This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filmy Vision After Several Warm Compresses

Yesterday I used warm compresses on both eyes (one at a time, though). Whenever I used a compress on my right eye, it seemed to express some oil but not much. I expected this, as my right eye doesn't give me nearly as much trouble as my left; I've always assumed this meant the oil glands around my right eye are not clogged and therefore are working properly.

The problem is with my left eye. After I used a warm compress, my vision got very filmy. I'm guessing this is from the sudden expression of oil as the result of the compress. This makes sense to me. What does not make sense is that this happened every single time I used a warm compress on my left eye -- four or five different times yesterday. Every time this filminess manifested itself, I kept thinking, "Man, how much oil is backed up in there?" That is, I thought that at some point the well would run dry, so to speak.

Any thought on this? Has anybody else had a similar experience?

Also, one more question, please: Does anyone else find that they may be sensitive (allergic?) to their own oils? Whenever I express my oil glands after using warm compresses, my eyes and eyelid margins become very itchy and red. This could possibly be related to the heat of the compresses, but as these symptoms are so much more pronounced with my left eye, which releases much more oil, I'm thinking that it must be related to the oil itself.

Any ideas about this?

Thanks.

Randal

I only do compresses once per day, but my vision is filmy on both sides afterward, which I attribute to oil expression. After a few minutes, it clears.

I originally was microwaving my rice baggy for 30 seconds. (I have an 1100 watt microwave.) It felt fine on my eyes, but I noticed my eyelids and cheeks were bright red afterward. I backed the time down to 20 seconds, and it works much better. I still get oil expression, but without irritating my skin. You might try this to see if your itchy skin is a reaction to too much heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Terri
      I only do compresses once per day, but my vision is filmy on both sides afterward, which I attribute to oil expression. After a few minutes, it clears.

I originally was microwaving my rice baggy for 30 seconds. (I have an 1100 watt microwave.) It felt fine on my eyes, but I noticed my eyelids and cheeks were bright red afterward. I backed the time down to 20 seconds, and it works much better. I still get oil expression, but without irritating my skin. You might try this to see if your itchy skin is a reaction to too much heat.
      Terri, I will try your suggestion of reducing the microwave time. It may very well help. I still find it noteworthy, though, that the irritation is only from the same eye that has the filmy vision after the compress. It might be a coincidence; we'll see.

Thanks again.

Randal

Comment

Originally posted by Randal
        Also, one more question, please: Does anyone else find that they may be sensitive (allergic?) to their own oils? Whenever I express my oil glands after using warm compresses, my eyes and eyelid margins become very itchy and red.
        Hey Randal,
        I remember reading in Dr. Latkany's book that he recommends wiping the oils from the lid margin after expressing the oils (with Q-tip). Then he says to use a full vial of PF drops and rinse out the eyes thoroughly. It's supposed to clear out the old oils and dead cells, and irritants that resulted from the expression. I've been trying this for about a week, and it really helps. My eyes tend to get really irritated from my own tears, too.

Calli

Comment

Originally posted by calli66
          Hey Randal,
          I remember reading in Dr. Latkany's book that he recommends wiping the oils from the lid margin after expressing the oils (with Q-tip). Then he says to use a full vial of PF drops and rinse out the eyes thoroughly. It's supposed to clear out the old oils and dead cells, and irritants that resulted from the expression. I've been trying this for about a week, and it really helps. My eyes tend to get really irritated from my own tears, too.

Calli
          Calli, thank you so much for the reminder. I also have Dr. Latkany's book, but I totally forgot about the Q-tip suggestion. I'll give that a try.

Thanks.

Randal

Comment

That happens to me too. The expression of those glands seem to cause temporary irritation. I do a shampoo eyelash scrub immediately after and it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jade9923
              That happens to me too. The expression of those glands seem to cause temporary irritation. I do a shampoo eyelash scrub immediately after and it helps.
              Great idea! I'm now wondering why I hadn't thought of it: it seems so obvious.

Thanks.

Randal

Comment

I get the filmy vision every time. Makes me want to quit the compresses. Mine lasts for hours.

Comment

Working...
                X