Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm Compress vs. Facial Steamer for MGD

I've been offline...not been doing well...eye wise

Which is more effective, Warm Compress vs. Facial Steamers?
    Are there any studies? Why are some saying steamers are better than warm compresses?

I'm very confused, in much pain, at breaking point. Please help me.

What steamer/sauna is recommended if it's more effective for MGD?

Or should warm compresses still be done & add facial steamers?
    When my eyes are at its worst, I tend to do desperate things, buy gimmick stuff, ect.

(I'll explain later in another post the stupid thing I did...I was so desperate...& why I've been off DEZ)

Links would be appreciated. Thanks

I am interested in any recommendations for an effective facial steamer/s too.
    Hey Almondiyz: what "stupid" thing did you do to try to alleviate your pain? Color me curious. In my desperation and search for relief, I have definitely fallen prey to various gimmicks, supplements, and alternative therapies... I mean, it doesn't hurt to try (well, actually sometimes it does!)

Comment

Originally posted by MGD666 View Post
      I am interested in any recommendations for an effective facial steamer/s too.
      Hey Almondiyz: what "stupid" thing did you do to try to alleviate your pain? Color me curious. In my desperation and search for relief, I have definitely fallen prey to various gimmicks, supplements, and alternative therapies... I mean, it doesn't hurt to try (well, actually sometimes it does!)
      I'm lucky I didn't LOSE MY EYESIGHT as a result of attempting to do what ONLY a ophthalmologist (only an ophthalmologist performs debridement aka exfoliation in my area).

Since more doctors started exfoliating the lid margin as a prep for Lipiflow, and also for some, not all, MGD patients, I decided without consulting my ophthalmologist that I would start my Do-It-Yourself (DIY) by using a Q-tip with my OcuSoft Lid Scrub. That name even pi$$es me off...SCRUB...because we're not supposed to scrub!

Anyway, yes, the DIY Q-tip exfoliation was irritating to the lid margin, but kept using it until my 'special order' arrived in the mail. The DIY Q-tip exfoliation was a bad idea, but, I was stupid enough to buy a medical tool...yes, online, I'm sure illegally sold...because these 'tools' are DANGEROUS & only used by professionals. Even the doctors wear those little magnifying goggles when they use them or maybe a slit lamp(?)

I used the 'tool' to exfoliate my lid margins. Didn't realize how much damage I was actually doing. I had NO IDEA. I thought it was just irritation, inflammation, increased blood supply since my MGD is severe where the appearance of the gland area are normally thick yellow/white 'tracks.'

I didn't know when to stop since I thought I was not 'performing' the exfoliation as aggressively as an ophthalmologist, plus I didn't see anything (cells) on the 'tool.' I used the 'tool' every day for almost a week.

My eyes lid margins were getting more inflamed, woke up one day, eyes swollen shut from swelling, dry crusts that had to be soaked off because they 'glued' my eyelashes together, in severe pain with infectious type active discharge still present after crusts removed. (I was already waking up with bits of dry crusts, believing, rather trying to convince myself that it was dried secretions of oil.)

I was seen immediately when my husband called my ophthalmologist. She ended up calling in a more experienced ophthalmologist to assist her with the exam. I ended up with scar tissue, completely blocking my meibomian glands & an infection that consisted of MULTIPLE strains of bacteria.

I had a surgical debridement ( surgical because the infected tissue had to be removed), inpatient stay since I had to have intravenous (IV) antibiotics as well as topical. Both my eyes had to be bandaged shut, flushed/cleansed every 8 hours. I was already in isolation because one of the critters was Staph & they knew where this was probably heading.

After 78 hours of not responding to IV antibiotics whatsoever, I was diagnosed with Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). If anyone knows the seriousness of MRSA, it can lead to necrotizing fasciitis aka flesh eating bacteria.

I could have lost sight in both eyes, or worse. My eyes are more sensitive than before my desperate stupid choice.

That's why I asked about the facial steamer. My ophthalmologist suggested I find one yet didn't recommend a specific type except an example of what a facial steamer is something like the one's used in-spa, not one of those $20.00 ones sold at Walmart, ect.
      The reasoning for a facial steamer is it’s 'cleaner' than reusing warm compresses. Facial steamers, even in-spa types aren’t considered sterile, nothing is absolutely sterile. For now, I have had made a rice baggies for one time use. I have to use thick sterile gauze over each eye before the microwave heated baggies.

