Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

got glands expressed and eyes are killing me-doc pushed so hard. comments?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got glands expressed and eyes are killing me-doc pushed so hard. comments?

ok i went to a doc locally-he pushed so hard and for so long -said that my glands had white stuff coming out about an inch long-i just had them expressed monday -or so i thought. .. anyway, my eyes are killing me.,..omg.. everytime i blink.. he said its from all the manipulation and bec ause they were that clogged..wow.. he said just to use rewetting drops...

i really liked this doc-very caring.. but i was curious if anyone else has gone through such a painful gland expression and felt like this afterward..thanks guys!
    Jenny

I've got the answer to this one Jenny!

This was written by doctor John A. Hovanesian:
    Another approach is surgical meibomian gland expression performed in the office. Using two cotton-tip applicators, the examiner can apply bimanual pressure to the glands of the lower lid, expressing the opaque, inspissated, staph-laden material. (Upper lids can be expressed also but it leads to greater patient discomfort.) If you've ever performed this lipid catharsis, you know from somewhat grotesque personal experience the sheer amount of "gunk" that can be painstakingly (and painfully) removed with proper technique. The masochistic patients who return periodically for this time-consuming procedure do seem to experience true and prolonged relief. Why else would they ask for this procedure again?

In my own experience with this procedure, most patients experience discomfort for about 24 hours afterwards, with extensive pus production and stinging of the lids. This can be treated by the patient regularly irrigating the lids with eye wash for the first day and applying a topical antibiotic/steroid for 72 hours. It is worthwhile to clearly warn patients about this postoperative ordeal prior to the procedure.

Source: http://www.osnsupersite.com/view.aspx?rid=61149

Comment

I have a few questions for you Jenny:
      1. I know this might sound like a dumb question, but what do the Q-Tips look like? I want to make sure they are just your typical double-sided Q-Tips.
      2. Are you aware of any pictures or videos of this procedure being done? Can you send me a link me to this?
      3. How long does it take the doctor to perform this on you?
      4. Does the doctor do this to both the upper and lower glands on each eye?
      5. Are the lower glands more painful to have expressed? The upper glands? Or is it about the same for both?
      6. Is it more difficult for the doctor to express the upper glands?
      7. Does it take the doctor more time to express the upper glands?
      8. How regularly is your doctor willing to do this for you? Twice a week? Once every 3 weeks? etc.
      9. How regularly does your doctor recommend that you have this done? Twice a week? Once every 3 weeks? etc.

Sorry about grilling you on this! I just want to have as much information as possible before I go ahead and do this myself

Comment

thanks for your reply. yes 2 double sidesd qtips .. took about 5 minutes.hurt like hell-still does... both upper and lower lids were done
        i go back in 3 weeks i believe... my doc who i used to go to (he retired) never pushed this hard-but this doc said my glands had toothpaste stuff coming out-some an inch long.. sound familiar??? i am getting strict with my diet-may even go mostly vegetarian -i hate that most stuff has omega 6 in it
        Jenny

Comment

Thanks Jenny.

I wasn't able to find a video where a doctor uses 2 Q-Tips, but I did find a couple where the doctor uses 1 Q-Tip and his thumb.

Here's one example of a doctor using 1 Q-Tip and his thumb:

Here is a second example of a doctor using 1 Q-Tip and his thumb:

Here's an example where the doctor uses a Mastrota Paddle and his thumb:

Comment

If anyone knows of a video where the doctor uses 2 Q-Tips, please let me know! Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X