EyeFeel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markL
    But being American one of you would probably swallow it and get electrocuted and then sue the ass of everyone... just kidding
    Nonsense. All American widget distributors worth their salt these days have prominent warning labels saying "DO NOT IMBIBE", irrespective of the nature or size of the widget.

Awhile back I got several hundred imprinted promotional items as giveaways during an optometry convention. They were called "Eyeball in a Dish". Each one basically consisted of something slightly larger than a real-life whole eyeball, made of some disgustingly sticky material, in a sort of giant flip-top contact lens case. When asked, we called them dry eyes. They were a hit, incidentally, except that occasionally someone would stop by the booth, stare hard, and say "But what's it FOR?" I digress.... Anyway the warning label includes this most useful warning: "Do not put in mouth, eyes, or ears."
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca, you sent me one of those disgusting eyeballs, and my kids loved it! (Just playing with it, not eating it!)

Not sure how this thread has deteriorated to this point, but there it is...

In all seriousness, though, I would like to try the EyeFeel, but a google search turned up a blog page, some "erotic wear" that I definitely do NOT want to know more about, and the FDA approval for Dr Tseng's product. How did you order yours, Rebecca? (Or if it was a sample, did they give you some ordering info?)

--Erik

Comment

EyeFeel is a trademark used by Bio-Lipid for an eye warmer product made by a Japanese company.

Japanese Journal of Ophthalmology article

Abstract

Purpose

To assess the clinical efficacy of a newly developed disposable eyelid-warming device (Eye Warmer) for the treatment of meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD).

Methods

The Eye Warmer was applied for 5 minutes to 44 eyes of 22 patients who exhibited decreased tear break-up time (BUT) and dry-eye symptoms. Its efficacy was assessed on the basis of BUT and dry-eye symptoms in the short-term study. In the therapeutic study, the Eye Warmer was applied to 34 eyes of 17 MGD patients with decreased BUT and dry-eye symptoms for 5 minutes once a day for 2 weeks. The 16 eyes of 8 patients served as untreated controls. We examined tear film lipid layer interference patterns, BUT, meibomian gland secretion, and dry-eye symptoms in both groups before and after the treatment.

Results

BUT and dry-eye symptoms significantly improved after the treatment in both the short-term and the therapeutic study (P<.01). The incidence of normal tear lipid layer in the treated group was significantly higher after treatment (28 eyes [82.4%]) than before (19 eyes [55.9%]) (P = .036). The incidence of meibomian gland obstruction was significantly decreased after treatment (14 eyes [41.2%]) compared to before treatment (26 eyes [76.5%]) (P = .006).

Conclusions

Warming the eyelids with the Eye Warmer improved the stability and uniformity of the tear lipid layer in MGD patients by melting the meibomian gland lipid. Our study demonstrates the usefulness of the Eye Warmer for the treatment of MGD.

Author Keywords: Meibomian gland dysfunction; tear film; temperature; warm compress
        Last edited by kurt; 09-Aug-2005, 14:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik
          How did you order yours, Rebecca? (Or if it was a sample, did they give you some ordering info?)
          I just got a few samples, for myself and a doctor and another patient nearby. Nobody's marketing them in the US yet so for the time being they can be purchased from Dr. Tseng's office (tel. 305-274-1299).

Side note: Our Dry Eye Shop was born as a way to make some products that were very difficult to procure more readily available. We have no vision for making it a one-stop-shop for dry eye gear. However IF several of you try something, AND find it useful, and it's difficult to get ahold of for whatever reason, we'll certainly be willing to consider requests to stock it. But it's gotta get a thumbs up from at least a few dry eye veterans around here first.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Please describe, Rebecca

Rebecca, would you please give us a description in your own words? Maybe I'm just being lazy, but the description was almost nil. I did see the pic and they look like disposable pads. Do us a favor and tell us more about them.

Any ballpark figures on how much per dozen? How are they sold?

Thanks, Lucy...
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I participated, about fifteen months ago, in the clinical trial Dr. Tseng was conducting using this Japanese-made eye warmer. The inside is silverish and sort of foil-like. Each product is individually packaged. It comes folded in half. When unfolded, it gets warm. The strap has velcro. You leave it on for five minutes.

(I did gain any benefit from using it.)

Comment

Certainly.

What I got is not like the picture I put in the Encyclopedia (which is the only picture I was able to get) - which has an eye mask over it to hold it into place.

The disposable compresses you get come in a little foil envelope about 4" x 4". You open it up, and the compress is folded. It's a very simple, slim, light thing the shape of an eye mask without side straps. One side is covered in a soft white papery material. The other side has a different material and has two oval pockets of the iron powder.

I have used twice so far. I simply unfolded it and placed it over my eyes, holding it in place with my fingers, and it heats up by itself. Dr. Tseng tells me you can use it up to 25 minutes, but I haven't actually had the patience to find out for myself.

I have not tried it with an eye mask over it. I think that at least for my personal preferences I prefer more pressure than a mask would give.

I was told they are $2.00 apiece. I am not aware of any volume discounts but I would assume that's simply because, as I mentioned, they're not really being marketed yet so probably no one's given it much thought. With current pricing, it's probably not something you're going to buy and use 5x a day, but as I said I think it could be very attractive for travel, work, etc.

I'm expecting to get more information later this month and will keep you posted.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks, Becca, that helps me a lot. I would be interested in hearing more as you get the information. It sounds like something I could use.

Lucy
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Kurt... think we posted at the same time. Did you mean you did, or didn't, get any benefit? If you don't mind my asking, how did you use it - with an eye mask, or holding it up with your hands?
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Sorry, I meant to say that I didn't gain any special benefit from it, but I do agree, it makes doing warm compresses more convienent (if it does become publically available at a reasonable price since it can't be reused).

Back when I was in the clinical trial, I did show the eye warmer to an O.D., and he remarked, "oh, that is similiar (in principle) to the hand warmers I use when skiing." He had one in the office (he may have recommended them to patients with meibomian gland dysfunction, as they were reusuable). The hand warmer contained a small metal disc inside a soft gel pad that when clicked caused the contents to crystalized to a preset temperature. It was similiar to this thing thermo-pad.com/handwarm.htm, only rounder.

The Japanese eye warmer doesn't contain a metal disc or gel or a metal disc but it works on similiar principles.
                      Last edited by kurt; 10-Aug-2005, 09:43.

Comment

OK, so we're looking at $32 for four that can be reused but must be boiled after each use vs. $2 apiece for disposables. Choices are a good thing.

As a safety matter though I think I would want to know, for any self-heating device that has not specifically been tested on eyes, what temperature it heats to and whether doctors deem that safe for ophthalmic use. I'll ask around and see what I can find out and if anybody else knows more please do tell!
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                        X