Help With Moisture Chamber Glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Moisture Chamber Glasses

So I found a place where I could try on some Wiley X glasses. Tried a few different models and noticed that with all of them, there is still a slight separation of the foam insert to my orbital/face area.

for those of you who use Wiley X or Panoptx type glasses as moisture chamber goggles, do you have a COMPLETE seal around your eye w/ the foam/insert or is there still a small area (usually to the side and outward from the eye) that has a slight gap.

in summary, will getting these be pointless unless I create a nearly complete air seal?

I tried the Airrage and some others.

I find that anytime the temp dips below 30, I'm in trouble at the office (I work on a computer all day) due to the forced heating. Once above 30, the humidity is enough to keep me from hurting.

I want to be proactive and wear the glasses at work even when I feel good to ensure a moist eye surface.

Really you don't want them to seal absolutely completely or you will have moisture build up issues if not from your eyes just from your skin breathing. Mine have small gaps and gaps where the foam seal contacts the frame. I did take some crafting tape (sookwang) and blocked off the built in air vents and now they work just fine. What you really need to do is keep the air from fans, AC, heating system etc from blowing in your face. Even the air movement from walking indoors at times will be bothersome for me. I have problems if the humidity dips below 88% so I am a good test case.

I have Wiley's and love mine and highly recommend them and I am lost without them. I will say one thing though that the clear ones are rather racoonish because if the thick black ring formed by the gasket. I do wear them around the house but only wear them out and about if it is dark and I can't wear the sunglasses. The dark sunglasses hide the foam ring. If you are not in contact with the public at your office your coworkers will understand. I also understand that Wiley has a new gasket that is not so thick and doesn't seal well so I recommend that you get the older foam type gasket for a better seal....F/G

Comment

For outdoor use and even just walking around indoors (to block the wind), I need a complete seal. Wiley changed their foam gaskets last year, and the new gaskets did not seal nearly as well. I wonder which gasket-style that store had on their display Wiley's? the old one? or the new one?

Rebecca usually sells the gaskets on their own from her shop and they don't cost very much... if you know which style of Wiley's fit you best, it might be worth spending the money on the old-style gasket from Rebecca's shop, bring that into the store, and try on their Wiley's with that (the gaskets can be removed and re-inserted very easily).

Comment

I need a complete seal, and none of the Wiley's came close for my face. I only have one dry eye, so fortunately I can tolerate the gross foggyness of one sealed side. My shirmers is between a 0-2, so I don't really have any other options. If you are more mildly dry you can cut some tranquileyes foam and add it to the size. Or possible use clear ear plugs to fill the gaps. For me the gaps weren't the only problem. The Airrages have a removeable foam liners, and all the way around this inside of the liner is not air tight either (just plastic against plastic).

I got my scleral lens last week, and have found that the Wiley Airrage over my scleral works as somewhat of a a wind block, as well as helps to keep the drops in. So I'm wearing it right now, and have been for a couple of days. I did add extra foam to the side though when I bought them to cover some of the 1-2cm gap on the side. The scleral lens alone left me with a feeling of itchyness after the first few days, so I think maybe it was caused by the dryness on the areas not covered by my lens. So I've been putting in drops over the scleral every 20 minutes or so, and wearing the Airrages, and with that combination have been fairly comfortable. Huge improvement over my pre-scleral solutions.

Comment

Only the old gaskets provide good seal.

The new glasses comes with the new (and thin) gaskets (I think so). You will need to buy the old (thick) gaskets through Wiley-X or Dry Eye Shop.

Comment

Originally posted by bakunin View Post
            Only the old gaskets provide good seal.

The new glasses comes with the new (and thin) gaskets (I think so). You will need to buy the old (thick) gaskets through Wiley-X or Dry Eye Shop.
            Does the dry eye shop have the old ones back in stock now?

Comment

Originally posted by L8rgator View Post
              Does the dry eye shop have the old ones back in stock now?
              Yes!

But make sure you are selecting the right one when you order it.

Comment

Could you put a link? I'm having trouble finding them. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by L8rgator View Post
                  Could you put a link? I'm having trouble finding them. Thanks!
                  Oh, I can't find any Wile-X products on Dry Eye Shop either! I don't know what happened.

Comment

Yes, I do not see the Wiley-X gaskets there anymore either - I was considering a pair of Wileys but wanted to make sure I could get the older, better-sealing gaskets if so.
                    Rebecca?

Comment

When did Wiley change to a thinner gasget? I ordered a pair of Curve online which has been discontinued and now wonder if they will come with the older or newer gasget.

Comment

Originally posted by Max52 View Post
                        When did Wiley change to a thinner gasget? I ordered a pair of Curve online which has been discontinued and now wonder if they will come with the older or newer gasget.
                        For sure last year around july, the new and thinner gaskets were on the market.

Comment

Uh, has any dry-eye sufferer ever experienced goggles similar to the below heated thingamagig?
                          Can it act sorta like an alternate blephasteam? Just wondering.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...28#custreviews

I'm thinking that there should be a revised version of the above, such as very comfortable silicone swimming goggles that hug the rims of eyes.
                          With battery-operated wire running thru the circumference of each silicone eye-frame.
                          Then, maybe every 1/4 or 1/2 inch, there should be a hole punctured into the silicone eye-frame, to allow the heat from the wire to heat the eyes.
                          CHEERIO! HELIO! Dry Eye Minni

sigpic

Comment

That is such a good idea Minni, I know of nothing such as what you describe, but it certainly seems like it could be done, and be effective for a lot of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Minni View Post
                              Uh, has any dry-eye sufferer ever experienced goggles similar to the below heated thingamagig?
                              Can it act sorta like an alternate blephasteam? Just wondering.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...28#custreviews

I'm thinking that there should be a revised version of the above, such as very comfortable silicone swimming goggles that hug the rims of eyes.
                              With battery-operated wire running thru the circumference of each silicone eye-frame.
                              Then, maybe every 1/4 or 1/2 inch, there should be a hole punctured into the silicone eye-frame, to allow the heat from the wire to heat the eyes.
                              Very interesting...

Heat helps me a lot. Keeping the temperature of my cornea high makes all the difference to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X