pantoptyx vs wiley-x vs harley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pantoptyx vs wiley-x vs harley

I have Wiley-x glasses and have been very happy with them. I have never tried any of the others. My Wiley-x glasses cost around $80, compared to the hundreds of dollars the other ones cost.
    So many of you rave about the Pantoptyx and HD glasses. I am wondering if I am missing something here. Has anyone ever compared these brands, and if so, could you tell me how the Wiley-x compares?
    I lose everything sooner or later. I am really hesitant to sink that much money in a pair of glasses. However....if they really are that superior.....

I've never done an actual comparison with goggles. I had a pair of Harley goggles once back in my early days of post-lasik dry eye. This included a bit of denial that my eye condition was permanent and I was still believing my LASIK surgeons claim regarding tear production and that, "he'd never seen anyone not get back to baseline." Still, the Harleys that I chose did not completely block wind. I didn't pay much for them either. Perhaps had I considered that my dry eyes were going to stay that way, I would have invested more at the time. These, in fact, are the mirrored blue ones I'm wearing in my avatar.

I do have three pairs of Panoptx. I'd say they ran me between $140 and $160. It was imperative that I have a second dark pair because I wear mine so often I need to send them back occasionally to have the foam replaced. They do this efficiently and free of charge.

At any rate, I cannot be without, so I opted to buy a second pair. I went ahead and also bought a pair that has really light lenses so that if I'm driving in the car at night and the air or heat is on, I can protect my eyes. Great for movie theaters, too. It's also a good pair for say Halloween night with my kids. I cannot tolerate being outside without them, but I don't need the tinted lenses. It's here where I tend to look like an idiot. I'm planning to put together a Harley outfit for Halloween to go with my goggles. I may as well go with it then feel self-conscious about it.

Quite honestly, another reason I've not tried Wilely-x is because I've never seen them to try them on. Where are they found?

Diana
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

http://www.wileyx.com/products.php
      I don't know which model I have. (I could look if you are interested) I know they came with interchangeable lenses. They look like sunglasses, but have some sort of inner seal on them. My teenagers say they are cool. They do not block any part of my vision, which I like.
      They are not totally windproof. At least the model I have isn't. On a very windy day, I will feel some wind on my eyes. But for most of the time, they work great.
      I heard about them over on SE. I believe the person who posted about them on SE also posts here, but am not sure about that.

Comment

Here's the dealer locator for Wiley-X:

http://wileyx.findlocation.com/

Jenny, it's funny because ever since you mentioned about not having any loss of side vision with yours I've been wanting to find out more about them. There are some dealers within a few miles of my office so I'm going to try to check them out sometime in the next couple of days if I can. Enquiring minds in the goggle wearing goober club want to know. I really really like the idea of interchangeable lenses. On the other hand though I really like the removeable foam pad gasket thingy on the Panoptx (you can buy replacements when they wear out... or if you're too lazy to wash them, yuck yuck).
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Face it folks, we're goggle junkies. We have an eye fetish and just can't get enough goggles etc. I must have 15 pair of glasses. Most of these are plano or reading glasses. This is goofey because I have a need for RX lens.

I never knew how much I relied on my Buddy Holly glasses until I lost them over July 4th. I've been sidelined every since. People like us just like throwing money at goggle dealers. If you have what works for you, keep it. When "it' wears out then try another brand. I doubt if there is one brand that will be far superior for all. This is good diversion, though, and takes our mind off dry eyes.
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

My gasket is not removeable, althouigh I saw some glasses on the Wiley-x site that are removeable. Since when I wear them I do want the protection, what exactly is the advantage of removeable? Just cleaning?
            Once in a while they come undone and a little superglue fixes that.
            Somehow I suspect the gaskets you are talking about are different than mine.
            Let me know how they compare.
            I have two sports-minded boys. They love my glasses because they are so comfortable and do not block vision at all. Really nice for those windy days on a dry, dusty baseball field. But mom doesn't give them up easily!!! And when your teenager says they look cool....that's high praise indeed!!!
            But I do need to invest in another pair, as I thought I lost mine and nearly panicked. I need to have a backup, which made me wonder if I should consider a different brand this time.
            Lucy - yes, it is good to concentrate on something we at least KNOW helps!

Comment

Originally posted by jcorbett
              Since when I wear them I do want the protection, what exactly is the advantage of removeable? Just cleaning?
              Cleaning, yes, but also it's easier to replace. Frankly if I had to send a pair in to get the foam thing replaced I probably wouldn't bother. With the removeable one you can just order a new one.

Once in a while they come undone and a little superglue fixes that.
              Somehow I suspect the gaskets you are talking about are different than mine.
              Let me know how they compare.
              OK I finally found the part of the Wiley-X site with the gaskets. I think they are similar (and they are almost identically priced - $25 Panoptx, $24 Wiley-X).

