X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massaging the top lid the Latkany way

Hi all,

In Dr Latkany's book, he recommends doing a home eye spa treatment where you use a cotton wool bud (or Q tip) to press against the eyelid margin, in order to push the contents of the meibomian glands up and out of the ducts.

I'm easily able to do this with my lower eyelids, pushing in a more upwards direction - which seems to make sense in order to get the oil out, and also means I am not squishing my eyeball.

However when it comes to my upper eyelids, I find I am not able to push down - because of the angle of the eyelid and the eyelid margin - so I end up just pushing against my eyeball. Because you can barely apply any pressure this way, it feels like I'm not really doing anything.

Can anyone advise please? Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

I'd really appreciate anyone's suggestions.

Hi Red,
    Hold the Q-tip horizontally for the top lids. I press my lashes back with the Q-tip and hold them down with it while I press. It works. I know what you mean. Crazy, but the top lids are harder to work with than the bottom! Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi LaDiva,

Very kind of you to advise. I've just tried and am a bit confused.

Do you mean hold the Q tip horizontally in the same plane as the eye, or horizontally but perpendicular to the eye. And do you press your lashes upwards, so you are pushing the Q tip underneath them? Or pressing them downwards so the Q tip is above them? And is your eyelid closed or open?

Sorry so many questions!

Comment

Hi Redandunhappy,
        Hold the Q-tip horizontally in the same plane as the eye. Press the lashes upwards so you are underneath them, but move the Q-tip back a little on the lashes so you are not right on the edge of the eyelid. Eyelid is open, and stretch the skin at the edge of the eye so the lid is taught. (...but not too taught! Ouch!) Then press. If you have a magnifying mirror and some light, you should be able to see the fruit of your labors. Hard to explain, easier to see!

Comment

Thanks LaDiva,

Do you reckon you can actually see oil coming out when you do it?

Just tried and it's not easy! Not sure I'm going to get the hang of it. I can't seem to apply any force at all without really poking my eyeball, or pulling my eyelid too much.
          Might be easier to pull the eyelid a little away from the eye, and squeeze it between two fingers.

Have you tried that?

Comment

Hi Red,
            Yes, I can see the oil, but you need a good magnifying mirror and some light. I have a mirror with a light and a flashlight. I had to practice for awhile. Guess you just have to see what works for you.

Comment

Working...
            X