Doxycycline for MGD and blepharitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doxycycline for MGD and blepharitis

So in addition to my regime of hot compresses, lid wipes, and supplements my doctor prescribed doxycycline to me. Anyone use it and had it help?

Also what is the mechanism that is supposed to have it help MGD? I'm a little confused for how an antibiotic would be good.

Originally posted by Johno_87 View Post
    So in addition to my regime of hot compresses, lid wipes, and supplements my doctor prescribed doxycycline to me. Anyone use it and had it help?

Also what is the mechanism that is supposed to have it help MGD? I'm a little confused for how an antibiotic would be good.
    Hi, I am on doxy for just over 1 week. Doxy at a low dose (100mg) reduces inflammation. So, your glands which are inflamed atm, when get better after a couple of months on Doxy!

It can cause stomach upset though, so make sure you replace the good bacteria is it killing

Comment

I recently completed a 3 month Doxy session. I have noticed some improvement, although nothing dramatic.

Doxy helps kills the bacteria that tend to manifest in the eyelid margin of compromised eyes.

Comment

Thanks for the information guys.

Do you feel the results were worth the side effects? I did a heavy course of antibiotics two years ago for H Pylori and am still dealing with the afermath in terms of abdominal pain.

Comment

It's given for a couple reasons, off label for inflammation and it helps reduce the bacterial load slightly. If you can handle it in you're gut, then take it if your dr prescribed it. Good luck.

Comment

I took doxy for 3 months for my MGD. Didn't notice any difference, but I was in "crisis mode" where I'm not sure anything helped at that point. After a 6 week hiatus, I'm back on it again for another 3 months. Now that my eyes are somewhat stable (albeit still painfully dry), I'm hoping maybe I'll notice the effects this time. It seems harmless to me (and my stomach) but I started taking a probiotic in the mornings just in case. It's strange how some studies show that antibiotics help with MGD, yet other reports claim that probiotics can help with MGD. Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by diydry View Post
              I took doxy for 3 months for my MGD. Didn't notice any difference, but I was in "crisis mode" where I'm not sure anything helped at that point. After a 6 week hiatus, I'm back on it again for another 3 months. Now that my eyes are somewhat stable (albeit still painfully dry), I'm hoping maybe I'll notice the effects this time. It seems harmless to me (and my stomach) but I started taking a probiotic in the mornings just in case. It's strange how some studies show that antibiotics help with MGD, yet other reports claim that probiotics can help with MGD. Hmm.

Thanks for your response. I decided to try it (doctor prescribed a low dose of 50mg once a day for 6 weeks). See him in 3 weeks for a follow up, so I'm hoping that there will be a visible difference the next time I see him.

Comment

Gut health is directly linked to gut inflammation. If you use pre and pro biotics, you're maintaining a healthy gut. You end up reducing inflammation all over the body.

Comment

Thanks for your response. I decided to try it (doctor prescribed a low dose of 50mg once a day for 6 weeks). See him in 3 weeks for a follow up, so I'm hoping that there will be a visible difference the next time I see him.
                  Great! Let us know how it works for you. And yes, I will continue using a pre and probiotic for now. I think it's helped my digestion if anything, but I'm not sure about obvious reductions in inflammation yet.

Comment

Great! Let us know how it works for you. And yes, I will continue using a pre and probiotic for now. I think it's helped my digestion if anything, but I'm not sure about obvious reductions in inflammation yet.
                    Will do. And I regularly take a multi-strain probiotic already so hopefully I don't experience any of the nasty side effects.

Comment

Doxycycline is not used for its antibiotic properties but for anti-inflammatory properties. It helps to make the oil more fluid.
                      It has to be used 1 month out of two. Do not expose to the sun.
                      I took doxy for a few months (100mg ) and I felt better after 3 weeks. Normally you could see effects after 1 month.

Comment

Originally posted by mbperso View Post

Doxycycline is not used for its antibiotic properties but for anti-inflammatory properties. It helps to make the oil more fluid.
                        It has to be used 1 month out of two. Do not expose to the sun.
                        I took doxy for a few months (100mg ) and I felt better after 3 weeks. Normally you could see effects after 1 month.

Thanks mbperso, hope I feel the same benefits you did.

Comment

Hi Johno 87

this might interest you. You can use oral Doxycycline long-term with virtually no side effects to treat MGD. However, it is not the usually prescribed 100mg Doxycyline, but rather slow-release 40 mg Doxycycline which preserves the essential anti-inflammatory properties of the stronger version. Although using 40 mg Doxycycline of MGD or posterior blepharitis is an off-label use, there have been a number of studies that document its effectiveness to treat these eye condition. Have a click on the link below to see an example of one of these studies.

http://mediskin.cn/uploadfiles/file/20140109/20140109091445_9439.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by hannsho View Post
                            Hi Johno 87

this might interest you. You can use oral Doxycycline long-term with virtually no side effects to treat MGD. However, it is not the usually prescribed 100mg Doxycyline, but rather slow-release 40 mg Doxycycline which preserves the essential anti-inflammatory properties of the stronger version. Although using 40 mg Doxycycline of MGD or posterior blepharitis is an off-label use, there have been a number of studies that document its effectiveness to treat these eye condition. Have a click on the link below to see an example of one of these studies.

http://mediskin.cn/uploadfiles/file/20140109/20140109091445_9439.pdf
                            Thanks Hannsho, I appreciate the information.

Comment

Hey,users do you know that, the "Comet of death" is approaching to the Earth! Scientists made a statement: in the direction the Earth is approaching the asteroid 2015TB145, this is a dead comet. According to Space.com, this comet will pass from the Earth at a distance of 38 mln km.

Comment

Working...
                              X