Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am DONE with warm compresses. I can't take it anymore - any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am DONE with warm compresses. I can't take it anymore - any suggestions?

I have MGD and possibly ocular rosacea. I've tried warm compresses on the advice of several Dr's over the years and EVERY SINGLE TIME, my eyes feel so much worse for at least a day or so afterward. I'm very careful to make sure the compresses don't exceed 40C/104F.

I've posted about this before and sound like a broken record, I know. But I'm scared. What is wrong with me?? Why does every doctor say this is the best treatment but it makes me WORSE?

I'm currently on FML drops and doxycycline (and also omega 3 supp's) I know the drops are short term but can the doxy be forever, if it helps me? I don't know what else to do. I have severe anxiety over this.

My eyes were feeling FINE before my latest Dr. visit. The only reason I went is because I could see the toothpaste-like secretions in a magnifying mirror and knew that wasn't healthy. The Dr. prescribed the FML and doxy and insisted that I do the warm compresses. So I gave it a few days on the drops and doxy, and did a warm compress last night for less than 5 minutes. BAM! Eyes in agony today.

Please, please help. Has anyone else been told they can use doxy forever? Because if that's my only option I'm afraid that's what I'll have to do.

I'm so upset.

Thank you.

Hi there

The problem with warm compresses is they are so easily done too hot, if you do it too hot it will bugger up ur eyes for a day or so and make them worse, i could be wrong but it sounds like your doing it possibly too hot. I think its very difficult to put a temp on it as everyone is different.

You should start really luke warm even if u think its not hot enough just do it anyway and u should notice it wont irritate ur eyes in the same way and even if the cloth is luke warm it should still get some of your oil moving and then after a few days of this maybe try it a touch warmer, eventually you will find a temp that doesnt irritate your eyes.

I have burnt the skin around my eyes so many times, once you do this you have to forget about it for a day or so then as whatever u do wont get it back

I could be wrong you coulld be just one of those people that cant tollerate this but hope my advice gives you something to go on

J

Comment

Thank you (again!). I know you responded to my other post too. This forum looked more active. Ok, I will try lukewarm. I was going off a study I read about that said their subjects used compresses heated to 40C/104F so that's what I was using. That actually doesn't FEEL very warm at all. Maybe I just need to go cooler.

Do you massage your eyelids after you do the compresses?

Thanks so much for your response.

Comment

Last edited by savino; 02-Sep-2016, 03:35.

Comment

Originally posted by savino View Post
          Do not put a wet washcloth on your eyelids. The warm/hot water will dry out your skin. You will end up 10 times worse. I've been there so many times. Pour warm or hot water in a plastic kitchen bag tie a knot and wrap a dry kitchen cloth around it so it's not too hot. Compress with that. Don't over do it.
          I will try that. And I'll use LUKEWARM water, as duckman suggests. Thank you so much.

Comment

Last edited by savino; 02-Sep-2016, 03:35.

Comment

the dishcloth thing doesnt work for me either but does for some people, personally i use a facial steamer and sit away from it with a towel over it

i got the idea from when i was clearing my nose when i had a bad cold and leaning over steaming my face and thought this might work for my eyes

I do massage my lids after but you have to be carful as your eyes are so sensative, i do the sweeping of hte finger across the lids but i try not to use too much pressure i just want to feel the oil is there and then leave it at that.

I have scratched my eye really badly doing it harder so be carful I also squeeze my lids between my fingers it just trial and error really and everyone is different so thigns that work for me might not you

J

Comment

Hi eyes78, I have the same problem with warm compresses. They always make my eyes worse no matter what I do, and every doctor I've seen has given me contradictory instructions: use a wet compress; use a dry compress; do it 3 times a day; don't do it more than once a day; vigorously massage your lids after; don't massage because it can cause keratoconus.

