Sealed night moisture chamber - home made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealed night moisture chamber - home made

I made a video a few months ago to show my personal fine-tuned homemade "goofy nighttime moisture chamber" making process, but had been too shy to post it. Well I figure if Alieshia can do it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWQND6XSpac - another great option btw), then I can too

It won't work for many, and maybe not for anyone but me (it definitely won't work for thin skin, or shallow eyes/eyelashes). But just in case it inspires someone to come up with a better solution for themselves, I'm posting it here:http://youtu.be/M0VVpS4CxC8 . It should be finished uploading by tomorrow.

This solution requires large bandages, medical tape, and clear sheets like duralar.

Another option I use is to make duralar into single eye sheilds, and attach that directly to my face with elastic thread or tape. It's not as airtight, but makes scratching an itch, cleaning, and defogging much easier. I've tried adding some ear-plug wax to give it some more space above my eyelashes, but that never stuck well to the duralar.

I'm fond of duralar patches because you can't see it on me under some nice pairs women's sunglasses, and they don't hinder vision (other than fogging of course).

I'm always interested in other ideas for improvement.

Thank you, L8grator! I sent the link to my dry eye friend from Russia. They don't have any nighttime moisture chamber around, so I hope they can make their own like you did.

Comment

Great videos L8rgator! Thanks for sharing them here. Alieshia's is so thorough and detailed (although quite the nightly process), and yours is very straight-forward, seems more effective, and certainly the easier solution.

Have you tried EyeEco's "eyeseals"? I like them, but am back to wearing a smaller, low-profile pair of 7eye glasses overnight (with a croakies-type leash attached, and wet cosmetic cotton-squares placed in each of the eye cups). These always stay on, provide an air-seal, keep things moist, are not terribly uncomfortable, and I can even sleep on my side with them.

The eyeseals do provide a pretty efficient, almost airtight seal though, and they conform well, are fairly comfortable, and don't leave red marks or impressions on your face like the onyx goggles. The thermoplastic(?) material its made of however is prone to tearing over time, unless one is very careful not to pull too hard on the elastic headband straps that are attached to the outside edges of this "mask".
      Last edited by MGD666; 24-Apr-2015, 23:51.

Comment

Night eye shields/googles/bandaids/patches

Originally posted by MGD666 View Post
        Have you tried EyeEco's "eyeseals"? I like them, but am back to wearing a smaller, low-profile pair of 7eye glasses overnight (with a croakies-type leash attached, and wet cosmetic cotton-squares placed in each of the eye cups).
        I have not seen those! I'll definitely have to order a pair and try them. My problem previously with most things that go around my head is that I can't seem to keep them on while I sleep. Unless I tape them to my face. Which I used to do with the Quartz, but it was still difficult to keep it from ending up more in my eye than around it by the time I woke up. These look very interesting!

Why are you back to the 7eyes? I tried a few 7eyes, but no luck with finding one that fit even a little. Which do you have?

Comment

The eyeseals are certainly worth trying, very comfortable and a pretty good seal. However, even though the attached strap is adjustable (again, you must take precautions that you do this gently to avoid tearing the mask material where its attached) I still find that about 50% of the time, I wake up with it on my forehead - which of course defeats the purpose. So, maybe you have a good idea there in regard to taping it (using those Nexcare bandages). In any case, because of that, I now prefer to use a pair 7eye glasses as sleeping goggles. They stay on all night. The one I use is the Ventus (scaled down version of the Panhead - I have a big, wide face though) although I imagine any of the smaller frames would do best on most people (Churada, Viento, etc..). Anyway, they are not as cumbersome as you might think. I do find the foam padding wears down a little quicker probably due to the wet cotton squares I place in each of the eye-cups. But, for now, this is what works best for me. I do find they are a must for me to wear DURING THE DAY as well.

I really think 7eye is great, but agree that finding the best fitting frame can indeed be challenging. First of all, you have to locate a retailer nearby who has a big selection of the frames, which is no easy task for many. A proper fit and seal is a must. I have tried on over 12 different pairs, and I think they have perhaps 15 or so total styles that have the removable air shield. The way each of them fits on your face, and the area covered surrounding your eyes, varies pretty dramatically frame by frame. When you find one that feels right though, you'll know it. The "foam" material that they use now for the gaskets is also very comfortable and cleans easily (I use distilled or filtered water only) - and it also plays friendly with lotion, ointments, moisturizer. Much prefer them over what Wiley-X uses for "foam", or Rudy Project, etc..

To find a retailer near you, go the 7eye.com and click on the "Find a Dealer" link at the very bottom right of their home page.

Comment

MGD666

Your glasses (7eye) do not break when you sleep?

Comment

No worry about that at all, the 7eye frames are strong, as are the lenses

Comment

My 7eyes broke with 8 months of use

Comment

Where did they break? You should contact the company directly, as they are apparently very good about replacing their frames for customers.

Comment

It's been 4 years.
                    Broke right on the bridge of the nose, which is why I asked.

Comment

Working...
                    X