Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’’ve used NAC tablets (I forget the dosage) for a couple months, but I’ve experienced no obvious effect. It seems very low risk compared to say fat soluble vitamins and is inexpensive to boot, so it can’t hurt to try. Its effect as a mucolytic agent (increasing the mucus layer of tear film) has been shown in some studies, but I believe that is primarily for the topical version of NAC. I’’ve only used the oral form and don’t know how to get access to the topical version.

Comment

• I just saw this and ordered some NAC and hylaronic acid supplements. Cant hurt might help. My daily regimen of vitamins and supplements is getting bloated.

Also have been on a meat and green vegetable diet. Near zero carbs. Not sure if its helping but i want to have as many anti-inflammation things going simultaneously when i get lipiflow and IPL.

Zero carb diet
      Tumeric
      Fish oil/hydroeyes with GLA
      ebsom salt baths where i put my head under the water and jyst my nose out so my eyes and head are under water. That really helps.
      Restasis?
      Now NAC and HA pills
      doxy 100mg twice a day

Comment

• Originally posted by edmunder View Post
        I just saw this and ordered some NAC and hylaronic acid supplements. Cant hurt might help. My daily regimen of vitamins and supplements is getting bloated.

Also have been on a meat and green vegetable diet. Near zero carbs. Not sure if its helping but i want to have as many anti-inflammation things going simultaneously when i get lipiflow and IPL.

Zero carb diet
        Tumeric
        Fish oil/hydroeyes with GLA
        ebsom salt baths where i put my head under the water and jyst my nose out so my eyes and head are under water. That really helps.
        Restasis?
        Now NAC and HA pills
        doxy 100mg twice a day
        doxy at 200mg / day seems excessive -- i did 40 mg / day of doxy and i could already feel the effect.

i actually highly suggest you give azithromycin a try instead of doxy. azithromycin imo is the much better drug compared to doxy for MGD.

Comment

• deep_dry_eye For some reason my doctor was against it. She did prescribe blood serum drops. I give blood monday and get them tuesday or wednesday.

On the 26st im seeing a dry eye doctor instead of the local one and i will ask for that azithromycin after i get lipiflow.

what do doctors tell you to do after lipiflow? Be viligant about warm compress and expressing? Do they give short term steroids? Do they offer any hints how to mske it more effective?

Comment

• Originally posted by edmunder View Post
            deep_dry_eye For some reason my doctor was against it. She did prescribe blood serum drops. I give blood monday and get them tuesday or wednesday.

On the 26st im seeing a dry eye doctor instead of the local one and i will ask for that azithromycin after i get lipiflow.

what do doctors tell you to do after lipiflow? Be viligant about warm compress and expressing? Do they give short term steroids? Do they offer any hints how to mske it more effective?
            You need to control the inflammation. Get you Xiidra and Restasis.

Steriods dont really help me. I found topical Azithroymicin to be the best, use that AzaSite to help clear your glands as well. lipiflow + 2 wk azothromycin should help clear your glands. then use xiidra + restasis long term to manage inflammation. you can also do AMT (prokera) as well.

Comment

• Hi Rppnj,

I just read that you are concerned about your blood pressure going up as result of taking NAC. I think the spike that you experienced must have been due to some other cause and not to NAC. I’ve seen some studies that say that NAC actually reduces blood pressure, and you can easily find some of these studies by Googling “Acetylcysteine effect on blood pressure”. I have been taking NAC 600mg once a day for about 4 weeks now and found that my blood pressure has actually gone down. (If you can’t find any of the studies, I’ll try to provide a link to one of them.)

Comment

• Here is some information that I belief contributes to this discussion. I have been taking acetylcysteine 600 mg daily, in the form of everecent tablets, for about 1 months. So far I have hardly noticed any improvement. However, I have found 5 scientific studies in which acetylcysteine or N-acetylcysteine, which his the same, has been used to study its effects variously on chronic blepharitis, meibomian gland dysfunction and dry eye syndrome. All of studies reported significant improvements in objective criteria. That sounds very promising! However, all of the studies have fairly small sample sizes, which probably means that their findings are not generalizable. This is why I feel it could be very useful to interchange experience with taking acetylcysteine as a supplement, on an ongoing basis. It could help to confirm the positive findings of the studies. Another reason for reporting experiences over a period of, say, six months is that systemic treatments (medicine taken orally rather than applied topically), often takes a considerable time before having any effect. Please note that except for one study, all used topical acetylcysteine eye drops. Hope this is useful. Here are the details and URLs of 4 studies.

N-Acetylcysteine in chronic blepharitis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20653477/

Comparison of the efficacy of topical N-acetylcysteine and a topical-steroid in the treatment of MGD

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubme...653477/related

Efficacy of topical N-Acetylcysteine in the treatment o MGD

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20653477/

Acetylcysteine in kerato-conjunctivitis sicca

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506584/

Comment

Working...
                X