This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doxycycline, am I doing it wrong?

So the first time I tried doxy, I was on 100mg a day and my eyes cleared up in a matter of days. Unfortunately after a couple of weeks, my eyes were back to normal.. and I thought that was the end of it. Doxy was not the cure.

About a year later, I asked my GP to put me on mino, but he insisted that I do another round of doxy. I did one week of 100mg, two times a day, followed by 100mg once a day for two weeks. After three weeks, my eyes were still sore and red, and I gave up. I could have asked my GP for more doxy, but I didn't. Again I thought that doxy was not the cure. What does happen when I'm on doxy is that my skin clears up, my blackheads pop out and my skin gets incredibly greasy (which I can deal with, if only it would clear up my eyes).

So now I'm wondering, how long does it take for doxy to unclog the meibomian glands? Considering I've been suffering from dry, inflamed eyes for years, perhaps it takes months for my meibomian glands to clear up (unlike my skin, which only took a week or so). It's obvious that doxy unclogs pores, and considering how thorough I am when it comes to my skincare routine (although my skin is far from perfect), it would make sense if my pores would unclog long before my meibomian glands. Right?

Although I've given up on eye doctors (the last one told me that "we all have issues we need to learn to live with", and that my eyes weren't that bad), I've made an appointment with a dry eye clinic. Hopefully they can sort out my "issues" :S When I called to make an appointment, the receptionist immediately assumed I wanted lasik, so I'm guessing they don't get a lot of people my age with these problems.

So for those of you on doxy, how long did it take before you saw results?

It took me three months before my glands started getting unclogged. I don't feel like its working as well now though.. I've been using it for about six months 100 mg per day. I wish it cleared the annoying red eyes lol but it didn't.

Comment

Funny. I don't have big MGD, but doxy helped a ton when I first started using it. Now I'm not so sure how much it is really helping. I'm gonna stay on it though.
      32/M ATD • Getting better every day!

Comment

I took a picture of my eyes earlier today, and thought I would post it. Don't they look horrible? I took the picture with my iphone, so I apologize for the poor quality.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Leelah; 25-Apr-2013, 12:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
          It took me three months before my glands started getting unclogged. I don't feel like its working as well now though.. I've been using it for about six months 100 mg per day. I wish it cleared the annoying red eyes lol but it didn't.
          Have you tried anything else to treat you red eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by MartyM1985 View Post
            Funny. I don't have big MGD, but doxy helped a ton when I first started using it. Now I'm not so sure how much it is really helping. I'm gonna stay on it though.
            If you don't have mgd, why do you take doxy? Does it treat other eye problems?

Comment

Originally posted by Leelah View Post
              If you don't have mgd, why do you take doxy? Does it treat other eye problems?
              Treats inflammation, helps keep my glands producing oil when my eyes get dry.
              32/M ATD • Getting better every day!

Comment

Working...
              X