Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you apply warm compresses and express the glands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you apply warm compresses and express the glands?

How often do you apply warm compresses followed by massage and expressions of the glands? Every day, once a week?

How severe is your case? And for how long have you been having MGD and treating it with warm compresses?

I'm wondering since I'm a bit worried I might overdo it. Perhaps every day was necessary when my glands where clogged. But now when the oil is more fluid I might just drain my glands and making it worse by warm compresses and expression every day.

I've had dry eye (and MGD) for almost 5 years now. Because the first ophthalmologist I saw didn't really know anything about MGD, I didn't start using a warm compress until about a year after my initial symptoms. Initially it gave me pretty good relief. But I wasn't consistent with using it, and when I starting using it again a few months later, it wasn't as effective.

That being said, I still try to use it every day. The more you use warm compresses, the less you have to get IPL or Lipiflow.
    What you need to know about computer-induced dry eye
    Dry Eye Survey
    IPL Doctors
    Probing Doctors

Comment

Hi NordicEyes

Based on personal experience and my research:

Purpose of warm compress is to get oil flowing. But the duration dr recommend are 4-15 min. which is confusing - such a big difference!!
      I think the key point is oil secretion feeling - but no idea HOW long is effective, some doctors say the more is better.
      I find Blephasteam/42C is the best for its safty and constant/wet heat (to remove debris, dusts etc).

How often: 2/day, wake up and before bedtime - for my half thick oil. Sometimes I do 2 extra for 5 min. - which I find good too.

massage: I squeeze as some doctors (including Dr Korb) recommend to sequeeze in order not to damage cornea.

I think if you feel great afterwards then you are on the right track, agree?

Last edited by MGD1701; 29-Jun-2017, 04:20.

Comment

Working...
      X