Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

quitting doxy after 5 years... anybody else quit it???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dry eye doc has me on Doxy. I feel it's done nothing and besides I believe it's unhealthy to be on an oral antibiotic for too long. I'd rather try Azasite and will request this on my next visit. (I have a sneaky suspicion he'll want me to increase Doxy to two times a day, or double the dose from 100 to 200 mg...I refuse). Besides, if there's hardly any tears being produced, what's the point of increasing oil production? it has nothing to hold onto.

Comment

Had a few really bad cases of heartburn and figure it was a reslut of the doxy use. Sometimes I'll feel like I need to start taking it again and will try it for a few days but the feelings of oncoming heartburn and acid reflux will usually shut me down after a few days. Too bad i think the stuff worked to some degree for me, well at least it kept the skin pretty much free of blemishes.

Comment

Yes Jenny its helping i think perhaps 10% but my eyes r severe . but Im all plugged. not a miracle cure but only using for one week. comfort for a few days though far from normal is such a blessing after months of discomfort . its azithromycin preservative free . very expensive ointment . no doxy or cyclosporin.
        http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

I won't take any antibiotics anymore unless I am at death's door. Last year I was taking doxy regularly, and developed acid reflux, yeast infections, and a host of stomach problems. I honestly think long-term antibiotic use made me quite sick, and am still trying to recover. Also, it didn't do much good. I am interested in knowing how you fare with the preservative free azithromycin, soaps. The Azasite I used was not pre-free, and made my eyes look like they were bleeding.

Comment

Hello . no probs with it. is it helping ? I don't know . its an ointment on eyelids so it makes my eyes moist but glands still blocked . i have moved on in a way (in terms of thinking about my eyes) so less stress perhaps is helping. another 3 more weeks before stopping as per Dr. Im on weekly visits (lol) so running out of questions for Dr to ask so if u have any please let me know ....

Comment

soaps.. is it helping your meibomian glands ?? let us know when you go to the doc if your glands look better! i would love totry the pres. free type-how long does it last ? a month or longer?? most of my drops or preservative free and they only last 1 month after opening... is the ointment the same? i tried azasite years ago and it burnt me so bad i had to stop but i think it might be from the preservative..
              Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron77 View Post
                Had a few really bad cases of heartburn and figure it was a reslut of the doxy use. Sometimes I'll feel like I need to start taking it again and will try it for a few days but the feelings of oncoming heartburn and acid reflux will usually shut me down after a few days. Too bad i think the stuff worked to some degree for me, well at least it kept the skin pretty much free of blemishes.
                Aaron, my ophthalmologist made it very clear to me that Doxy can and will cause reflux. So he suggests having it IMMEDIATELY after food. Or you could have three quarters of your meal, take a Doxy and finish the rest of your food. I've followed this procedure and have not had any heartburn (reflux). Did your doctor warn you about Reflux? If not, why not?

Comment

Hi Jenny . i have been on it for 3-4 weeks with weekly visits but glands still blocked so not helping yet. it only last one month and is preservative free . Will keep u posted.

In regards to doxy despite all my good behaviou (taking with meals, sitting one hour post and having no acid inducing food for 4 months) i have developed horrid reflux one month post quitting . i was on it for 4-5 months . ahhhh .

Comment

Working...
                  X