Can steaming the eyes increase dryness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can steaming the eyes increase dryness

For a period I was steaming my eyes (via conventional steaming i.e. dish of boiling water with a towel retain the steam) each morning. Mainly, to clean out the drops from the night before but also because I've read that other members on the forum do steaming of the eyes either via Blephasteam or regular conventional steaming.

Then recently I stopped doing the streaming. I felt that the steam seemed to dry out the eye of any good moisture which was there.

Could it be the case that steaming daily is not recommended. Also perhaps the duration of the steaming session should be kept short?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I haven't tried that method of steaming but I would point out that the Blephasteam goggles are timed to give a ten minute session; also the 'steam' you get from them isn't that noticeable, it's more of a very slightly moist heat. However sometimes my eyes do feel a bit dry after using them - I think it's because I don't respond particularly well to any kind of warm compresses. Sometimes they help a little, however.

Comment

I guess the Blephasteam deliver a similar amount to a dish of hot water. As the steam is quite gentle. However that is great to know that they mention 10 minutes. Perhaps there is good reason for this. Personally, I do the stream for 2-3 minutes max.

Comment

If steam is too hot or compresses are long (and it seems to vary from person to person) they can create a type of short term inflammation. There was some article written by an ophthalmologist that I read that stated that when doing compresses, to follow it up with a cool compress to calm down any inflammatory cells that could have been excited by the heat. I'm paraphrasing, but it was something along that vein.

Personally, hot showers work better for me. The heat isn't directly on your lids, but you get the steaming effect. Washing/rinsing my face with warm water for about 5 minutes or so also seems to be more gentle/tolerable than compresses. It's a very individual thing, I guess.

Comment

I've found myself availing of hot showers to achieve the same affect. Towards the end of the shower I increase the temperature of the water to hot and decrease the pressure. I then 'wave' the shower over the eyes for about 20-30 seconds. But you are correct. Each person has their own methods.

Comment

I've also felt that steam causes more dryness. I don't steam but when I shower or do warm compresses with a wet towel I feel as though my eyes are drier. Thus, I only do it for 1-2 minutes tops. Followed by brief massaging of the lids. And although the compresses make my eyes dry, I do them anyway since it's supposed to be beneficial and I do get some kind of immediate relief (first 5-10 minutes)

Comment

Me too! I'm finding that steam and warm compresses are initially helpful (and soothing to some extent), but like most drops, unfortunately this is short-lived relief in my case. On a related note, I find that using unpreserved saline Unisol 4 feels nice on the eyes at first, but mine seems to end up feeling as dry, or even drier, than prior to using it.
              In fact, the only drop, gel, or ointment that seems to provide any kind of lasting relief (beyond 5 minutes that is) for me is Genteal Severe Dry Eye Gel, and castor oil. The Aqua Sphere "Seal" swimming mask I picked up recently though has helped quite bit in regard to providing comfort (the trade off being that it is not exactly comfortable, but certainly better than any other swimming-type goggle). Very eager to try the Eyeeco's new "Eyeseals" mask for sleeping. Hey Rebecca, how's that working out for you?

Comment

Working...
              X