Warm Compress Complication?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm Compress Complication?

So my doctor recommended doing warm compresses for at least 15min at least 3X a day, followed by lid massage. I've been doing this for the last week and so far I think it's been helping somewhat, I know it takes more time to notice real results so I'm willing to give it more time.

Recently though I've been noticing that the compresses were making the skin around my eyes real red. And after the last week, the areas that were turned real red have now become real dark. Some people have asked me if I got in a fight as they look like black eyes that are in the process of healing. Personally I really don't care what i look like as long as my eyes are comfortable, but what I'm wondering is if I'm damaging the skin in that area around my eyes.

Anyone experience anything like this?

How warm are the compresses? Maybe you should cut back a little. My doc said 3 minutes is plenty on the compress. I don't do it at all though because for me it makes my inflammation worse. I do try to massage my lids after the shower though, and I think this might help. But over doing anything is not good. Also, is your warm compress wet? Sometimes water can make things worse too.

Comment

DON'T OVERHEAT COMPRESSES! Serious danger of burning eyelids as well as being hard on the skin around the eyes. Keep in mind you're just trying to raise the temperature in the glands by a few degrees. - To avoid irritating the skin around the eyes further I'd use a type that can be applied just on the lid margins. That could be holding a rice or flax baggy by one end and pressing it just where it's needed, or using Thermoeyes as they're quite small, or something like that.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
      X