This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduce chamber glasses for indoor/computer use with prescription lenses

I am a nearsighted computer engineer, who needs to stay more than 10+ hours a day in front of a computer. I had been looking for chamber glasses which are good for prescription lens and indoor use. However, most of the chamber glasses which I can find on the US websites are sunglasses-style. It is weird to wear sunglasses in office all day. Moreover, the vision is distorted when I use prescription sunglasses in front of a computer, probably because of the way the lenses are mounted on the sunglasses.

I think many people on this forum have similar issues. Recently, I bought a pair of chamber glasses which is good for prescription lenses and indoor use. I really like it and would like to share it with you.

I bought it from taobao.com (a chinese website, similar to ebay in the us) and had my friend bring it to the us. The price is around $120 us dollars. I can't find it on ebay or amazon.
    Link is as follows:
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=20020541216

I took it to a local walmart. They put the prescription lenses (around $150 for nikon lens with 1.67 index) onto the frame.

There are two features I like. 1. There is a small pocket inside each chamber where you can instill water. I just use tap water. The water helps generate moisture and slows down the evaporation of your own tears. 2. The legs are removable. You can also use a rubber band for a tighter fit. But, usually, I just use the legs; the rubber band is too tight for my head. I plan to diy a looser rubber band.

I have been using it for more than a week. I think it really helps the dry eyes. I use artificial tears less frequently. But it is a little uncomfortable to wear it. I need to take it off for a break every 30 minutes. I can see pressure marks on my face left by the rubber if I wear it for a longer time. I didn't notice any fog issue as long as I am indoor and temperature is around 60s-70s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	glasses.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	156055Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	156056

Fascinating, thanks for sharing this mobirabi. So, no fogging at all? Do they come with just the 6 "sponge" pads/inserts? How comfortable are the nose pads, and are they adjustable at all? As far as the discomfort goes, I assume you are referring to the edges of the silicone gasket? Please keep us posted on how these work for you.

Comment

a marvelous-looking innovation!

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention. The product looks incredibly smart, and aesthetic is lovely. . .Possibly any discomfort is outweighed by moisture benefits. Thanks again!
      <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Originally posted by MGD666 View Post
        Fascinating, thanks for sharing this mobirabi. So, no fogging at all? Do they come with just the 6 "sponge" pads/inserts? How comfortable are the nose pads, and are they adjustable at all? As far as the discomfort goes, I assume you are referring to the edges of the silicone gasket? Please keep us posted on how these work for you.
        Yes, no fogging at all. I only used it indoor with temperature around 70 degrees. I guess if I use it outside in the winter, there will be fog.

Yes, they come with 6 sponge pads. But I think you can find similar sponge in some household products' packaging. Or maybe just use some cotton balls.

The nose pads are not adjustable. The comfortableness is ok. They just make the frame a pair of regular glasses. But I usually don't use them, since if I don't need the chamber glasses, I use my old glasses.

Yes, I mean the edges of the silicone gasket. I hope the edges could be thicker, so they won't leave marks on my face.

Comment

I have looked at the Taobao site for further information about these wonderful moisture chamber frames, but due to Google Translation's very poor quality product, I cannot tell whether these frames come in different facial sizes. . .I'm also unable to use the online purchase mechanism at Taobao. . .

I've written directly to the manufacturer and patent-holder of this product, but suspect that language differences will preclude any response.

If anyone else has attempted to purchase the product, and gotten farther than I have, I will treasure any guidance that can be provided about this. I am so glad that at least one of our members here had a contact in China who could actually facilitate the purchase and transport of this product. . .Crossing fingers that many more of us can take advantage. . .

For anyone wondering: My famous remission from severe symptoms continues, quite a few years into my religious use of high-oncotic pressure drops, and so I am not seeking to purchase the moisture chamber frames for immediate use. I feel strongly, though, that we should always have a solid stockpile of options in our toolkits (pardon the mixed metaphor (:^)), and so I am essentially now a collector of the best of protective eyewear products (to the extent I can afford these). . .Dealing with DES means being ready for everything and doing all we can to manage and prevail over our symptoms. When we do this, we secure and improve both our individual and collective well-being and vitality!
          <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Your high oncotic pressure drops.....what are they called? How long have you used them?

