Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would doxycycline help me?

Hi all,

I am going to see a new ophthalmologist on Tuesday and I really want to ask her about doxycycline.

I have evaporative dry eye but I dont really know whats causing it. I took a 5 day course of antibiotics three weeks ago for another problem and I noticed an improvement in my eyes, could there be a link and does this suggest that doxy could help me.

Any suggestions or advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
    27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Make sure the ophth does a thorough examination of your meibomian glands and gives you a SPECIFIC diagnosis. (i.e. don't walk out the door with "you've got dry eye" ringing in your ears).

Doxy seems like a reasonable thing to try assuming the issues are in the MGs. Warning... some doctors would tend to blow off any connection between the other antibiotic and your symptom improvement as coincidence (dry eye symptoms DO fluctuate)... so with a doctor you're not yet acquainted, you might or might not want to even mention it... on the other hand there's tons of studies out there on doxycycline and bleph/MGD, so you shouldn't have to work hard to justify it.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Rebecca, this is really useful. I really need to make sure my meibomian glands are working ok as the last ophthalmologist I saw said I didnt have it but he only pulled my bottom eyelid down ever so briefly, I will make sure they do a thorough examination. In my letter they are saying that I will be seen my a member of the team plus the ophthalmologist I wanted to see originally, Im just so worried that they are going to fob me off with someone other than who I wanted to see despite me writing a very long letter about my eye problems over last 7 years.

I might not mention it then but I may just drop doxy into the conversation.

Thanks ever so much

Comment

Hi Rebecca, just a quick question, is there a resource which I could read before my appointment which will ensure that I ask the right questions and dont forget anything? many thanks

Comment

Working...
        X