Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goo form expressed glands

Hi all,

Whilst at the eye doc the other day, he decided to manually express my glands, he said one eye was particularly blocked. Funny that because I had just a few hours before hand soaked, warmed, massaged and expressed them myself.

He gave me eye drops to numb the pain before prodding the lid with a cotton bud type tool. He talked me through each and every expression and managed to get them all unblocked fairly easily. There were no akward ones.

After getting home some hours later my eye was a bit red, sore and irritated. So, looking in the mirror I pulled the lower lid down to have a look, and could see a few little globs of stuff under the lid.

It looks like the oily goo that had been expressed hadn't washed away properly and had stuck in place in little pockets under the lid where it had been flattened so as I wouldn't directly feel them. A cotton bud soon mopped them up and out, and a good eye bath later I was immediately on the road to recovery.

My main point though is the ittitation that the goo generated, something I hadn't thought about before. To me, it looks like it's not enough to get dry eyes through blepharitis, the goo itself if it hangs about to long is an irritant in itself.

Ian.

I get that too...sometimes

I don't know what it is either...to me it seems a bit much coming from a blocked gland...and you are right...if you dont get it out it irritates your eyes even more....hmmm?

Comment

The goo probably contains pro-inflammatory cytokines that will cause further inflammation/irritation. Best to flush out the eyes with a vial of PF drops after each expression. Dr. Latkany recommends this in his "eye spa" chapter of his dry eye book The Dry Eye Remedy.

Comment

Working...
      X