Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to choose between Wiley X Brick and Wiley X Blink - Strong prescription...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to choose between Wiley X Brick and Wiley X Blink - Strong prescription...

Hi Guys,

I've been dealing with MGD/mild bleph/dry eye associated with ocular rosacea for about 4 months now. I recently did a 3-month course of Doxy (100mg per day, 2x daily) and it was a huge help----basically eliminated all my symptoms and left my eyes feeling "normal" again.

However, I don't like the idea of using high-dose antibiotics long-term and have recently (a week ago) tapered down to a subantimicrobial dosage (20mg per day, 2x daily). Of course, right now my eyes are flaring because of the taper-down and the drastic difference in dosages.

To help cope with the transition, I have been doing warm compresses 2x daily (this helps), taking flaxseed oil pills, doing a lid scrub 1x daily with plain water (also helpful) and using 3-4 drops of Genteal Liquid Gel drops for Moderate to Severe dry eye overnight, which is when my eyes really seem to dry out. During the day I don't use any drops; my eyes feel good and "normal" within an hour or so of waking up and beginning to blink normally, etc.

Still, because I don't know how I am going to react to this lower dose of Doxy----or, indeed, if it will even be effective for me----and because the idea of being on a higher dose long term really does not appeal to me, I want to explore non-chemical options.

I am nearsighted (left eye -4.00, right eye -4.25) and have been thinking about investing in some Wiley-X glasses. I think this might be helpful in general, especially when I go back to work in a few weeks; I teach at college level and have some concerns about chalk dust irritating my eyes as well.

I've been looking on FramesDirect.com and trying to choose a pair, and am kind of between Wiley X Brick (http://www.framesdirect.com/Wiley-X-...-k-tcqdoc.html) and Wiley X Blink (http://www.framesdirect.com/Wiley-X-...-k-tcqdnj.html) right now. I was wondering if any of you have experience with both/either, and/or think one is better than the other, and for what reasons.

I have kind of a small face and delicate features, so the less "overwhelming" the frames, the better. At the same time, I obviously want something that will provide appropriate protection for my eyes.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

PS: Have any of you ordered from FramesDirect? Positive or negative experience?

I have the Brick frames. I think they are meant for larger faces. Don't know much more than that. I like them. I have another pair, think they are called Jake, that I wear more now though.

Way back when I got the Brick's, I ordered a couple frames at a time from www.heavyglare.com. I tried them on then returned them. They seemed cool with that. Took me four different frames I think before I found the ones I like. Just something else to look into. That was probably five years ago though, haven't looked at the site since. They supposedly specialize in high rx with wraparound lenses.

Comment

Looked at the Blink frames quick, I remember trying them on at the time. They are significantly smaller than the Bricks... Based on your description, I am leaning toward Blink being much better on you.

Comment

Originally posted by bassfan View Post
        Looked at the Blink frames quick, I remember trying them on at the time. They are significantly smaller than the Bricks... Based on your description, I am leaning toward Blink being much better on you.
        Hey----thanks for your helpful responses.

As it turned out, the choice got made for me because with the Bricks they can only go up to -3.00 (if memory serves), whereas with the Blinks they can go up to much stronger prescriptions (as high as -5.00).

I think you're right about the Blinks being a better choice anyway, since they're smaller and I have kind of a small face/features.

I ended up ordering the Blinks with clear anti-fog lenses. It will take 10-14 days for them to get made, but I should be receiving them at the latest by the first day of classes where I teach. Yay!

Thank you as well for the additional website. Looks like it might be a good place to purchase a pair of Panoptx in the future. I like the Zephyrs and it would be fun to have more than one pair of protective glasses on hand. (I am saving up already! )

Comment

Not to scare you or anything oopsiedaisy but be prepared for the glasses to give you a bit of what I call the 'racoon' look as the black foam insert is visible on the inside rim of the glasses. Just wear em the first day and explain what they are and after that no one will notice...hope they help...F/G

Comment

Working...
          X