EyeFeel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EyeFeel

Has anyone here had experience with the EyeFeel ophthalmic warmer, a disposable hot compress device?

There seem to be some excellent clinical results documented in LASIK patients specifically.

My own preferred hot compress method is the old rice baggy in the microwave, however, I was recently reminded that this can pose dangers if not used with extreme care as just a little too much microwaving could cause severe eyelid & eye injuries. So a safer device on the market would be a good thing provided of course it gives results. Even for those like me who have a good at-home method it might be useful to have something more portable for work, travel, etc.

If anyone has personal experience with it, do tell!
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Over a year ago, on another bulletin board, a poster mentioned Dr. Tseng (www.ocularsurface.com) was doing a free clinical trial on post-LASIK dry eye. The trial involved use of this very EyeFeel product.

When opened, chemicals in within the EyeFeel mask heat up. It is a 'hot pack' for treating things like mgd.

The FDA told Dr. Tseng's Bio-Lipid company they were free to market it. See http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf2/k021843.pdf

Comment

I tried this product myself today. I've only used one, but so far I really like it! It definitely seems to generate enough heat and for long enough to be useful.

I think that as a minimum this has a strong potential as a useful supplement even for us hot compress "coinnoisseurs". You could take a handful on a trip, take one to work, etc. so that you can get some heat on your eyes at times when other methods (microwave, hot washcloth etc) would be impossible or at least very inconvenient.

So, so far, thumbs up, you may want to check it out.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

This sounds very interesting. Warm compresses can get quite messy, are time consuming, and in my case the water tends to dry my skin out around the eye, you also need a constant supply of clean face cloths. Rice bags can get v hot, and stink.

Having now looked at the picture they seem quite large and would be expensive to keep buying and throwing away. Having read how they work I can tell you you could get exactly the same effect but far less expensively by buying golf pocket hand warmers. These small tea bag size sachets contain the same stuff that when shaken remain warm for ages. They are actually pretty hot so could work well. In fact i'm off to the golf club now to get some, will let you know if they work. see this link to see what im talkin about (willis): www.store-shop.com/hand_warmers.html
        Last edited by markL; 07-Aug-2005, 03:40.

Comment

Originally posted by markL
          Having now looked at the picture they seem quite large
          Actually they're not large. The photo shows an eye mask presumably containing an insert. It was the only picture I could get but I'll try to get one of just the EyeFeel itself. They come in little foil pouches, very light and compact.

Will be interested to hear how the golf thingies work out - let us know!
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

If you read carefully, the golf thingies sound good. But, further down the line,

And when you get home, you simply put the hand warmer in boiling water and it recharges, reusable, ready for next time.
            This is a royal pain. You have to get a pot of water boiling and then CAREFULLY boil the thingies for just the exact amount of time lest they melt or if they hit the side of the pan, they melt.

When they cool, they are hard as rocks and heavy (comparative to size). It wouldn't hurt to try, but these things are not at the ready as you need them. Only if you've done the boiling process to melt them down between uses. One use per boil. Forgive me if I'm wrong on any of this. I am not looking carefully at the ad.

Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I like the idea of the product Rebecca is discussing because I find items of convenience helpful when I travel. We all know what a hassel it is to travel with this handicap of ours. Last hotel I went to my husband was a sport and ran down to the hotel lobby twice a day with my rice bag. I'm certain there's nothing sanitary about putting a cruddy rice bag into a vessel where food is prepared, but we did it anyway.

Still, regarding these chemically heated things...does anybody else worry about putting some unknown chemical near their eyes? I'm so weird about hairsprays, certain drops, swimming pool water and other highly chemical items that even something dry like these ophthalmic warmers make me nervous. For all I know they absorb moisture like kitty litter.

Just my two cents worth on a slow Sunday.
              Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Diana, you little tree-hugger.

Diana, you are afraid of all the chemicals after we've put all this other shi* in our eyes? Restasis ...which is cyclosporin.

Just giving you a hard time on a slow Sunday.

EYE WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT EYEFEEL TO SEE IF IT'S WHAT EYE WANT.

The golf thing is nothing but a hard lump of plastic after one use. Then it has to go into a boiling pot for renewal. If you think going to a microwave for 2 minutes is a pain, try boiling water and getting this plastic in and out without melting it.
                Last edited by Lucy; 07-Aug-2005, 18:40. Reason: typos

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Yup. You nailed me. I'm a tree hugger. Some day I'll meet you in person and give you a ride in my hybrid car...it's not a convertible, don't worry. Since LASIK, the hubby isn't allowed to consider a convertible.

The only thing worse-feeling than Restasis for the eyes is capzasin, eh?

Just being stupid on a slow Sunday.

Comment

Oh, I have been the recipient of a pair of Clic goggles which rival your blue ones in your pic. These are orange. Imagine that. So, now I can have shiny orange eyes. Ethel gave them to me.

I sure messed up on the typing on the other post. A Republican tree-hugger just doesn't cut it.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

SSSssshhh....better be quiet about that Republican thing. I might lose my status as Homes' favorite DEZ poster! Then again, maybe I'll move up a notch. Ya never know.

That Ethel, boy, she just knew you looked good in orange. I always sensed you were jealous of my blue mirrors. Glad to know you're keeping up with me.

Comment

The warmers I provided a link are actually not the only ones available and not the ones I had in mind, they were just an example. Others that I have seen are single use/disposable. It was just an idea. You could also wrap them in some film before applying if you were worried about chemical leakage.

The ideal thing in my mind would be some kind of elecrtrical device which heated up small ) shaped rod which you could apply comfortably to your lower or upper lids. But dont know if this would be workable or if it would require mains power or battery power. But being American one of you would probably swallow it and get electrocuted and then sue the ass of everyone... just kidding

Comment

EyeFeel

I have a heated eyelash curler that might work! And I haven't swallowed it yet. Good thing it has batteries, so I can't get electrocuted in case I did!

Comment

Fortunately, we Americans also tend to be abundantly well-fed, so it probably wouldn't be a problem.

Comment

hand warmers

My boys have used some hand warmers for football. If I recall, they were fairly cheap. I think you got several hand warmers for a dollar or two. Just open them, crunch them and they are warm. Not something you would want for everyday use as they would get expensive, but would be nice for traveling. They were sold in the sports sections.
                              I am always making my trip down to the lobby microwave with my gel pack. Now when I travel, I try and find rooms with microwaves. Not always possible, but it is surprising how many do have them if you ask.

Comment

Working...
                              X