So should I buy these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So should I buy these?

I am on the verge of buying these, just a little nervous about it, it's quite a bit of money to me. But I am starting to get the feeling that it might be the only thing that provides any real relief. I guess my question is, to people that have glasses like these, do they really make a difference?

http://www.panoptx.com/html/va_pages...0_tactical.htm

I think the question begs for a bit of specificity that may be tough to come by ... but ...

1) You may want to do a quick search for "Panoptx" on this forum. I think many people have at least tried the -brand-, if not that model;

2) I can't ride my bicycle without them. I can't jog without them. It's getting awfully close to the point where I can't go outside without them ... unless I'm in a very humid area (at which point, wet lenses are worse than no lenses at all .... for me);

3) I -think- mine are Chinook. I -know- they have the color-changing lenses. For me, the fit is pretty darned good, but I'd consider buying another pair--like the ones you pointed to--with the clear lenses because--in my case--even the minimal tint makes my eyes work too hard in the evening;

4) Panoptx appears to make a high quality product that wears pretty well. Will it fit -your- face just right? I'd only advise that you pay attention to the frame sizes and the "size" face they suggest it matches.

I also found some good pointers on:

http://dryeyepain.com/Goggles.htm

All the best,

Neil

Comment

Thanks for the link. As far as the glasses go, If I buy a pair it has to be these because I need a pair that is z87 certified with a clear lens, for work, and this is the only pair I can find.

Comment

Other goggles

I have Harley-Davidson brand sunglass goggles which have polarized tinted lenses, interchangable with clear lenses, and a removable foam gasket. They are not as optically perfect as the PanOptx, but more flexible. I got them at the local H-D store but they are also available at the H-D website. I live in Arizona and am able to drive a convertible while wearing these.

Comment

Thanks, I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and go ahead and buy them. My problem is most severe at work. The building I work in looks just like the inside of a wal-mart, or a big grocery store...all these types of buildings for some reason irritate my eyes. Is this common?

Comment

Yeah.

Ohhhhh, yeah.

Many of us cringe at the thought of grocery shopping, Wal-Mart'ing, going to the mall, or any big-box retail environment.

Somebody suggested that the home builders stores (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) are the worst because of treated products--say: formaldehyde off-gassing in lumber.

Whatever it is: yuck.

Did you ask about a return policy with Panoptx?? You never know....

Good luck.

Comment

Before you buy

Just want to make sure you know that the pair you are looking at is NOT like the ones generally discussed on this forum. The ones most of us have contain the "Orbital Seal" eyecup. There are 4 models which have a fixed eyecup (that's the Velocity FX line) and 4 that have a removeable eyecup (that's the CV line), all 8 with the "Orbital Seal" technology.

I have not myself ever seen Panoptx' other eyecup types, only the Orbital Seal type, so I just wanted to point this out - are you familiar with and comfortable with the differences between the eyecups?
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

One further thought (sorry). Panoptx make terrific products. But they are expensive. If the eyecup on the model you're looking at is NOT as good as the Orbital Seal, it might well be worth looking at other types. The others have mentioned some options and I would just add Wiley-X to them. Wiley-X are cheaper than Panoptx, they're not as form-fitting, but they do have excellent optics and last I checked they had some models with eyecups (look for the Climate Control ine) that have interchangeable clear & tinted lenses.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
                  are you familiar with and comfortable with the differences between the eyecups?
                  No, sorry, I'm not familiar with the differences! Could you tell me, or give me a link?

Edit: their website doesnt give a whole lot of info, I will e-mail them and ask them if this seal is comparable to the orbital one. Thanks for you help!
                  Last edited by miltoney; 21-Nov-2006, 18:08.

Comment

Check this page for a good side-to-side comparison of the Orbital Seal versus one of their other seals. (Orbital Seal is on the left.) Unfortunately the website is pretty unwieldy when it comes to sorting out what's what.............
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Awesome! Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for! The warrior tacticals I want are SR100, so I guess these babies are perfect! I also emailed the company and asked them what the difference was between this seal and there orbital seals, they said that the only difference is that this one is also fire retardent. Again, thanks for your help, have a great Thanksgiving!

Comment

Working...
                      X