With the Panoptx, there are actually a couple of different mechanisms that attach it to the frames, depending on the style. My Siroccos (the style I find the most comfortable personally) have a very practical mechanism but my one complaint with them is that it is slightly too loose: I've had the gasket slide out when i didn't want it to. I'm trying a pair of Raptors now where the gasket fits much more tightly.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Wow! I haven't looked at the Wiley site in ages and they sure offer more styles and features than they used to have. I have owned two pair of Wiley XL-1 for three years. I chose Wileys because they didn't obstruct my peripheral vision and because they felt more comfortable to me than the Panoptx. Panoptx styles were too tight, too loose, the foam gaskets too thick...like Goldilocks I guess. I always ended up sending them back.

On the other hand, Wiley gaskets would peel off and I found they dug into my face as they aren't as soft as the foam on the Harleys and Panoptx. I ended up shaving some of the Wiley gasket 'nubs' off for comfort. They also fogged up quite a bit when I was mowing the lawn and sweating (glowing?) a bit.

The Harleys have worked best for me. They are comfortable and don't limit my peripheral vision as much as Panoptx. I could never wear the Harleys without the foam gasket however because they are way too big and flop around on my face without it. However...I made my decision about goggle-preference long before each brand had so many options!

Now that I've seen Wileys' new-to-me products (with removeable gaskets, transition lenses and prescription availability) I might try Wileys again. I always liked how they looked.
                Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Ya know, I love you gals, really, but don't you kinda wish we were discussing book titles or award-winning recipes...the Academy Awards...anything but goggles?!
                  Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

You guys are as bad as a bunch of old ladies in a knitting circle. Which yarn is best? Mine is better than yours. What size needles are you using?

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I have Harley's. They have detachable foam (which I never detach) and they cost $99. Harley has many different styles, but mine is called "Profile". They are simple and black and the Harley store is down the street.

I bought two pair about 4 weeks ago and decided to adjust the arm. I should have gone to an eyeglass place so they could do it professionally, but I didn't and I broke them. Harley said to come on in with the receipt and I'll get a new pair, even though I broke them trying to loosen the arm. They are so nice there.

Now they have more styles to choose from.

For glasses without foam, I like the Arnette brand called "slide". I bought them a few years ago at Sunglass Hut. I can wear them when it's not so windy or cold.

Chris

Comment

Diana & Lucy - I know! But I can't help myself! If I don't have something to obsess over, my life just isn't right! Takes the mind off other things, you know.
                        I can see my fall wardrobe shopping is going to include a trip to Harley dealership. Maybe I'll invest in some black leather to go with the glasses.

Cindy - mine peel off occasionally. But super glue fixes that. They do sit right on my cheecks, but I have gotten used to that. I rarely have any trouble with fogging up, but I suppose that depends on how tightly they fit. Or how hard you sweat. And sweating is not in my vocabulary if I can help it.

I was surprised to find some Wiley'x dealers nearby. Guess I will have to stop in.

Comment

Hi, I have a small face and all of the glasses I've looked at seem rather large. I order some Panoptx Chinook sunglasses but they were too big and I sent them back. I was wondering if any of you might know which models are better for women or people with small faces?
                          Thanks!
                          Missy

Comment

Originally posted by Missy
                            Hi, I have a small face and all of the glasses I've looked at seem rather large. I order some Panoptx Chinook sunglasses but they were too big and I sent them back. I was wondering if any of you might know which models are better for women or people with small faces?
                            Thanks!
                            Missy
                            Missy,

Do you have a local dealer where you could try on the different styles? It can be tough just guessing at it.

When I got my first pair, I never got around to going to a dealer so Rosemary looked at a picture of me and suggested that the Sirocco would be best for me - and it sure was. I tried a pair of Raptors and I had fogging problems immediately that I never had with the Sirocco. I don't have enough experience with the others to say, except that the Kona sure was designed for a narrower face than mine (mine is big and round as you can see).
                            Rebecca Petris
                            The Dry Eye Foundation
                            dryeyefoundation.org
                            800-484-0244

Comment

If you have a small face, the Viento frame is a good choice. I went to my local Harley dealer who sells Panoptx and tried them on. A nice fit. However, I did not want to buy mine with permanent gaskets. I got the Sirocco with removable foam inserts. I also have a RX lens, plus progressive bifocals AND Transition lens. The Sirocco was not as good a fit as the Viento, but since mine are costing $500, I wanted something I could wear with or without the inserts.

Panoptx has "just started" making progressive bifocals. I'm taking a big chance, I know, with RX and all, but having lasik was a much bigger risk. It's taking a long time because they had to send frames here so I could have them measured, then back to Panoptx.........I should have in about 10 days. Can you tell I'm excited?

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                              X