This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dustbusters working better for me than Curv Z

Hi all, again, thanks so much for the suggestions. The Dustbuster sunglasses arrived from the DEZ store, and I like them much better than the Curv Z biker sunglasses I got at the motorcycle shop. They are both size small and both fit well, but the Curv Z have a lot more foam, the foam is softer, and something about it is irritating and annoying, and makes me want to close my eyes. That didn't happen with the Dustbusters. I wore them for a few hours during a walk outside today, and they kept my eyes rather comfortable.

Neither the Dustbuster nor the Curv Z are good for driving, though. My eyes dry out and get a gritty, sandy feeling after a few minutes with the Dustbusters and after about ten minutes with the Curv Z. But with the Curv Z I feel a strong urge to close my eyes, while that doesn't happen with the Dustbusters.

Do you think that I might be able to find other sunglasses that would make daytime driving possible, or is driving itself too hard on dry eyes? It is a little more comfortable to drive with the windows open than with the air conditioning on. I am feeling very constrained not being able to drive for more than ten or fifteen minutes; I hope I can find a remedy for this, because it has caused severe changes in my life style. Night driving is easier, but still not very comfortable. Judy

Hi Jude: I just find driving hard on my eyes period. The moisture chamber goggles make it more tolerable for sure. With my Wiley's I can even drive my convertible in just as much comfort as a closed car, but after about an hour in any car my eyes start to complain even if I am not the one doing the driving. I don't know if it is being cooped up in a box full of off gassing plastic or what it is but I would rather walk in a strong wind (with the Wiley's of course) for an hour than spend an hour in a car with air blowing in my face, day or night. I do it of course but I just keep poring in the drops and I DREAD long drives. Sorry I am not of much help, just thought I'd let you know you are not alone and the only thing that has made any difference at all to me are the MCG's.

Comment

Judy, couple of thoughts on better coverage for driving without the soft 'spongy' type foam.

One, a couple of the 7Eye frames have a different kind of foam - it's not firm like the Dustbuster but also not porous like the Curv Z. Briza definitely has this, Churada might depending when the store that stocks it purchased their stock. If $99 is not out of the question it might be worth stopping by a dealer to check them out.

Two, EyeEco's moisture release glasses. I don't have them in stock right now but you can check them out at eyeeco.com. They have a 'bendy' kind of frame which flexes at the nose bridge and this means that even without a super-deep eyecup you can get it to fit really close to your face. Also their newest eyecup is silicone (or something like that). They have a dealer locator on their site, maybe they will have a dealer within 10 minutes driving
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks, Rebecca! I'mgoing to check them out
        Judy

Comment

Thanks farmgirl, yes, it is good to know I'm not alone! I used to love driving, but now I am also dreading long drives. I am starting to tell myself that it is better for the environment if I don't drive so much :P
          Judy

Comment

Atta girl, turn it into a positive! I ain't there yet, I'm still polluting!!

Comment

I had to give up driving, as I cannot find anything that I can wear over my glasses that gives me peripheral vision. (sp?) My prescription is too high for the glasses that are available like wrap arounds. I really find it frustrating to have to depend on my husband to drive me any place. If I am in a vehicle, the guard dogs do a half decent job of keeping the draft out of my eyes and keeping them a little moist. I really do not like to be stuck at home. I have been of work since the beginning of May and am just a little stir crazy!! I was wondering about safety glasses for lab wear, if they would be okay for driving short distances. They do fit over glasses, and perhaps I could seal them along the sides further back so I could drive. Anyone try this?

Comment

Originally posted by glenda View Post
                I was wondering about safety glasses for lab wear, if they would be okay for driving short distances. They do fit over glasses, and perhaps I could seal them along the sides further back so I could drive. Anyone try this?
                Hi Glenda,

Check out this catalog (pg 18 onward): http://www.2020as.com/. Maybe there's something there that will work for you.

All the best,
                Sheila

Comment

Glenda, I'm out of work too, and also hate to have relinquished all the driving to my husband (who doesn't like to drive as much as I do... or did). I'm also trying not to go stir crazy at home, not being able to read much, drive or stay on the computer for very long. It is so difficult to go outside. It has been motivating me to do clean up 35 years of clutter inside my house!
                  Judy

Comment

Give it a try Glenda, necessity is the mother of invention they say, anything to help you get your life back and really who cares what you look like alone in your car. I live in Calgary also as does Sunshine in Calgary. Maybe we could put our heads together and work up something for you, I am pretty crafty. I sent you contact info under NOTIFICATIONS top right. Give me a call, maybe we could all get together some day and compare notes....cheers....F/G

Comment

One of the most innovative pair of moisture chamber glasses I ever saw was a fashionable pair of glasses lined with weatherstripping. It was more discreet than you would imagine. It's what I'd do on a tight budget, either that or some other kind of foam lining. There is no real fix for the loss of peripheral vision in a moisture chamber but it really does help to use glasses with a fairly large lens area (if possible in a wrap style but of course not usually possible with high Rx). Also I find that the glasses that let the most light in - I don't mean in terms of how light/dark the lenses are but the total area though which any light gets in - are the most helpful in cutting down on the claustrophobia/tunnel vision effect. That's one of the reasons I like the Ziena (yeah I know it's the most expensive ) for driving. The shields are opaque so they don't actually contribute to vision but I don't FEEL constrained in them the same way I do in say 7Eye or WileyX glasses.
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                      X