Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

doc expressed glands but said they will just get clogged again/mgd flare seasons?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doc expressed glands but said they will just get clogged again/mgd flare seasons?

well my doc expressed my glands but made the comment that they will just get clogged again-which i know..was wondering how many of you get your glands expressed and how long it lasts for you? also does MGD flare during season changes?
    Jenny

hi jenny,

i express the glands myself. once per day after i've done the warm compress.
    usually the glands are clogged again the very next day.
    season wise this is the worst period of the year due to the heating in houses,buildings,malls and so on.
    i'd put anything in my eyes in order to keep my glands open for longer than just one day or so. but what?
    i now do my eyelidscrubs with a dilution of water and tea tree oil. doesn't help a bit,but it is supposed to keep any unwanted bacteria at bay. these bacteria seem to be partly responsible for the prematurely clogging of the glands.

patrick..

Comment

Patrick:
      Using the regimen that you just outlined in your last post, how do you feel? Do you get through the days without discomfort, or do you still feel pain?

Jenny:
      I am not speaking from personal experience here, but my understanding would be that if you express the glands and keep doing hot compresses with expression of the glands, while using treatments such as doxycycline, cyclosporine, and azasite, they should remain unblocked. In other words, I think your doctor is right to tell you that they will block again, UNLESS you continuously keep them unblocked.

In order to keep your glands unblocked, I would recommend the following:
      - Do hot compresses with expression of the glands
      - Use doxycycline
      - Use azasite
      - Use cyclosporine/restasis
      - Do lid scrubs

In the event that your glands get blocked up again, I would recommend that you:
      - Return to your doctor so s/he can unblock them again for you
      - Repeat the 5 steps above

Two question for you Jenny:
      1. What method did your doctor use to express them?
      2. How often do you get this done?

Comment

i usually have to get them expressed 1 time a month..they get clogged within 3 weeks... i cant use azasite as i am allergic to BAK.. I do daily warm compresses with massage and use doxy and restasis.. I used to use ocusoft lid wipes but they still got clogged and my doc told me to stop using them. as far as the compress i usually apply the thermoeyes for about 5-7 minutes and then massage with my fingers both the upper and lower lids about 10 times
        Jenny

Comment

Sounds like you've got the right idea then. How long have you been doing this for? Are you improving?

Also, what exactly does your doctor do to express your glands? Does he use a Q-tip? A paddle? Probing? Thanks

Tankie

p.s. If you can't handle Azasite due to BAK allergies you can still use azythromycine, however it would have to be compounded in a vehicle other than Durasite.

Comment

Tankie-the doc uses qtips. i have had the paddle used before but it didnt seem to help much
            i tried azasite for about a week but again due to the bak i couldnt use it. i didnt know you could get it unpreserved. i will have to talk to my
            doc about it.
            thanks
            Jenny

Comment

I'm not so sure you can get it unpreserved, but:
              - You can definitely get it compounded in things other than Durasite
              - You can definitely get it compounded in a vehicle that does not contain BAK.

I really hope this helps! Good luck Jenny

Tankie

Comment

tankie: i get through the days rather ok,but there is not a single day that i'm not in pain. can't even remember the time my eyes were feeling normal. i really can't remember it anymore! i'm used to it now and it more or less doesn't bother me anymore. things are the way they are. i've come to terms with it. however some days are worse than others. i also have really good days,but i don't know why some are better and some are worse. i would really like to try azasite/azyter or low dose doxy,but i can't get it prescribed where i live. i can get a three months supply of doxy from someone,but that would mean that i have to go using this without being under the supervision of a doctor and i find that a little irresponsible.

Comment

Patrick: Interesting. Do you have good times of day and and bad times of day? For example, perhaps you feel at your best 3 hours after expression, and you feel at your worst first thing in the morning and last thing at night?
                  Last edited by Tankie; 23-Nov-2011, 18:10.

Comment

Working...
                  X