Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scrubbing, Hot Compressing...there's just too many ways of doing it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mspirk
    I put a washcloth rinsed in very warm water and rung out in the microwave for about 18 minutes (1,000 watt oven), drop it in a ziptop baggie, put a double or triple thickness of a moistened paper towel over the outside of the baggie, and lightly press it to my eyes for about four minutes. After removing the baggie from my eyes, I gently press up on the lower lid with my fingers toward my eyeball to help express the oils. This method works for me.
    Someone on this thread said that 18 minutes was a long time to microwave a wet washcloth, and I realized that it was me who had posted the 18-minute comment. I meant to put 18 SECONDS! D'uhhh! Hope no one took me seriously!!

Comment

Well I've recovered from the 3rd degree burns on my face after mspirk recommended I heat my compress for 18 minutes (mspirk I hope you have a good attorney) and have been trying compresses with the Bed Buddy Sinus Pack for the past several days. It's worked pretty well, and I've been surprised that it still continues to emit moist heat, which has to be better for the eyes than dry heat, right?

My only complaint is that it's kinda large, so it ends up heating up about half my face which I don't like. I was thinking of cutting it in half and making it into two smaller bags I can just put over my eyes, but couldn't think of a good way to re-close them since I don't sew (and no mspirk, I will not use staples since it goes in the microwave, but nice try). Anyone out there have a creative way to close up the fabric?

Anyhow, so I went out and bought a smaller gel eye pack that I've only used once, but I think I will end up liking more. It fits just over the eyes with a small strip attaching them, and only has to be heated for 10 seconds.

I've been doing compresses 4x per day, but will soon drop to maintenance phase with 1-2 per day. I really think it has helped my eyes, although it's probably to early to say for sure.

I'm sure reading this saga rates just above watching paint dry but getting my meibomian glands up and kicking is my new dry eye obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by Flick
        My only complaint is that it's kinda large, so it ends up heating up about half my face which I don't like.
        I know what you're saying about the size of it. What I usually do is to turn the thing upside down. That way the heat is still getting to my eyes, but the rest of the pack is warming up my forehead instead of the area below my eyes. Of course, the pack is still as large as ever, but I find this less annoying than to use it in the regular position. Maybe you'll find it less annoying, too.

Randal

Comment

rice baggy

I'm with Rebecca and Lucy. Rice baggie is easy. I use a freshly washed terry cloth sock, partially fill with rice and tie off the end. After zapping it in the microwave for a minute or so, I wrap it in a clean cloth (towel or cloth napkin). The heat transfers. It's good for about 15 minutes. I switch to a newly washed cloth every week. I make a new rice baggie every couple of months.

Flick, you can make it any size depending on the size of the sock and how much rice you put in the sock.

fernellen

Comment

heat wraps

Maybe worth a mention...ThermaCare heatwraps..The neck -arm wrap size is just like a eye wrap..with the heat encircling eyeball and none in the center...They are sold iin a 3 pack and last for 8 hours...They are air activated and warm up immediately and last all nite..if too warm I use over a wash cloth..great for traveling and sold at most drug stores..and even my local grocery store

Comment

Working...
            X