Hot Compresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Compresses

I suffer from MGD and use hot compresses 2 x day for 10 minutes each application. I heat up water in a "hot pot" and use washcloths, and I have to get the water pretty hot in order for there to be any effect. As a result, my eyes are discolored from the combination of heat and water. I have tried a pouch filled with deer corn which I place in the microwave, but it is less effective in dealing with my symptoms.

I am wondering if anyone else has my problem and also if anyone has any advice. Of course, the major pain with this regimen is having to get access to hot water and apply compresses during the day. Thanks.

Hi ericdinn,

A popular form of heat treatment among MGD patients here is the rice baggy. It can be made very simply: Take a clean, sheer sock or stocking, add a handful or two of rice and tie it off. (Personally I use a small cotton bag made for the purpose - shaped as a rectangle and large enough to fully cover both eyes when laid across them.)

You can zap it in the microwave to a safe temperature - test first! Some people put a glass of water in the microwave to add a little moisture.

The rice bag method has several advantages: It doesn't present all that water which can be irritating to the skin; it stays warm for quite a long time; and it is heavy and flexible so it conforms to the eyes, which serves to deliver heat more effectively.

There are also other options - everyone seems to have their favorite. There is a single-use disposable self-heating warm compress available from The Ocular Surface Center in Miami (sort of a large teabag shaped thing) which in my experience gets and stays plenty warm though you have to hold it against your eyes yourself.

Hope this helps!
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X