X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best method for cold compress?

Hi
    I've tried many things for this blepharitis / MGD, but one thing I haven't tried very much is a cold compress. I only tried it for a month or so when this whole thing started at the beginning of 2011. I only used a cold flannel, which obviously doesn't stay cold for very long.
    I've been doing research and I'm thinking that one of my problems is meibomian seborrhoea. I've been told by two different opticians (6 months apart) that my tear film is oily. I also had a TBUT of over 10 seconds on the most recent optician visit, which is interesting considering how gritty my eyes felt that day. I had been looking into buying blephasteam goggles, but it says not to use them if you have meibomian seborrheoa.
    I also have oily skin around the eyelids, the eyelashes stick together (unless I clean them), dandruff and mild acne problems on my face - all these things seem to tie in together.
    So I would appreciate some advice about the best cold compress techniques, and if there are any products I can buy in the UK.
    Thanks
    DAve

I use an inexpensive gel cold pack that you can find at most stores over-the-counter. They come in various sizes, but I use the larger one that fits over both eyes and also my sinuses.

I place a thin dishtowel around it and place it over my eyes and sinuses. Since it is made of gel, it is flexible and can be formed to the shape that works for you. It stays cool for about 10 minutes, usually all I need.

Comment

Thanks Scout - I guess those packs you mention are the sorts used for dealing with sports injuries? If so, I expect I could them at some stores in UK. Ta

Comment

I use knee high pantyhose and fill with rice and I put them in the freezer! Have found that this is the best way to have a cold compress that I can make as solid or soft as I need depending on how much rice I put in the knee high. I always have 4 or 5 in the freezer and use them in the AM when my lids are puffy. This really works for me!

Comment

Working...
        X