Comment

Oh goodness Almondiyz, I'm so glad your sight wasn't effected. I was concerned when a member on here made a few posts about MG forceps he had bought to do at home expression, they are not meant to be sold to non-professionals for a reason, understand your desperation of course. Must of been such a horrible experience for you

I was wondering if you had considered Blephasteam goggles? I use them because my ocular rosacea makes my eyelids more sensitive to direct heat from the compresses. This thread has a lot of info about them http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...asteam-goggles. Sorry I don't know more about facial steamers, can't use them because they would make my facial rosacea worse.

Hoping your eyes settle down a bit soon.

Comment

Almondiyz, thanks so much for sharing about that. Awfully sorry for what happened to you. Appreciate your sharing and hope everyone will take the caution seriously.

I think everyone should have a very, very clear line in their minds between the medical side of dry eye and the 'consumer' side - the symptom management and self-care that can be rationally and SAFELY done at home. If you see discussions in this forum about people buying professional medical tools for use at home, please flag the thread so it can be moderated (little exclamation point/triangle thing below the post). You just do not know who might be harmed by reading these things and going home and doing something stupid that seems smart at the time. Pain is very motivating, not always in a good way.

With lid "scrubs" (and like you I hate that term! very misleading!) and heat treatments there is a lot of room for error ESPECIALLY in over-doing things. My motto for lids is always 'less is more'. The tissues of the eyelids really are quite delicate. Messing about with them too much is just not a good thing. If the dr's not doing a good enough job, we need to find another doctor who is more of an expert in MGD, not try to become the expert ourselves.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by lizlou29 View Post
            Oh goodness Almondiyz, I'm so glad your sight wasn't effected. I was concerned when a member on here made a few posts about MG forceps he had bought to do at home expression, they are not meant to be sold to non-professionals for a reason, understand your desperation of course. Must of been such a horrible experience for you

I was wondering if you had considered Blephasteam goggles? I use them because my ocular rosacea makes my eyelids more sensitive to direct heat from the compresses. This thread has a lot of info about them http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...asteam-goggles. Sorry I don't know more about facial steamers, can't use them because they would make my facial rosacea worse.

Hoping your eyes settle down a bit soon.
            Thanks Lizlou, I hope so too.

I have Subtype 1 Facial and also have Ocular Rosacea.I asked about the the Blephasteam goggles for the same reason, which my ophthalmologists (plural!) wouldn't recommend. It's NOT for everyone.

It's also sold by unofficial vendors online.
            I believe it is/was a prescription required device? <---WARNING a device that was created to be a prescription required medical treatment Sold Online!

The facial steamer I need to find is one that directs steam only to very small areas. The type of steamer, I would have to move my face side to side to do one eye at a time.

I can't 'wear' the one time use homemade rice baggies in the normal way anymore because of potential damage to my corneas. I can't have any pressure/weight of a simple rice baggy against my eyeballs!

I have to sit in a chair with my face down towards my knees, hold the baggy near my eyes, so that the heat rises up, yet the baggy can't touch my skin, I have taped on sterile gauze over both eyes, a big bath towel over my head to help keep the heat contained.

I asked about the old fashioned way of a bowl of hot steaming water on a table top with a towel over my head...nope.

I have to buy a facial steamer with a small direct area specific 'target' because when my facial rosacea flares-up, it always affects my eyes. It's odd that I can have an ocular rosacea flare-up yet it doesn't trigger my facial condition.

I thought I'd ask about Facial Steamers because I'm sure some on DEZ have gotten facials at salons & have the steam treatment...since I'm looking for something similar.

Comment

O boy...what tool did you use ?

Comment

Strange as I've had the goggles recommended to me by two ophthalmologists. We can never get a consensus on these things it seems! They aren't prescription.

It's bugging me as there is a man on the forum who had an attachment for a facial sauna for the eyes. Hope he chimes in as really can't remember name!

Comment

Oh gosh, Almondiyz, I hope you're on the mend. From Dr. Korb's video, he explains how he stains the lid margin using lissamine green. It must be stained lissamine green to see the material that is devitalized (dead) and rough. He very carefully swipes (no sharp tools), making sure not to draw blood. And he says that he only performs debridement every 3 months on people!

