anyone burn eyelids from warm/hot compresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone burn eyelids from warm/hot compresses

i have burnt my eyelids from going too hot on my compresses from the microwave heat? If so, what do you do??? I am using antibiotic ointment--do I need to totally lay off the warm compress??
    Jenny

How badly did u burn your lids? ie . just red or are they blistered?

Comment

o gosh i am ashamed to say but blistered... spoke to my eye doc today-he said lay off the heat and compresses until eyelids heal or my eyelids will not heal at all.. they bled today.. so i gotta take a break for a few days at least...

warning to anyone-it took one time of putting ona rice baggie too hot--my fault--if its too hot in your hand it is way too hot for the delicate eyelids..

has anyone else done this ? i cant be the only one???? thanks SAAG for replying!!
      Jenny

Comment

Those rice bags can be sneaky. I had already burned my neck with one I used for a stiff neck, so had learned my lesson to hold it in my hand and kind of squish it around to feel how hot. I found out that they can be much hotter in the middle and if you don't squeeze them to test, they can feel okay on the outside but, inside is another story.

Hope you heal fast, oh my, just what you don't need is sore eyelids to go along with everything else. Best wishes for speedy healing.
        Lynda

Comment

Thanks for your wishes.. I just pray that my glands don't shut w/ina few days!! yikes.. i wsa doing so good.. but Dr. Foulks told me to stop doing them until my lids heal or that could lead to worse problems.. at least if they do clog i can make the trip to Louisville and he gets them open w/ a minute..

btw.. i think that is what happened-part of the rice baggie was hotter than the other-one eyelid is worse.. thanks again..

things will workout..
          Jenny

Comment

Jenny, I am so sorry!!! I hope you heal quickly. I'd be doing whatever my doctor told me plus cold packs on the lids if they OK'd it. Gel soother or a ziplock baggie of crushed ice & water.

Tips for anyone reading this who isn't sure whether they're getting it too hot...
            • Rice baggies should be tested against the inside of your wrist.
            • If it's mine rather than a home-made one, always heat WITHOUT the slipcover, because the slipcover will conceal how hot it is... until it's been on your eye a little while (I made that mistake while testing prototypes!).
            • SHAKE IT UP before you apply it.
            • Don't be tempted to heat it hotter just so it will stay hot longer. It's not worth it. Burning the lid is bad... burning the cornea (right through the lid) is also a possibility. If you want heat more than 10 minutes, re-heat it.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

If it makes you feel better, I've got a big red welt on my left upper lid from doing the same thing earlier this week. Can come with the territory . ... I have a habit of wetting one side of the slipcover while the bag is nuking. Obviously, this side gets a lot hotter once you put the bag in, which can be helpful since it's "moist" heat we're going after. Now, I have started using the dry side for the first 3 minutes or so of the compress, then switching it over to the wet side.

Comment

thanks everyone..it is so annoying.. i want to do my compresses!!! but my lids are healing..ughh.. thanks Rebecca for your tips... i will admit i was overheating and putting the cover on and doing so in the hopes i wouldn't have to reheat in the microwave.. i will not do that again..

Rob-I am sorry to hear you too have a burn.. Is moist heat better for the MGD? Rebecca-do you happen to have an opinion on this???

Thanks everyone. I see my doc in Louisville who I totally trust on Monday! he will get them unclogged for me..Happy Holidays to all of you
                Jenny

Comment

Hey. On your "moist heat" question. I think this one falls under the "it's better if it works for you!" category. I say yes. One of my doctors likened it to how water conducts electricity ... I never fully got the comparison, but my vote is that a wet rice baggy beats a dry rice baggy.

*(Don't ask me what to do about all the wet rice it's gonna leave you with, though)

Comment

I agree with Rob: better = what works for you. Personally I prefer dry rice.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

I use a warm wash cloth with a rice baggy (in a plastic bag to keep it dry) over it for longer warmth.

This gives me moist heat for a good ten minutes and no soggy rice ;-))

Comment

The plastic bag is a smart idea. ... now I am stuck on the idea of a pork fried rice baggy ... should not read DEZ while hungry ...

Comment

now I'm hungry

Comment

I’ve had a Blepharoplasty done just over a month ago. I did the silly thing of microwaving my compress. Now I have a blotchy red blister that will not go away? Is therr there anything I can do to heal it ?

Comment

Working...
                            X