discomfort. Some people may find the silicone presses into their skin too much or leaves marks afterward.
                        Sleep masks: Again infection depending on what eye conditions are going on.

Sorry can't answer all questions right now but I will try to do more later.
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

moisture release glasses

How does these glasses release moisture?
                          They have little chambers with a foam insert. You soak these in water and then insert them in the glasses and they release moisture into the glasses.

Would you say that these goggles are the absolute best when it comes to increase humidity? (cause they release moisture).
                          Theoretically yes. In practice, I honestly don't know. Till someone somewhere has money to do some testing to compare humidity levels in various moisture chambers I don't think we'll know. Meantime as more people start using them we will see more comparative reviews on the board here and in the 'reviews' tabs in the shop.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

thanks a lot Rebecca, your help has been very useful. Now I have a better idea of how to decide what to purchase

Comment

You are so so helpful, kind, generous. (for giving time), thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X