Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gland expression Opthamologist or Optometrist?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gland expression Opthamologist or Optometrist?

Just a quick question to those of you who have your glands manually expressed. From what I understand gland expression is something that most eyecare professionals should be able to do. To those who have their glands expressed on a regular basis do you have yours done by an Ophthamologist or an Optometrist? Does it really make a difference apart from the fact that Optometrists charge a lot less to squeeze your eyelids? Any help on this greatly appreciated.

My doctor does this for me for free. However, I've started doing it myself (twice per day) with a wetted Q-Tip (I just use tap water) and my pointer finger. The reason for wetting the Q-Tip is because by saturating the Q-Tip with water it makes it so that it doesn't absorb moisture from the inside of my eyes once the Q-Tip is inserted.

I would caution anyone considering trying this to be extremely careful until you understand where to place the Q-Tip, where to place your finger, and the amount of pressure you can use (be extremely gentle at first until you get the hang of it).

I can literally see the meibum coming out of my meibomian glands when I do this.

I find that when I stand still under a hot shower spray for 3-5 minutes (this is how I do my hot compresses, I don't use a rice baggy or a cloth) and then immediately get out the shower and do the expression with the Q-Tip I usually can't see the oil coming out of my glands because it's a clear liquid. However, whenever I express my glands first thing in the morning without doing the hot compress first, the meibum oozes its way out as a white hardened material.
    Last edited by Tankie; 21-Sep-2012, 16:37.

Comment

Robster,
      I've seen several opths since the onset of this malady 2 1/2 years ago. The only one who would do the glands for me is the guy I go to for IPl. The rest of them just said no, they don't do that, no, it's a bad idea etc. I haven't been able to work out a method to do this myself that doesn't seem to make my eyes more inflamed, I'd love to have a local dr. who would help me out with this.

Comment

I too struggle with finding a local doctor who is willing to express and the only expression I have had is after IPL this past Monday. I have tried myself, but really don't see anything coming out. I will say I was shocked how hard the doctor had to press after the IPL so I wonder if it takes a good bit to get it flowing - even after a hot compress. Bunnyrabbitt123, would you be willing to instant message on the IPL to compare? I am really pleased so far, but have only had one treatment and am wondering if your IPL doctor also asked you to use rx drops until your next IPL. Thanks to all.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I think an Optometrist should be fine and I've managed to find one near where I live who has a lot of experience dealing with MGD and also works at the local eye hospital as well as having a local practice. Met him today and he really seems to know his stuff as well as having the added bonus of having worked for laser eye surgery clinics in the past so I'm booked in for my very first expression next week! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Comment

gichamp,
            pm'd you with IPL info.

Comment

Wow, Robster- good for you!!! I'm really envious!

Comment

Woah, Robster. Very good find.
                Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Thanks, bunnyrabbit123, I pm'd you back also. Appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                  X