Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could warm compresses be making it worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could warm compresses be making it worse?

For some reason everytime I apply warm compresses (10-15 mins) I actually feel worse afterwars than before. So much that I cannot do this compresses routine in the morning/evening because I will mess up my eyes for the rest of the day, I have to do it right before going to bed to follow what my doctor told me to do.

I know it's illogical since it's suppose to evaporate the clogs in the glands so that the gool oil come out but can it be possible that it's evaporating too those oils? I know for most people it actually helps a lot so I'm wondering if I'm the only one that it happens too.

Originally posted by Daniel2 View Post
    For some reason everytime I apply warm compresses (10-15 mins) I actually feel worse afterwars than before. So much that I cannot do this compresses routine in the morning/evening because I will mess up my eyes for the rest of the day, I have to do it right before going to bed to follow what my doctor told me to do.

I know it's illogical since it's suppose to evaporate the clogs in the glands so that the gool oil come out but can it be possible that it's evaporating too those oils? I know for most people it actually helps a lot so I'm wondering if I'm the only one that it happens too.
    Do you have issues with your meibomian glands? I've been told the blephasteam or just making your own steam is works for some people who cant do warm compress.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD30 View Post
      Do you have issues with your meibomian glands? I've been told the blephasteam or just making your own steam is works for some people who cant do warm compress.
      Yeah, i have MGD. Do you mean steam like in a Sauna?

Comment

Daniel this happens to me as well. A few years ago I switched to cold compress in the morning (when my eyes feel the worst) and I will do a warm compress 2-3 times a week at night. I was the exact same way as you for several years, I would do a warm compress in the morning and my eyes would feel like crap all day at school and it was driving me crazy. The cold compress in the morning definitely works better for me and keeps the burning down a bit. I hope this helps.

Comment

I'm also for cold compresses, try it if your eyes dont feel well after warm compresses...

Comment

Yeah, i have MGD. Do you mean steam like in a Sauna?
            I was referring to boiling some water or some tea (take them off the stove) and holding your eyes, closed, above the steam. I try to use a sauna regularly although I dont know if your glands get hot enough. I do feel great while I'm in there.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I'll try cold compresses.

By the way, I been doing some research and found the Blephasteam goggles, which is similar to warm compresses but it's hot vapor. Anyone has any experience with it? Though the cost is insanely high.

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blephasteam-Goggles-for-Dry-Eye/dp/B00ARUI3WK[/url

Apparently it treats mild MGD and blepharitis, Im not sure about Moderate-severe MGD.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD30 View Post
                I was referring to boiling some water or some tea (take them off the stove) and holding your eyes, closed, above the steam. I try to use a sauna regularly although I dont know if your glands get hot enough. I do feel great while I'm in there.
                Would this work in opening up the glands too(so I can replace compresses by this method altogether) or it's just for relief?
                I'll definately try it out though.
                thanks for the help

Comment

Would this work in opening up the glands too(so I can replace compresses by this method altogether) or it's just for relief?
                  I'll definately try it out though.
                  thanks for the help
                  It will still heat the oil in your glands just not as well as the compress. You could do expressions after for an additional aid. An academic journal article I read stated that the the worse your glands are the greater the temperature needs to be in order to desolidify them. So it varies from person to person if they would be able to use a different method. It seems that you dont have a choice though if your are getting pain.

You should try making steam yourself and see how it works before investing in the Blephasteam since its so expensive.

Comment

Yeah ill try doing that.

Comment

I considered the whole warm compress thing being not helpful for a while as well. But when you consider the evidence and proven theory, it does make sense. If the glands are blocked by solidified oils, heating them and massage should help. However, heat will cause some burning/stinging as it will cause some immediate inflammation.

I think you should do the warm compress with an appropriate heat, I do an eye bag for 30-40 secs in a 900W microwave and leave on for 5 mins, then do a form of massage.

Comment

Are you sure your glands are blocked? There is a type of mgd where the glands are open but just not producing enough / no oil, which can make the eyes feel a bit dryer after the hot mask, it's still recommend to use them however as it prevents the glands getting blocked and encourages oil production.
                        I find using the shower on my eyes (along with the steam) is an ideal solution in the morning, and easy to fit into a quick morning routine.
                        People have recovered, so can we.
                        www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Apparently they were blocked before but my doctor said that they are unblocked now because I had been doing the warm compresses. But what's funny is that back then I feel better than now. I have around 14 glands opened in both eyes now but I cannot even open my eyes some days because of the burning and can't study. The inflamation too is under control because I'm eating a healthy diet and anti-inflamattory food every day...But I just feel awful and feel worse every week and had been in a downspiral for over 2 years with this problem, so this routine of compresses/omega 3 isn't really working. (I also had to invest in getting Lipiflow and felt no difference)

Apparently the quality of the tear film is my main problem, and I dont know what to do to improve it. But I'll try switching from hot compresses to steam as someone in here recommended.

-daniel

Comment

Working...
                          X