Lizlou - are you thinking of the Panasonic Eye Steamer? http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ight=panasonic

Comment

I am still very curious about this Panasonic unit. Has anyone here actually used this? Would love to hear about it if so. From the photos in the link, I am not sure what to make of the rubber (?) frame edges that go against your face - is that actually supposed to provide a suction or seal and hold it in place (hands-free)?

Almondiyz - did you use a mastrota paddle? So sorry to hear about the hell you have gone through as a result of trying. I was also very seriously considering getting one and attempting to do my own expressions/debridement. Glad I did not!

Korb did his lid margin debridement on me earlier this year, and it was great, but the positive effects were, unfortunately for me, short-lived. I wish I could find someone closer to me (Pacific Northwest) who had the same skill and experience.
                    Last edited by MGD666; 23-Jul-2014, 11:01.

Comment

I am glad I came across this thread as I was very confused about the word scrub and have been using my blephaclean wipes to scrub my eye lashes and sometimes along lid margin, only been doing this a couple of days, what a silly name, do you think I could have caused any damage?

My eyes on the outside have been more sore than ever today and it's probably from overdoing it with the old hot compress and standing under shower for too long, my eyes felt numb I stood under the shower for that long today! I think I will do one hot compress a day.

Almondiyz I'm glad you're ok, thanks for sharing your experience, makes me think we could do with a mishaps thread! What not to do kind of thing, I learnt today that if you find an eye drop that suits you don't start messing trying others, like gels, totally destabilised my tear film for whole evening, thought I'd regressed by about 2 months!

Less is definitely more

Cath x

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                      Almondiyz, thanks so much for sharing about that. Awfully sorry for what happened to you. Appreciate your sharing and hope everyone will take the caution seriously.

I think everyone should have a very, very clear line in their minds between the medical side of dry eye and the 'consumer' side - the symptom management and self-care that can be rationally and SAFELY done at home. If you see discussions in this forum about people buying professional medical tools for use at home, please flag the thread so it can be moderated (little exclamation point/triangle thing below the post). You just do not know who might be harmed by reading these things and going home and doing something stupid that seems smart at the time. Pain is very motivating, not always in a good way.

With lid "scrubs" (and like you I hate that term! very misleading!) and heat treatments there is a lot of room for error ESPECIALLY in over-doing things. My motto for lids is always 'less is more'. The tissues of the eyelids really are quite delicate. Messing about with them too much is just not a good thing. If the dr's not doing a good enough job, we need to find another doctor who is more of an expert in MGD, not try to become the expert ourselves.
                      27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

Originally posted by cathy8889 View Post
                        I learnt today that if you find an eye drop that suits you don't start messing trying others, like gels, totally destabilised my tear film for whole evening, thought I'd regressed by about 2 months!

Less is definitely more
                        Cathy, Oh I didn't know that messing with others will destabilise the tear film and I think you are right. I have been trying different OTC eye drops and making my eyes so confused. Ok, am staying put with one now ....

Regarding warm compress, currently I am using rice baggy. It seems like I cannot do more than once and must be real low heat.

Hi Almondiyz,
                        Hope your eyes are better now and many thanks for sharing. Please take care.

Comment

Hi Cath

I agree with what has been said about the term 'scrub'' - it certainly implies the act of rubbing or some kind of abrasive action. Consultants can send out confused messages about this; in the past I have been told that I didn't clean the lids enough whilst others said I did it too much.

When my eyes are feeling really awful, I tend to want to overdo things but it is always to my cost. What Rebecca said about less being more is true in my case. I have started using a solution of (cool) boiled water and salt - just splashing it on my eyes and then dabbing them dry. I still use products like Blephacre or Supranettes but sparingly.

Comment

Hi tealeaf, I've realised since writing my last post on this thread I've changed my mind once again about warm compress! I'm doing it 4-5 times now as said in another post, but only low heat.

That's what I think happened when I put new drops in, my eyes can only handle water like drops. I'm sticking with vismed now and not trying any others. The last oph I saw said try systane ultra single dose but it worries me as systane products have never agreed with me.
                            Best wishes

Originally posted by tealeaf View Post
                            Cathy, Oh I didn't know that messing with others will destabilise the tear film and I think you are right. I have been trying different OTC eye drops and making my eyes so confused. Ok, am staying put with one now ....

Regarding warm compress, currently I am using rice baggy. It seems like I cannot do more than once and must be real low heat.

Hi Almondiyz,
                            Hope your eyes are better now and many thanks for sharing. Please take care.
                            27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

Working...
                            X