Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding different heat packs

Hi all,
    I have been using a warm/hot gel pack on my eyes for years. I do get blurry vision after doing so but have not found any great improvement in my eyes. The glands are still blocked in my eyelids and painful.
    Does the rice baggy do a more effective job of unclogging things?. Also, I don't have a microwave so could it be warmed in the oven, or is this too risky?.
    I'm so sick and tired of not being able to unclog the glands. My eye doctor tried to do it one time and nothing came out!.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    Elaine

hi ilane
    well i fink u really need to do rice compress although i didn't do it because there a lots of step to create a good one....i instead use iron facial steaming..it works i fink because my face is not only wet but hot and wen i touch my eye lid i feel it is a bit hot too....so i fink its ok to unclog MG wit it..... ....

but hey how do u kno ur MG is blogg? u do get blurry vision, so how u kno its block??
    If I have to choose between being happy and sad, I''ll choose being happy....... and you?... so.... stop choosing being unhappy (yeah its hard but....)....stop depressing........ live!!!

Comment

Originally posted by laine
      Hi all,
      I have been using a warm/hot gel pack on my eyes for years. I do get blurry vision after doing so but have not found any great improvement in my eyes. The glands are still blocked in my eyelids and painful.
      Does the rice baggy do a more effective job of unclogging things?. Also, I don't have a microwave so could it be warmed in the oven, or is this too risky?.
      I'm so sick and tired of not being able to unclog the glands. My eye doctor tried to do it one time and nothing came out!.
      Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
      Elaine
      I've personally found a rice baggy more effective than anything else. Not sure about the oven warming but may be worth a try.

Does anybody happen to know if EyeFeel is available again yet?
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

For MikaStef

I have been told that my meiobian glands are blocked but I can also tell myself. The lid lines are thick and I have painful little bumps above the lashline. If I run my fingernail along the edges of my eyelids it is painful and I can feel the bumps. It is also painful when I clean along the lashline with a Q-tip.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by laine
          The lid lines are thick and I have painful little bumps above the lashline. If I run my fingernail along the edges of my eyelids it is painful and I can feel the bumps. It is also painful when I clean along the lashline with a Q-tip.
          I do not normally get bumps BUT I have had exactly what you describe in my upper eyelids several times in the last 6 months. Sorry because I know I get really boring singing from my ricebag songbook but that is the only thing I have found that clears this up for me. (I only started getting them after neglecting to use heat or lid scrubs for awhile when my eyes were feeling better.) I will try to experiment a little with the self-heating Thermoeyes and see how it goes, since this would be a microwave-free option.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

Sorry, if this is answered elsewhere, but is there a website or place to buy the rice bags or is this still something we have to make ourselves?

Thanks so much!

Judy

Comment

My version of rice bags are the easiest things in the world to make. Buy a box of knee-hi stockings. I buy L'eggs Everday knee highs, 10 pair to a box for $5.99. Buy a bag of long grain rice. Put about 1/2 cup of uncooked rice in a single knee high and tie it off with a knot to keep the rice from falling out. Experiment a little with the amount of rice and tying the stocking off at different lengths until you find what works best and is the most comfortable (not too heavy) for you. Put in the microwave on high for 20 seconds to start. Keep nuking until it's warm enough.

Easy, cheap and you get 20 rice baggies. Use one for as long as you want and then toss it out. They work great cold from the freezer also if you're into cold compresses.
              Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Thank you Cindy! If I can't do the rice bags following your detailed instructions, that would be pretty sad, right? I've heard if you put a cup of water in the microwave, this helps too. Do you do this?

Thanks again, I plan to do exactly as you do!

Judy

Comment

I wrap my hot rice bag in a wet washcloth. That way I get moist heat and sometimes when I nuke the baggie too much and it gets too hot - the washcloth absorbs some of the heat.

-Lori

Comment

Cindy,

thanks so much for describing this...I just made my own rice baggy, dry heat (instead of the dripping hot washcloth) felt so less irritating!

PS. I filled mine with Basmati rice. It not only feels wonderful but also smells yummy as well!

Comment

So here is another silly question,

Where do you store your rice baggies while not in use?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Judy

Comment

Boiled eggs

To the guy without a microwave, I've heard of boiled eggs being used.

Charmee

Comment

by Judy:
                          Where do you store your rice baggies while not in use?
                          I'd tell you but then I'd have to ...well, you know.

Judy, your question is really pretty funny to me because I make a point of hiding my rice baggy. If I don't, someone else will invariably use it - or say they did when they didn't really, play toss with it, invent ways to torment me with it to see how long it will take me to make a new one. I live with a bunch of twits . But since they never read this site, I'll tell you where it is.

I keep it in a clean Detroit Zoo coffee mug on the top shelf in the cupboard over the microwave.

In other words, I try to keep it reasonably clean and 'put away' between uses.
                          Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Hi Cindy,

Too funny!!! Actually, it is kind of an embarrassment at times having all these "wierd" things we do to try and keep our eyes more comfortable, you know? Anyway, where can I get a Detroit zoo coffee cup? Kidding!!! I guess for some reason, I was thinking one might want to store this in the refrigerator; now that would make it really difficult to hide!!

Thanks for sharing your "SECRET" with all of your dry eye buds! Have a great week, Cindy!!

Comment

Working...
                            X