Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking my moisture glasses off permanently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking my moisture glasses off permanently?

After having my crisis point with my dry eyes in June, I invested in a pair of moisture chamber glasses and wore them every single day for the last 5 months at work. Literally any computer work I've had them on.

I am now contemplating removing them due to an improvement in my MGD condition (not feeling as aggressively dry, mostly due to new routine which involved stopping hot compresses and 2 x showers morning and night at which the water is turned up hot on the eyes for a for second towards the end - this could also be coincidence). I'd like to hear your opinions. I think I've got the following options

1) Stick with them and leave them on, don't take a risk
    2) Reduce the amount of time i.e. morning only and put them on in afternoon or vice versa
    3) Take them off and see how it goes

I am thinking option 3.

It would be great to hear your thoughts.

Kevin

With moisture chambers, the nice thing is, you can always just pop them back on. No ramp up or ramp down time.

Having said that... I would be a little cautious about going cold turkey - not just on this but on anything! - this time of year. Winter's hard on dry eyes. And - clinical signs and symptoms can each lag behind the other at times, meaning, you might not feel the effects immediately. Just saying, wouldn't want you suddenly blindsided by bad days. Frankly I'm thinking more in terms of the emotional impact that anything else. Those bad days after doing increasingly well for a long span can be very taxing. But you know where you are with it all and how much you can handle
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Rebecca for your reply. I guess there is an element of me thinking cold turkey would be great as it is a bit 'look at me, I'm brave and not scared of you, you horrible condition'. However, you are right, being cautious is not a bad thing. I'll try to keep my decisions and progress posted on this thread to help those in a similar position.

Kevin

Comment

Why take them off if you will feel better wearing them even if you have improved?

Comment

Hi guys,

Just wanted to give an update.

It's my 3rd day without the glasses.

So far so good. After 5 months of wearing them non-stop without any gaps. It felt strange and I was very scared but my confidence has grown day by day.

In terms of increased dryness I don't feel that not having the glasses has increased dryness.

I'm not without issues and am currently just getting over a RCE on my right eye. Vision is a bit jagged blurry as a result. Not ideal when my left eye already has blurred/jagged text as default.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by bakunin View Post
            Why take them off if you will feel better wearing them even if you have improved?
            Very good point bakunin. I guess if I can see this experiment through it will help me form the opinion that I don't need or rely on the support of glasses to operate a PC. It is also a good confidence building exercise i.e. feeling like it is the end of the world if I forget my glasses could become a thing of the past. I guess if I can get a good run of 7 days without the glasses I can then reintroduce them and use them when I feel I should.

Comment

Originally posted by khmedia View Post
              It's my 3rd day without the glasses.

So far so good. After 5 months of wearing them non-stop without any gaps. It felt strange and I was very scared but my confidence has grown day by day.
              That's awesome. Glad to hear it. Sounds like it's serving the purposes
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Just wanted to give an update. It is close to one month now without my moisture glasses. I am not sure of a correlation but I've has RCE in my right eye and and off for the past month. So I was beginning to think that by not wearing the glasses that the healing wasn't happening fast enough with the RCE as this seems the longest ever non-healing period for it. Anyway that is the latest. I am going to continue without the moisture glasses for now and see how things progress.

Comment

Working...
                X