Safety glasses as moisture chamber substitutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety glasses as moisture chamber substitutes

Has anyone used these safety glasses as moisture goggle substitutes?

http://www.rx-safety.com/store/produ...roducts_id=400

If so how did you find them?

I haven't tried these but they do look much better than most of the moisture chamber glasses I've seen. Cheaper, too. Wonder if they work for small heads??

Comment

I have safety glasses pretty much like the ones in the pictures (the ones that look like glasses surrounded by clear plastic protection). I use them for working outdoors with my mower and other tools that need safety glasses.

They work great for me, but I am not at the stage where my eyes are bone dry. The protective plastic around the lenses is not air tight. In mine, there is a gap around the whole frame of the glasses and protective plastic wrap-around.

So I would not recommend this type of protective eyewear for people who need complete protection from air and exposure. They are not moisture chamber eyewear.

They do help protect against wind, dust and dirt. And they are safety glasses so your eyes are protected when you are using equipment that recommends safety glasses. And they are made with my glasses prescription.

But (at least the ones I have) are NOT moisture chamber glasses.

Scout

Comment

I have contacted the company and it seems that they do fit small heads and they seem pretty confident that they would help - at least a bit and yes they do look much better than the others.

Comment

Hey giraffes, I ordered the model #375 in tortoise from them as a "try on." They told me that I could send them back if they didn't fit. Though not as tight fitting as a goggle, this one has a rather thick wrap at the corners and could possibly work. Plus, looks more like normal glasses. The black pair may be able to pass for a more trendy unisex look...depends on your taste.

http://www.rx-safety.com/store/produ...roducts_id=747

I'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

The safety glasses above may work for some women as non-goggly moisture chamber.

Got my safety glasses in. Ordered the #375 as a "try on." I will have to get prescription lenses put in, so I will need to see what the optician says. I have a high prescription so that will be the determining factor.

They are a bit on the larger side for my narrow face, HOWEVER, the way the arms on these things sort of bend in is pretty impressive. It is a snug fit. The nose area seems almost completely sealed and top and bottom aren't too bad at all. In fact, my eyelashes graze the lens, that's how close they fit. The sides, well, it doesn't completely seal (and that's not the intent of this style), but I wore them for about two hours, and when I took them off, I could feel the difference. Also, I was eating something a little steamy and I could feel it getting warm in there. My regular glasses do not do that.

So, how do they look? This is definitely a woman's style. My boyfriend says that they look kind of retro 70s chic (which is a popular style coming back! yay!) and he wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen with me. Of course, this all may have something to do with the crush he had on his fourth grade teacher who ALSO wore extremely large glasses. So maybe I just got lucky.

For around $40, they're worth a try. They definitely won't be my everyday go-to-meeting eyewear, but for sitting in front of a computer, they're acceptable and don't look goggly. If the MEGS folks had called me back to respond to my questions, I would've tried those, but I've pretty much given up on them.

Comment

Hello 'no tears'
              Were you able to get the prescription in these glasses? Are these safety glasses really working for extreme dry eye?? I have no tears at all thanks to radiation treatments.
              I have tried for weeks to get MEGS but am running into the same problems as most people. no response after emails and calls to them. Will a progressive lens fit with these cheap glasses? I am an accountant and feel like I may have to change my career cause my eyes hurt tooo much to use the computer all day.

Comment

Originally posted by CanadaMo View Post
                Hello 'no tears'
                Were you able to get the prescription in these glasses? Are these safety glasses really working for extreme dry eye?? I have no tears at all thanks to radiation treatments.
                I have tried for weeks to get MEGS but am running into the same problems as most people. no response after emails and calls to them. Will a progressive lens fit with these cheap glasses? I am an accountant and feel like I may have to change my career cause my eyes hurt tooo much to use the computer all day.
                Have you tried that program for adjusting the screen brightness, here:

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

It helps so much with my eyes and what i do is... i go into settings and have the screen set at halogen for all times of the day and night so my eyes are always less irritated and you can get those screens for anti glare too, which may help.

Comment

Hey Canada,

So I took the glasses to my optician. Although the company will put prescription lenses in for you with that model, the optician took one look at them and said that it's not the lenses that would be a problem, its that the nosepiece would pinch quite badly if they adjusted the fit for my face.

So my problem really is the "small head" issue. The company does have a reasonable return policy, you would have to pay a restocking fee unfortunately, but may be worth a try. Customer service is pretty good about answering questions, too. I don't know about progressive lenses for these.

Just not many options out there. I am really disappointed in the Seefit (MEGS) people. I was really hopeful there for awhile that I wouldn't have to go home every day with my eyes red and burning.

Comment

Working...
                  X