Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it okay to gently massage lids when not doing compresses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it okay to gently massage lids when not doing compresses?

I have found that when I run my index finger across my lids about once or twice a day when I feel the oil "building up", I get that blurry vision from the oil releasing. I can actually feel the oil release (it feels cool in temperature and oily) and it makes my eyes feel better.

I know that it is recommended by some MD's to run your index finger across the eyelid intermittenly while doing warm compresses. However, I don't know if it's okay to do it once in a while when you are not doing warm compresses. Just want to feel comfortable that I am helping and not hurting my dry eyes. When I run my finger across my dry lids, it is a relatively gentle eyelid "massage" that seems to release the oils. Most of the oil and massage is done on the upper lids since this is where it seems to feel best with the most oil release.

I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this question. If not, I suppose I'll just ask my MD the next time I see him (although that's about a month away). Thanks.
    Last edited by YGB; 09-Jan-2007, 09:52.

Can't imagine why that would be a problem...just wash your hands first.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

i though oil is made on the lower eyelid and tears is made from (or above) the upper eye lid????
      so how come wen u massage the UPPER eyelid u get blurry vision and u fink its the oil????

but i tried massage the upper one and yep i do get blurry vision ...but still ...i fink mayB its because wen u put a small presure on the eye, its get blurry for a small time....and its not the oil?/.....am i wrong?
      If I have to choose between being happy and sad, I''ll choose being happy....... and you?... so.... stop choosing being unhappy (yeah its hard but....)....stop depressing........ live!!!

Comment

There are oil glands (meibomian glands) in both the lower and the upper lids. Often heat treatment and lid massage are focused on the upper ones which are easier to get at and express.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by dianat
          just wash your hands first.
          It's official. Diana really is a MOM .

Comment

Are you mocking me?! How dare you mock me! Go to you room, young man.
            Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
            X