This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Paradox of Doxycycline

So hear me out on this... interested in your guys' opinions.

Doxyclycline is prescribed by ophthalmologists for almost all cases of dry eye (at least such has been my experience with various doctors). It is supposed to help with MGD & inflammation in order to help restore normal tear flow.

FYI, I am ATD and have shown only minimal MGD issues. My problem has always been a lack tears.

Anyway, a known side effect of doxycycline is increased photo-sensitivity, which is already a symptom of most forms dry eye. So the condition is being treated with an antibiotic that only makes the light sensitivity symptoms worse.

So if my biggest issue is light sensitivity, and I am being treated with doxy... then aren't I just making my symptoms worse with the drug?

Should I jump off doxy? I've been on it for a month this time around... this is my second time around with doxy, on my second ever dry eye "flare up" in life. And although I am improving with tear flow, the light sensitivity is still a *****.

Thanks guys.
    32/M ATD • Getting better every day!

I have been using doxy for months now, and the only sensitivity it has caused is my skin. My eyes are better on it than off. I am also experiencing a BAD flare probly my second worst one, even my serum is burning. I ran out of my theralife vitamins and my eyes always rebound when I stop using them, they really do work.

I have never heard of doxy increasing eye sensitivity to light... if your MGD is just mild it should work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
      I have never heard of doxy increasing eye sensitivity to light.
      I'm pretty sure it does. Googled it. And I'm pretty sure it augments my symptoms.

Comment

I agree with Faith. It increases *skin* photosensitivity, not eye photosensitivity. This is why I decrease my dose during the summer to minocycline 50mg/day. Other times I'm on doxycycline 100mg/day. Both help with inflammation of the MGs and make better quality oil secretions.

Comment

"Some medications may cause light sensitivity as a side effect, including belladonna, furosemide, quinine, tetracycline and doxycycline."

I ain't making things up!

Comment

Keep in mind that for MOST people, antibiotics in the tetracycline family (ex. doxycycline) do NOT cause the eyes to become more light sensitive (aka photophobia). That being said, this forum is full of exceptions to the rule, but my advice to anyone would be to try it and see what happens - if you have bad luck and it causes your EYES to become more light sensitive, then of course, stop the drug in case you happen to be that one exception.

When medical professionals warn people of photosensitivity with these drugs, they are referring to the SKIN being more prone to sunburn and the like after exposure to UV radiation such as sunlight. So, I'd hate to see someone scared to try one of these meds because of fears of their eyes becoming more light sensitive... odds are VERY high that it won't happen.

When a drug causes LIGHT sensitivity of the eyes, the side effect should be listed as photophobia, rather than photosensitivity. (Just saying, in case people see this term when reading up about other, similar, drugs.)

So in actuality, there is no paradox in prescribing doxy for dry eyes. Photosensitivity (ie. increased sensitivity of the SKIN to UV light) is typical. Photophobia (ie. increased sensitivity of the EYES to light) is not. Anti-inflammaotry effects and improvement in MGD is typical and we all know how much that can benefit the comfort of our eyes.

Comment

Just to add another tidbit...

*If* tetracycline (incl doxy, mino) caused photophobia (light sensitivity to the EYES), there would be a warning label saying NOT to drive while taking the drug.

As you mentioned Belladonna -- we know that this substance dilates the pupils causing photophobia (and, of course, you shouldn't drive while taking any drug that dilates the pupils).

I think if you're suffering from photophobia, it's probably because your eyes are dry.

Comment

Just in case I was mistaken, tonight I double checked for the potential of photophobia with the tetracycline family of antibiotics in the CPS (reference used by pharmacists and doctors in Canada), and nothing is listed (I was reading the Canadian Pharmacists Association monograph for the tetracycline family)... The only "light sensitivity" mentioned is photosensitivity of the skin when exposed to UV light.

So, as I mentioned before, it's unlikely that anyone would experience photophobia (light sensitivity of the eyes), unless one is a total exception to the rule. Just repeating that again to reassure anyone who is worried about it. You can pretty much assume that the tetracycline family does NOT cause photophobia... if you experience it, then it's probably a fluke.

Comment

Working...
                X