Today's tip: Plano glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's tip: Plano glasses

Any barrier in front of the eye can help prevent excessive evaporation or irritation from wind/drafts.

Even if you do not normally wear glasses, consider wearing glasses with a zero prescription as a moisture barrier. Pick out a few fun frames and have fun with them as accessories.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Are there any dry eye patients wearing plano glasses regularly to protect their eyes? I've lucked into a pair of plano glasses and will be giving it a try for a while. Just wondering who else is doing it and what they think...

Diana
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I have several pair. You can find them at a dollar store if you're lucky. These may not be the best for wraparound, but some cool ones nonetheless. I have a pair with green lens ala John Lennon style. I have a pair of pink tinted ones, blue tinted etc. I need to be wearing my contact lens when I use these. I would rather be wearing glasses than not, because I look better. (I have beady eyes, which I never noticed until the dreaded lasik.)

For the best type for us, probably a wraparound is best.
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

In my first few years post lasik I often wore plano glasses at work where wraparounds were not practical. They made a small but noticeable difference.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I go to Shopko or Walmart and buy those lightly tinted sunglasses. Some of them curve around the eye, I like those best. You can get them for around $10. I actually get a lot of compliments on them....people don't realize they are sunglasses. Yes, they do work. I wear them around the house and at work. I particularly notice when I am doing housework or walking around the house, my eyes are more protected from the drafts that we create when walking.

Comment

In Kohl's this afternoon, I saw a whole kiosk of glasses with only a tint to them. A very wide variety of styles. It's a good thing I need correction or....I would have bought a bunch... I have a thing for glasses and purses.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Acceptance and Indulgence

Two days ago, my eyes were feeling really good. I tried my contacts again. I lasted all of one hour, and that was with putting drops in twice! With that and today's doctor visit came the acceptance of the fact that I probably will never wear contacts again. So I said to myself, when life throws you lemons, make lemonade! While at my eye doctor's office today, I really splurged on a hot pair of prescription sunglasses. These are a wrap-around type, with polarized lenses. Made in Italy. I was going to go for the Panoptyx, but I just fell in love with these. All I could think of when I tried them on was "Jackie O". Ha Ha Ha.
              When feeling down about your eyes, it helps to buy something new. If that something doesn't help the pain, at least it might hide the redness and make life a bit more comfortable!
              Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Go Kitty!

-Kitty, your splurge with wraparound sunglasses may help you more than you think! Not as good as Panoptx, but in many cases, you may get more use of them.

I had a pair of wraparound glasses with transition lens and they were Elle' frames and sort of high funk. They were brown and I called them my 'Buddy Holly' glasses. I looked awful in them. But, they grew on me after awhile. Even after I had additional eye surgery and my RX changes, the Buddy Holly's still were my fave! Unfortunately, last year I lost them while traveling around the 4th of July. I had to buy a pair of Panoptx to replace them, but I still miss my Buddy Holly's. These have RX and progressive bifocals, so I'm talking $500 for both glasses and Panoptx. May your new glasses provide as much comfort as mine did.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by kitty
                  So I said to myself, when life throws you lemons, make lemonade!
                  Amen to that! Enjoy your fancy specs... that's great.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                  X