Doxycycline Monohydrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doxycycline Monohydrate

I have had a really bad case of blepharitis/meibomitis along with my dry eyes. Was taking 50 mg of Doxycycline Monohydrate for 8 weeks. Saw some improvement but still not cleared up. Also used AzaSite for 1 week and now am using it 2x a week for 2 weeks then 1x a week for 6 months.

Two days ago started taking the Doxycycline Monohydrate 50 MG twice a day. After the first day, noticed marked improvement in my dry eyes--much more tears and comfort. Does anyone know how long you can safely take a total of 100 MG of Doxycycline Monohydrate a day? I feel I can function normally taking 100 MG.

If I can clear up the blepharitis/meibomits, will my eyes be less dry so I can take less doxy? Also, doc will put me on Restasis if I can clear up the eyelids.

Your comments are much appreciated.

my doctor has me taking 100 mg per day as the inflammation hasn't cleared yet. Once u get the inflammation down you should be able to take 50mg per day. be sure the lids are clean and increase your consumption of omega 3 fats. this should help! I am also on Restasis which I have mixed feelings about. My eyes are drier without it BUT they are more red now with the Restasis. I can't win lol

Comment

Hi Johni

Note this is a fellow patients opinion and you should also ask your doctor those questions...

100 mg/day is still actually pretty low dose and if you are taking it as 2 x 50mg there's less to worry about. All three times I've been prescribed doxy by ophthalmologists its been 100mg/day for a course of three months. Also, the anti malaria dose is typically 100mg/day and people go on this for well over a year with doctors endorsements. Of course no antibiotic is completely harmless so you should always evaluate the cost/benefit in your individual case.

If your blepharitis/meibomits clears it is my understanding that the maintenance dose to keep them cleared is typically less than the dose it took to get there.

All the best

Comment

I've been on Doxy 100mg/day for 4 months - zero benefits. My next ophthalmologist appointment is next week, I wonder if he'll want me to double the dose. I will disagree. The benefit to risk ratio is not worth it. Doctors say people with acne take Doxy long term and it's safe. But I say it totally destroys the microflora in the gut and leads to leaky gut which leads to auto-immune problems. And what about anti-biotic resistance? Anti-biotics are over prescribed.

Comment

I have been taking a probiotic for colon and digestive health and so far have not had any digestive problems. I was suggested to me by a friend whose brother-in-law is a doctor and had recommended it for her when she was taking antibiotics.

Comment

Hmmmm generally, probiotics and anti-biotics should not be used together. Because the anti-biotics will kill the bacteria in the probiotic supplements. It kills all microflora bacteria and doesn't know which is beneficial or bad. So usually, you'd start probiotics after a course of anti-biotics to re-establish gut flora balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope4Johni View Post
              I have had a really bad case of blepharitis/meibomitis along with my dry eyes. Was taking 50 mg of Doxycycline Monohydrate for 8 weeks. Saw some improvement but still not cleared up. Also used AzaSite for 1 week and now am using it 2x a week for 2 weeks then 1x a week for 6 months.

Two days ago started taking the Doxycycline Monohydrate 50 MG twice a day. After the first day, noticed marked improvement in my dry eyes--much more tears and comfort. Does anyone know how long you can safely take a total of 100 MG of Doxycycline Monohydrate a day? I feel I can function normally taking 100 MG.

If I can clear up the blepharitis/meibomits, will my eyes be less dry so I can take less doxy? Also, doc will put me on Restasis if I can clear up the eyelids.

Your comments are much appreciated.
              As with any drug, the less medication one has to take, the better. However, obviously there are times when despite the risk of side effects from a medication, the benefits outweigh the risk, right?

There are no firm rules for how long one can stay on doxy - some people end up on it for years because if they go off it, the problem it's treating comes right back... other people can go on it for flare ups, and go off it completely in between.... others go on a higher dose for flare-ups, then a low dose for maintenance in between flares.

You just have to figure out which category you belong to Trial and error... experiment to see how little you can get away with... you'll get a feel for how YOU respond to various dosages. And also keep searching for the root cause of your MGD since finding THAT out may enable you to stop the doxy altogether if you're lucky... in my case, it was eating wheat and once I stopped eating wheat, I was finally able to go off doxy (my glands look normal as long as I don't eat wheat... go figure).

And yes, if they doxy clears up your MG's, there's a very good chance your eyes will feel less dry.

Comment

I was on low dose doxy Hyclate 50mg for many monhs (probably 6) which Dr increased to 100mg when it just wasnt handling the inflamation anymore. I lasted about 2 months on the 100mg and then had the worse heart burn, acid reflux, pain/burning in esophagus. woke me up in the middle of the night, it hurts to swallow food or even water. We cut the doxy to 50mg and I started a new diet - anti candida incase I had an overgrowth, drank aloe to heal the gi tract, took antacids from the health food store, raised the head of my bed 6" (keeps acid from back up), stopped eating at least 2 hrs before bed and took DGL tablets from health food store too (to heal gi tract)....all this worked but yikes. My eyes are more inflamed some but the side effects of the antibiotics were intolerable. Just wanted to share what helped me to get the gi symptoms under control,

Comment

Doxy for Corneal Healing?

I've been taking 100 mg doxy for about 8 mos. My Dr has me on it for improved healing of the cornea, because aside from MGD, EBMD, and Dry Eye Disease, I have recurrent corneal erosions (RCEs). She said there's some anecdotal evidence that it increases the progress of corneal healing, and makes for a cornea with more normal cells structure. Anybody ever heard of this use? Of course, it doesn't hurt my blepharitis...

Comment

Doxycycline has an ability to inhibit matrix metalloproteinase.

Matrix metalloproteinase expression is up-regulated in corneal epithelia affected by recurrent erosion, it is concentrated in basal epithelial cells where it may play an important role in degradation of the epithelial anchoring system and the recurrent epithelial slippage and erosion.

So if you inhibit it's production it can decrease the erosions.

Comment

Originally posted by wagnermid View Post
                      Doxycycline has an ability to inhibit matrix metalloproteinase.

Matrix metalloproteinase expression is up-regulated in corneal epithelia affected by recurrent erosion, it is concentrated in basal epithelial cells where it may play an important role in degradation of the epithelial anchoring system and the recurrent epithelial slippage and erosion.

So if you inhibit it's production it can decrease the erosions.
                      What about Minocycline versus Doxycycline??

Comment

from what I've read - doxy is more researched for eye health - and, may be more specific for the eyes.

Minocycline improves all sorts of inflammation - and crosses the blood-brain barrier - so, in my opinion is better reserved for folks that have inflammation as well as more corneal pain -

Minocycline is being studied for everything for blepharitis to schizophrenia... it has more side effects as it acts on the central nervous system (as it crosses the BB barrier) - but, more potential to improve function for diseases in which the CNS is implicated -

my 2 cents --

Comment

Originally posted by Dog2012 View Post
                          What about Minocycline versus Doxycycline??

I think it is any oral tetracycline. Doxycycline is said to have less side effects. My son was on Erythromycin for many years and recently changed to Doxycycline now that his teeth are thought to be fully formed, the Dr's think doxycycline will be more effective.

Comment

Working...
                          X