Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral Prednisone (Steroid) and Worsening Dry Eye

Dear Friends,

I am currently taking oral prednisone (steroid) for high frequency hearing loss and related tinnitus, for 15 days. I am in my 4th day now. I am just 32 years old and suffer from both dry eye and hearing problems My eyes have permanent red veins and pingueculas due to prolonged dry eye, which started because of contact lense overwear, Accutane and antidepressant pills. After starting prednisone, my eyes are worse and more red, they burn and hurt more than usual. We know that steroid eye drops can cause rebound effect in the eyes, so I want to ask whether oral steroid intake can also cause rebound redness and more dryness similar to eye drops?

I'm sorry you're having such bad problems at the moment. I wish I could offer help...what strikes me as odd is a lot of dry eye sufferers also have tinnitus. I wish I understood the correlation. I have tinnitus as well.

i hope someone can chime in and help you out!

Comment

I was on prednisone for almost 3 years due to an autoimmune condition. My doctor thinks the doxycycline I was taking for ocular rosacea triggered the AIH, so I can never take it again. While I was on pred, my condition stayed under control very well. When I got tapered off of pred, it came back with a vengeance. I was actually thinking about asking if ai could go back on low dose pred to see if it would help.

Comment

Hi Lisa & chuto

based on my experience/research,

effective/safe lid cleanser, such as with pure HOCL, like Avenova, and

healthy diet (omega 3 + GLA, avoid sugar, meat, processed food etc)

work better/safer than doxy etc.
        -----------------------------------------------
        More see my earlier post
        http://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/dr...eyelid-hygiene

in particular:
        -doxy: Some drs even mentioned that such spary can reduce doxy.
        for example, Dr/professor John Sheppard mentioned in video
        (around 33:30)

This long (50 min) video explains very well HOW & WHY Avenova works

''Avenova Webinar with Dr John Sheppard - Optimize Treatment for Your Dry Eye Patients (Oct 11, 2017)''
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmetMN92SM&t=2s

Hope it helps.

Hi Lisa,
        doxy, how long did you take doxy and how much dose per day? Just curious.
        Last edited by MGD1701; 14-Jun-2018, 01:39.

Comment

Working...
        X