No announcement yet.

How much minutes to do warm compresses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much minutes to do warm compresses?

I been struggling with dry eye for 4 years and it's getting worse every time, I literally I'm out of options, tried Lipiflow twice, serum eye droms, cauterization, tried every single drops and just theratears gel work a little bit , etc. I can't even go out and I'm at bed all day listeining to radio because of the burning.

I'd been doing 10-15 mins of hot compresses every day religiously because I don't want them to get worse, my doctors says that anything below that doesn't do anything so I try to follow his advise.
    But I'm thinking of switching this pattern because clearly it doesn't work, something like 5 mins a day.

So my question is, is any of you guys had any positive effects doing 5 mins daily of compresses? Or just generally how much minutes you guys do the warm compresses?

Thanks a lot

When my eyes get really bad or I am out of drops that's when I use that. i bought the dry eye compress from walnart. I am sure there would be a difference in times for the different compresses. I stick it in the microwave for 17 seconds on high, but I also do it the old fashion way and use a warm washcloth, which also let's me remove the mucus build up that I get. I understand, when you talk about the burning sensation. It feels like hot sand in your eyes or at least that's what it feels like in my own experience with dry eyes. What I use is always preservative free and I flush my eyes out with purilens plus ultra pf, and boy does that feel good when I continously squirt it in my eyes. I can tell you that it feels better than a couple measly drops. I also smoke marijuana (indica strain) which helps manage the pain. Someone that I heard about that was born without tears or something to that extent said that marijuana is the only thing that's ever helped him.
    Last edited by Arcluce; 13-Mar-2016, 03:20.

Comment

The eye doc at UC told me to do compresses for 10 minutes three times a day. It has made a big difference, and I found that my previous 5 minutes was not enough. She also told me (after using compresses) to go around the eye and gently pinch the eyelids between thumb and fore finger gently massaging back and forth for about 10 seconds in each position until you have gone entirely around each eye. This combo has helped much more than things I've tried previously.

Comment

For some reason whenever I do the compresses I feel a lot worse afterwards and I feel it burning it more. I don't even know why the hell I seem to react badly to it when it's suppose to make me feel better. I'm out of ideas but thanks for the input anyways guys.

Comment

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
          The eye doc at UC told me to do compresses for 10 minutes three times a day. It has made a big difference, and I found that my previous 5 minutes was not enough. She also told me (after using compresses) to go around the eye and gently pinch the eyelids between thumb and fore finger gently massaging back and forth for about 10 seconds in each position until you have gone entirely around each eye. This combo has helped much more than things I've tried previously.

Is there any video of the massage so I could try it too?
          Thanks

Comment

Hi Daniel,
            I cannot find a video of that technique on YouTube, but basically you use a warm compress for 10 minutes. Next gently pinch the lid between your thumb and forefinger and gently move the skin back and forth between your two fingers. Do it all the way around both eyes, bottom and top. You are massaging right to left. Not up and down, if that makes sense. If this is not clear, let me know and I'll see if I can find the flier the doc sent home.

Comment

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
              Hi Daniel,
              I cannot find a video of that technique on YouTube, but basically you use a warm compress for 10 minutes. Next gently pinch the lid between your thumb and forefinger and gently move the skin back and forth between your two fingers. Do it all the way around both eyes, bottom and top. You are massaging right to left. Not up and down, if that makes sense. If this is not clear, let me know and I'll see if I can find the flier the doc sent home.
              Yeah I'd appreciate the flier, if you could find it. I don't want to do it wrong and do more harm than good..

Comment

Hi Daniel,
                I cannot figure out how to upload the file. If someone can please help, that would be great. I've tried JPEG, TIFF, PDF, OpenEx, JPEG2000, PNG...not sure what to do. If no one knows how to do this, I will type it out. I get invalid attachment_storage. Is the file too big? Thanks.

Comment

Typing it is. There are boxes next to these items, and all of them were checked for me, meaning that some people do not need to do all of these things, but I do. (There is that everyone is different thing again!)
                  • Warm Compress: Heat gel beads or whatever you use in the microwave. Check the heat on your hand to make sure it is not too hot to apply over your eyes. Apply the compresses gently over closed eyes for 10-15 minutes. Reheat as necessary. Avoid pressing into the globe of the eye. This will help melt clogged oil inside the glands of the eyelids.
                  • Digital Massage: Remove the warm compress and gently pinch your lower lid near the lid margin with your thumb and forefinger, and use a rolling motion to massage the lid. Work your way across both the lower and upper lids of each eye, massaging for about 10 seconds per lid portion. Again, avoid pressing into the globe of the eye. This will help evacuate the blockages inside the glands of the eyelids.
                  • Lid Scrub: Remove make-up, if applicable. Place 1-2 drops of baby shampoo on cotton ball or square, then wet with water to create lather. Scrub the lids and eyelashes while the eyes are closed. Rinse thoroughly. Alternately you may purchase prepared scrubs such as OCuSoft or Systane Lid Wipes, or foams such as SteriLid. This will help clear away debris and clean the lid margins. [I cannot use baby shampoo, and found that OCuSoft works best, but everyone is different!]
                  • To maintain the cleanliness and health of your eyelids, perform the checked steps in the listed order and repeat this process 2-3 times a day or as otherwise directed by your eye care professional.
                  Again, let me emphasize that everyone is different, so individual needs will vary. The above came from the UC Berkeley School of Optometry.
                  Last edited by LaDiva; 17-Mar-2016, 14:57.

Comment

Thanks a lot LaDiva, I'll try that method and see if it works for me.

Comment

You are welcome Daniel! I hope that it helps. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I found a video (UC Berkeley School of Optometry) that demonstrates the pinching technique as to massage, though in the video there is no 'rolling' of the eyelid.

Comment

Working...
                        X