This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarisonic

I just spoke with a customer who has the Clarisonic Opal sonic system and has been using it for a gentle eyelid massage on the lid margin area after warm compresses. Her eye doctors know she's using it and didn't have any objections. Between that and diluted tea tree oil she thinks she's seeing some improvement. (MGD/rosacea case.) Made me curious so I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else using it comes out of the woodwork. This is not a recommendation Never seen or handled personally.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

interesting..i looked at the link..i am assuming she is using it without cream on the applicator??
    Jenny

Comment

Jenny raises a good question. The applicator looked hollow that needed filling with some sort of cream. Afterall, it's a product to assist absorption of skin creams. But overall, a "massager" for the eyelids that can penetrate the skin layers is a great idea.

Comment

DCR--I love the concept of the massager... it looks great.. a qtip hurts and using my fingers i feel like i tug at my skin so bad... but thanks for explaining my post even more thoroughly!!! appreciate it!!!
        Jenny

Comment

I have one. I've used it a couple of times in areas around the eye besides below the eye. I don't know that it made any difference when I was using it. I used it consistently until I ran out of the serum (it comes with 2 'packs' that last a couple of months, at least). Honestly, it ended up in the relatively large pile of 'machines' I have, including the Clarisonic cleaner and this crazy laser light thing. If you can keep it up, it's probably not bad but like everything else, it takes time and I spend so much time on my eyes already with drops, supplements, etc that I'm trying to cut down my daily requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
            The applicator looked hollow that needed filling with some sort of cream.
            Perhaps use Azasite?

Comment

If I can get my ophthalmologist to prescribe it!! They are very conservative, bordering on "hopeless" in Australia when it comes to dry eye treatments. I travel interstate to see the only recognized dry eye clinic in Australia, the ophthalmologist does prescribe azasite but preferred me try oral Doxycycline since he beliefs it has stronger studies to support it. I'll ask him for it on my next visit.

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
                Perhaps use Azasite?
                I should clarify -- what I meant was, perhaps use Azasite in the Clarisonic Opal machine instead of the cream that comes with the device. That way, if the massaging does do "something", perhaps you'll also get some Azasite (or similar) down into the MGs.

Comment

Yes I understood you perfectly spmcc and believe it's a great idea. The only problem is my ophthalmologist wouldn't prescribe me azasite when I asked him too and rather, he chose oral Doxycycline instead. I want to try azasite.

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
                    Yes I understood you perfectly spmcc and believe it's a great idea. The only problem is my ophthalmologist wouldn't prescribe me azasite when I asked him too and rather, he chose oral Doxycycline instead. I want to try azasite.
                    Okay. So, you might want to try telling your doctor that you'd prefer to treat the specific area versus your whole system (perhaps unnecessarily and with side effects).

Here's a 2011 review article on Azasite: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21750614

The full-text is available here: http://www.torna.do/s/Update-and-cri...ar-infections/

In the conclusion, the authors write

Current literature supports the efficacy and safety of topical azithromycin ophthalmic 1% solution DuraSite (AzaSite) in the treatment of various ocular surface disorders, particularly bacterial conjunctivitis, blepharitis and dry eye. The combination of anti-inflammatory properties along with high and prolonged tissue concentrations, particularly in the lid margin and ocular surface due to polycarbophil (the aqueous mucoadhesive polymer contained in DuraSite) suggest that azithromycin ophthalmic solution, 1% has potential to serve as a treatment option for patients experiencing a wide range of conditions associated with the lid margin and ocular surface.

Comment

Thanks for the info spmcc. Indeed, I prefer not to keep up with oral doxycycline and resort to a more local treatment such as azasite. I'll send the research to my ophthalmologist to read and suggest I want to try it. Considering I have fly to see him, I'd be disappointed if all I was told is "just reduce Doxycycline" down by 50mg and keep everything else the same". It's not good being on an oral antibiotic for so long. I'd most likely refuse to half the dose of Doxycycline and demand Azasite.

Comment

Working...
                      X