Comment

Hey, lots of echoes in here, but I've been the same. I end up in a cycle of not seeing any improvement, trying the warm compresses again (microwaved rice bag), 5-10 minutes later, my eyes are messed up for between 24 and 48 hours. Like you guys, I've been told it's the best thing I can do, but I'm not convinced. One thing I feel I should say in this thread is that I've heard on a few occasions that when starting a compress routine, it can get worse before it gets better because at the start, you end up releasing a lot of gunk that has been blocking the meibomians, into your eyes. I can't say how true this is. I know I tried for a good 3-4 days before I couldn't tolerate it anymore. For me, I'm still not on the right track, but I only do the compresses every once in a while. In between that, I let the warm shower run over my eyes for a while and then give my lids a massage. Guess I just wanted to say that you're very much not alone in not having much luck with the first line of treatment.

Comment

Hi, Im new,as far as warm compresses,i think I get too much oil in my eyes from them. They get filmy and blurry for hours after. My first eye doc said twice a day,second one said if I think I have too much oil just do once a day. Second doctor also said the lid expression can be over done. All I have been told is my upper lid margins were inflamed and I have some blocked glands from mgd,doc said my oil is a bit too thick. Not toothpaste consistency, just oily. My right eye is worse then my left. I was told my left eyelid now looks pretty good. I have blurry vision from this anyway, I cant stand the oily film from the compresses. Seems if I dont do them though i get a blocked gland thats noticeable. Do any of you use cold instead of warm for irritation and do any of you just do the warm every other day for maintenance? Thanks.

Comment

Everyone is different. I cannot live without warm compresses 3 times a day. Some people cannot use them at all. I've found the best thing to use is one of those plastic bags filled with little gel beads. It plasters down to the eye, and stays warm the duration. Not sure how anyone with MGD can not use warm compresses, as my oil glands become completely blocked when I do not do this. I also have ocular rosacea, so as with all things dry eye, it seems we are all so different. Some people swear by cold compresses, but then there is still that problem of moving the oil through the glands. Best of luck. I hope you find something that works for you.

Comment

My eyes feel worse the day I do warm compresses but if I don't do them for 2-3 days they start to feel dry and it's equally as bad. Maybe you need to do less time? What I'd been doing is just 5 mins of compresses with a warm cloth and it seems to be working, maybe it's placebo I'm wishfully hoping it seems to be going good.

I'd been using a facial steam and then right afterwards I'll go to my bathroom, turn on the spout with hot water and damping a small cloth , then I'll place it on my eyes for 5-6 mins. If it cold I'll redamp it in the hot water.

Comment

Originally posted by Klee View Post
                          Hi, Im new,as far as warm compresses,i think I get too much oil in my eyes from them. They get filmy and blurry for hours after. My first eye doc said twice a day,second one said if I think I have too much oil just do once a day. Second doctor also said the lid expression can be over done. All I have been told is my upper lid margins were inflamed and I have some blocked glands from mgd,doc said my oil is a bit too thick. Not toothpaste consistency, just oily. My right eye is worse then my left. I was told my left eyelid now looks pretty good. I have blurry vision from this anyway, I cant stand the oily film from the compresses. Seems if I dont do them though i get a blocked gland thats noticeable. Do any of you use cold instead of warm for irritation and do any of you just do the warm every other day for maintenance? Thanks.

I do warm compresses for maintaincene, mostly to follow instructions from the doctor so the glands don't get clogged up. I also do cold compresses for irritation. Yeah, the cold compresses seem to help me a lot.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I dont like doing the warm,have managed a few days without but then im back to needing them for the dry eye.

Comment

My doc has asked me to do twice a day for two weeks, once a day for a month and then every second day for the following 2 months. I am going to do it. It doesn't feel good, eyes hurt the next day, redder than ever, i see/feel zero oil, but I figure if I do everything exactly as he says by the time I see him in August I can be genuine when I say I'm not feeling better and that I've done everything that was asked of me.

Comment

Working...
                              X