Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm compress - Home eye spa

Hi!

So I have decided to start again with warm compresses and massage the eye lids, as in Dr. Latkany's book. Last time I tried this, I had very warm compresses and to much massage. I'll try to be gentle now with only a few min of warm (not hot) compresses.

In his book, he said that symptoms should be less/gone within 6 months.

How long before you noticed a real improvement? I've read that the improvement can come after 1 month.. I think 6 months is a long time..
    The cure: be open minded

I have just recently restarted my aggressive warm / hot compress and massage using the sinus buddy and massaging my lids in the mirror. I decided to restart this after Lipiflow because to be honest, it was a VERY good lesson in the correct way to perform a warm compress.

I have never used the eye spa, but it sounds like I might want to try it.

The trick with the compress is making sure you actually touch and press down on the margins of the lids - both the upper and the lower at the same time if you can. Also, since Lipiflow was 12 minutes, I have started doing the 20 minute compress. Hopefully my warm compresses are worth about $1500 each!! Also, then I do a gentle massage while my lids are still warm and then I massage them in the mirror. I don't know if I have been more successful than Lipiflow, but it seems I'm not losing any glands, that's for sure.

How long does it take? Man, that is the million dollar question, because if someone could tell me that for sure, then I would do the best compress and massage possible for that amount of time and then I would have this under control.

Actually 6 months seems pretty reasonable to me. I think my glands have been backing up for about 10 months now and it seems like it will take 6 months to undo all that damage. Maybe there is someone out there who got results in 1 month, but I don't think it would be me, becuase I have done compresses for that long with Azasite, Restasis, etc. and didn't notice anything.

To me, Lipiflow was as valuable as 50 hot compresses that I do on myself. So, since that's case, I think I got a big jumpstart in the warm compress with Lipiflow and will continue very aggressive compresses until the next time I get Lipiflow. If I can do this for 3 months, then get the next Lipiflow, this should be as good as Dr. Latkany's 6 months of home spa, no?

Comment

Originally posted by redandsensitive View Post
      So I have decided to start again with warm compresses and massage the eye lids, as in Dr. Latkany's book. Last time I tried this, I had very warm compresses and to much massage. I'll try to be gentle now with only a few min of warm (not hot) compresses.
      I think that's a good idea. We have to be cautious of excessive heat, never forgetting that heat promotes inflammation. There are people who cannot get their MGs cleared effectively without prolonged heat, but I think people attempting this should be doing so under the direction and supervision of an expert.

In his book, he said that symptoms should be less/gone within 6 months.

How long before you noticed a real improvement? I've read that the improvement can come after 1 month.. I think 6 months is a long time..
      Frustrating isn't it. We're all different. In the past when I used compresses more I could tell the difference pretty quickly. But for others it can take months. However, it is helpful to get your MGs evaluated by the dr. regularly during that period because often they can see improvement before you feel improvement - so knowing things are looking better can motivate us to continue a treatment that hasn't seemed to help yet.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Hi R&S!
        How are you these days? Just thought about you.
        When I started with hot compresses couple of years ago it was a huge improvement almost instantly. But maybe it's because it was spring and the central heating period had just ended (I live in a Nordic country as well). But everybody is different. I personally have some triggers of inflammation that I have to avoid, but hot compress is great!
        Take care!
        Ave

Comment

Thank you, all 3 I'm doing better, so I've started with research again. You had a huge improvement almost instantly? Good for you. I don't feel any different now, after I started with gentle massage and 3 min of warm compresses. Maybe a little dryer after. Have a nice day.
          The cure: be open minded

Comment

Working...
          X