Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on Hot Compress while away from home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on Hot Compress while away from home.

I have MGD and will be travelling to Europe for a week in May on business. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions/experiences on the best way to do effective hot compresses while travelling.

I often wondered if those packets you break to warm your hands or feet for skiing or the cold would work when travelling? Peggy

Comment

You might try taking a heating pad with you, and some plastic bags. Soak a washcloth or hand towel in hot tap water and wring it out. Put it over your eyes followed by a piece of plastic then the heating pad which has been pre-heated. The heating pad will help keep the compress warmer longer. Some heating pads come with a water resistant cover.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

This might be a bit of a stretch, but ... many hotels now offer rooms with a microwave. If you can, inquire about that. If there's a microwave, just bring a small version of one of the rice/corn bags (less than a pound) with you and use it.

I've been pretty successful with getting m/w-equipped rooms, but that was primarily on domestic travel.

Good luck ... and TAKE ME WITH YOU!

Comment

You might email Rebecca and she if she can direct you on the disposable heat pads made for the eye...
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Thanks guys for the tips..

Neil as you said domestic travel that's much easier for.. Unfortunately European business hotels tend to be pretty bare bones.. I'm also thinking about maybe buying a small coffeee pot and heating my gel mask in that.. not sure what else I can do..

Comment

There's a self-heating disposable warm compress made by a Japanese company but unfortunately it's not on the market yet. Dr. Tseng (The Ocular Surface Center) may still have some, might be worth contacting them. I had some samples but used them all up.

Originally posted by JJ75
              I'm also thinking about maybe buying a small coffeee pot and heating my gel mask in that.. not sure what else I can do..
              Not a bad idea really. I used to travel with a small electric kettle to warm bottles for my daughter after I stopped nursing. In fact I think I still have the teeny little one that fit in my 1-suiter carryon. Maybe heat some water and pour it over the mask in a coffee cup or something?
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

I'm also thinking about maybe buying a small coffeee pot and heating my gel mask in that.. not sure what else I can do..
                Would a heating pad, or a "moist heating pad," be better/easier?

example: http://www.goodmans.net/item.asp?n=C...-HPO1R&sc=FRGL

voltage and receptacle adapters are cheap ... and you likely already have them.

Comment

Originally posted by neil0502
                  Would a heating pad, or a "moist heating pad," be better/easier?

example: http://www.goodmans.net/item.asp?n=C...-HPO1R&sc=FRGL

voltage and receptacle adapters are cheap ... and you likely already have them.

Would something like that work for your eyes..

Comment

JJ75, see my previous post regarding one way to use a heating pad. The principle would be the same for a moist heating pad, as you would need a wet washcloth or something to contour the shape of the moist pack to your eyes.
                    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Would something like that work for your eyes..
                      Sure. A heating pad ... perhaps atop a wet washcloth ... should work fine.

Might you have to push down on it so that it appropriately contacts your closed eyes? Sure, you might.

I'm not being facetious or argumentative here (tone is so totally absent online), but what is it about the notion of a heating pad that you view as impractical?

Best,
                      Neil

Comment

Originally posted by neil0502
                        Sure. A heating pad ... perhaps atop a wet washcloth ... should work fine.

Might you have to push down on it so that it appropriately contacts your closed eyes? Sure, you might.

I'm not being facetious or argumentative here (tone is so totally absent online), but what is it about the notion of a heating pad that you view as impractical?

Best,
                        Neil
                        I actually just wasn't sure.. Thinking about it last night it may just be the easiest solution...

Has anyone tried this?

Comment

I know people who use this method and are satisfied with it.

As with anything warm applied to the lids you need to be cautious about temperature and test it out carefully.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

JJ75 - where'd you get the gel mask? What brand is it? I use a gel pack, which I love, but have never seen a gel mask that I could heat. I found one that I could freeze and that is nice for those times.

Comment

Ah, yes. I love my freezer gel-packs. BUT, I have attempted to heat one or two in the microwave and they did not withstand the heat, even 30 seconds. I'm sure it's possible, but I've ruined a couple of things trying to heat in the microwave. I know, I know. Start with a few seconds, add a few more. But, I won't try using the micro for anything I've paid much $$ for anymore.

I've taken a heating pad and used on my eyes while traveling. In fact, I usually throw in a heating pad just for the heck of it. Living in Michigan, well, you know.......... My heating pad has a solid plastic cover, then a cloth removable cover which may be washed. Try saran wrap and a wet washcloth under your heating pad and see if that works. Necessity is the mother of invention. Let us know after you've finished your trip what worked and what didn't.
                              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                              X