Comment

The frame is just one size. I have a medium-size face; it fits my face very well.

Comment

high oncotic pressure drops; one size, only, for new m.c. frames

Originally posted by mobirabi View Post
                The frame is just one size. I have a medium-size face; it fits my face very well.
                That is very helpful information. . .Since my face is probably too small for that one size, I can, at least, not be totally wistful about the difficulty of obtaining this new, excellent product. . .

RE: High oncotic pressure drops: I refer, here, to the therapy developed by Dr. Frank Holly, whose work is featured here in DEZ's archives and reference sections. Today, in the U.S., the only product I can locate that features high oncotic pressure drops is Freshkote, currently an over-the-counter preparation that one usually special-orders from a pharmacy. . .I believe that some doctors will write an Rx for these drops, enabling patients thereby to get some coverage for them under certain insurance plans, but I personally order them on my own and keep them on hand at all times, and don't wait for my doctor to come through with the Rx. . .(Not all ophthalmologists are willing to get educated about Dr. Holly's groundbreaking work.) Our fearless leader Rebecca Petris introduced many of us to Dr. Holly's drops when these were still available as Dwelle and Dakrina, which are no longer being manufactured. . .Freshkote is very close to Dwelle, but contains an added lipid-type ingredient. . .Bottom line: These drops have been wonderfully effective in many cases of recurrent corneal erosions, and also, as in my case, in severely symptomatic dry eye syndrome with multiple causation. . .The science behind these drops is magnificent. . .and one can read about the physics and engineering principles behind these drops by visiting Dr. Holly's own website. . .Leads to all this are in our archives, if I recall correctly. . .To see the precise benefits i experienced, please track my posts dating back to about 2008-2009. I went from wearing very tight moisture chambers for 10 years to feeling nearly normal almost 24/7, by persisting in my use of the Dr. Holly drops. It took me about 7 months of steady use of the drops (before bed, immediately upon awakening, and an additional time or two each day) to achieve what continues to feel like a 95% remission from my disabling symptoms. . .Please send me private messages if you can't find all the needed references here easily. . .I'll provide more specific leads, if needed. . .
                <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Just a quick reply re: Freshkote
                  It is now available without prescription (currently $35 for a 15ml bottle via Amazon).

Comment

Yes, but the reason I suggested that patients consider asking their doctors for an Rx for Freshkote, EVEN though it is over-the-counter (and requires no prescription), is that insurance will often cover non-prescription products that are prescribed by a doctor . .In addition, Freshkote's manufacturer is currently circulating quite a few online coupons that will enable purchasers to get Freshkote VERY inexpensively, IF their doctors write the Rx for it. . .The coupons cannot be used unless they can be keyed in to an insured patient's insurance Rx Bin number. . .While Freshkote is worth its high price, the price is quite high, and so I hope that this will not deter members here from getting it. . .Using the Rx route may be the ticket for making this product affordable on a long-term basis. . .And indeed, the high oncotic pressure drops do their best work when they are taken for an extended period. . .
                    <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Update:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=18249023105

I found another chamber glasses on Taobao.com which are also good for prescription lenses. According to the description, it has the following features: 1. the nose bridge is soft/adjustable so that you can bend the frame to better fit your face; 2. the gasket is foam. So I guess it won't leave marks on my face as the one I bought does; 3. it also has a water pocket in each chamber. The water pockets and the gaskets are all magnet-removable. 4. It comes with anti-fog films which you can use to stick to your own lenses. The price is about $150 usd.

I didn't buy it, so don't really know how it works. FYI.

This is the same stuff with polarized lenses. Around $200.
                      http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...3-ece6246b52f2
                      Last edited by mobirabi; 06-May-2014, 10:07.

Comment

Found another option (this time courtesy Japan) - they do not look to form an ideal seal around the eyes like the taobao ones above, but are similar in other respects, have frames which appear to be a little more "robust" and sylish, and are much less expensive: http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...ST-13A-003/33/
                        Last edited by MGD666; 16-May-2014, 13:07.

Comment

Working...
                        X