This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d printed eyewear

We have a lot of options commercially available nowadays for moisture chamber glasses. But non of these actually accommodate the needs of people with high RX prescriptions. Some brands have technology that allows to fit relatively high prescription lenses within moisture chambers and somewhat preserve final image undistorted (usually even if moisture chambers could be fitted with high RX - final result will be distorted image). And by "high RX" in this cases I mean -7.00D, which is actually not so high - there are people with -10.00D, -15.00D and so on. But even so, these brands are unavailable for the huge parts of the world, because they are sold only in company optic-stores, which are quite rare and most of the time simply absent.

The other option is custom moisture chambers, which was actually existed for decades. The last medical article about most advanced way to produce them is dated 1994. And still it is extremely hard to make them - it is hard to impossible to find required materials, it is hard to find optician willing to produce them.

So, we now in the year 2015, 21 years past this most relevant medical article about producing MCG. Maybe we now have some new options to address this issue? We have relatively cheap 3d printing now, we have accessible ability to make 3d scans of objects (such as our own head). In theory we have an option to make custom fitting moisture chambers in some CAD-program using 3d scans of our heads, and then just print those chambers using 3d printer. After googling for "3d print eyeframe" I found that this is quite buzzing topic, I even found a company that offers custom fitting eyewear using 3d model which is made just from 2 of your photos.

I guess this topic deserves to keep an eye on it. Maybe we can make some advantage of current technology while we waiting for the medicine to come up with something encouraging already.

Sounds good. Technology working for us. You might be interested in how they make the Eyeprintpro scleral lens Rebecca talks about in her January 2015 blog KeratoScoop http://www.icontact-archive.com/EzxE...tN_jb6j1Xw?w=1
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

just a note on Protos eyewear - you have to contribute $5,000 for them to make a truly "custom" frame, which could be a moisture chamber goggle. Otherwise, you only get their stock frames (normal glasses) measured to your face.

Comment

grant555, hmm $5,000 is quite a lot...

But! I have another idea. If I 3d-scan my head, my regular glasses, and head with glasses put on, and then use these 3d-images in a CAD software to make a model of custom moisture chamber - I can then make custom moisture chambers from my own glasses pretty easily. If I will find an intersection of plastic sheets (mounted on the frame) with my face - I can then make template curves which I can later apply to any physical plastic sheet to make proper side shields in a matter of minutes. And probably I will not even need a 3d printer to make this template curves. Then all I need is my lenses to be grinded down to the proper diameter and plastic shields mounted between the frame and a lenses (can be done in any optical workshop). Most difficult part is to make 3d scans, but I think this is not a very big deal in big cities and also should be pretty inexpensive. Also finding proper plastic sheets can cause problems, but I think it is pretty doable.

PS: interesting link http://www.david-3d.com/en/applications/faces.
        Last edited by Andrey_V; 17-May-2015, 09:35.

Comment

Working...
        X